Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
I use Aux 1 for Bumper LP6 High Beam, Aux 2 for Windshield LP6 High Beam, Aux3 for Amber Backlight, Aux4 for my Rocklights. I don't see any point in using the lowbeam.

I bought the upfitter for the Bumper LP6 but then decided to make my own harness for the other set. Not that difficult to wire yourself, just have to follow the instructions and use the right gauge wire and don't power low and high beam together. In my case, I'm not using low at all.

I have to say, that the Upfitter wiring kit is some high quality goodness.

Picture below don't have the windshield LP6 mounted yet.
IMG_0104.jpg
I just pulled the trigger on 3 LP4s for my bumper. Can you wire the LPs so the backlight comes on with the headlights?
Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I use Aux 1 for Bumper LP6 High Beam, Aux 2 for Windshield LP6 High Beam, Aux3 for Amber Backlight, Aux4 for my Rocklights. I don't see any point in using the lowbeam.

I bought the upfitter for the Bumper LP6 but then decided to make my own harness for the other set. Not that difficult to wire yourself, just have to follow the instructions and use the right gauge wire and don't power low and high beam together. In my case, I'm not using low at all.

I have to say, that the Upfitter wiring kit is some high quality goodness.

Picture below don't have the windshield LP6 mounted yet.
IMG_0104.jpg
What bumper hoop is that? Also can you post some side shots of the LP-6s. Thanks.

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
I just pulled the trigger on 3 LP4s for my bumper. Can you wire the LPs so the backlight comes on with the headlights?
You can but I want the backlight on in Daylight as well so they are wired to Aux3 and I can control them independently.

What bumper hoop is that? Also can you post some side shots of the LP-6s. Thanks.
Warn Low Grille Guard. Don't really have any side shots :(

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 123.PNG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, if anyone is worried about keeping the backlighting on all the time, there are 2 things to consider. 1. They draw amost no power. 2. They are rated to last 50k hours. Your Jeep will be literally a pile of dust long before it could ever reach 50k hours.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Will this harness work with the LP4? What harness is need for the Squadron Pros (4).
You can use this harness for LP4 - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP4-Upfitter-Harness-Single-Light.asp
It doesn't have the hi/lo switch that an LP6/LP9 would require.

The Squadron pairs come with a harness. You can use those, or upgrade to the beefier version that includes a relay - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-s2-wire-harness-3-light-max-325-watts.asp

You'll just need to run a splitter to add a 4th light - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-s2-wire-harness-splitter-adds-1-light.asp

Lots of options in our wiring section in case you need extra lengths extensions or splitters.

Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can use this harness for LP4 - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP4-Upfitter-Harness-Single-Light.asp
It doesn't have the hi/lo switch that an LP6/LP9 would require.

The Squadron pairs come with a harness. You can use those, or upgrade to the beefier version that includes a relay - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-s2-wire-harness-3-light-max-325-watts.asp

You'll just need to run a splitter to add a 4th light - https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-s2-wire-harness-splitter-adds-1-light.asp

Lots of options in our wiring section in case you need extra lengths extensions or splitters.
Thanks. Just ordered 4 Squadron Pro's for the A pillars, and 3 LP4's for the bumper.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hey guys - I've been posting to this thread for a few months now. Before that, Paul was on top of all of your questions and was doing his best to make sure you guys are happy with your lights and confident.

We really do enjoy what we do and making sure we provide the best support we can. That said, it is a huge bummer to put so much effort into a thread that essentially says we don't provide a quality product or support to this community. I don't at all want to come across as petty, but it really sucks to continue to bump a thread that has a title that negatively represents us.

I think we have provided solutions to the concerns initially mentioned in the OP, if not, please let me know. If so, I'd like to propose a thread title change or possible shifting what is essentially our BD support thread to a different OP.

We will certainly continue todo our best to support you guys and I really hope you understand where we are coming from with this request.

Thanks for considering and as always, thanks for the support.

Best,
Chris F.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys - I've been posting to this thread for a few months now. Before that, Paul was on top of all of your questions and was doing his best to make sure you guys are happy with your lights and confident.

We really do enjoy what we do and making sure we provide the best support we can. That said, it is a huge bummer to put so much effort into a thread that essentially says we don't provide a quality product or support to this community. I don't at all want to come across as petty, but it really sucks to continue to bump a thread that has a title that negatively represents us.

I think we have provided solutions to the concerns initially mentioned in the OP, if not, please let me know. If so, I'd like to propose a thread title change or possible shifting what is essentially our BD support thread to a different OP.

We will certainly continue todo our best to support you guys and I really hope you understand where we are coming from with this request.

Best,
Chris F.
I've got plenty to say about how good the support has been and how amazing these lights are, so at the risk of one last bump, I'll start a thread and will come back and link it here.

And here it is! Baja Designs Support Thread

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Best,
Chris F.
Maybe ask the moderators to lock the thread with the last post linking the support thread. Seeing how there is no longer an issue. Just a thought.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
What you will probably want to do is to tie the BD lights into the running lights. Those will always be on when the headlights are. You will essentially run a wire from each light off of the pin wire (pin 3) and tie them together. Then splice that into your running lights circuit. It's a really low amp draw, so you don't have to worry about any fuses blowing. If I were to tie them into the headlights directly, I would use the harness with a relay to isolate the current between the amber lights and the headlights.

I decided to have a dedicated switch for the ambers if in the event a LEO thinks I have too many lights on (even if they are running lights {some cops are idiots}), I can easily turn them off temporarily.

A cool thought about having them tied into the factory lights, is if you use the Z Automotive Tazer, they will be a part of your light show if you use that feature

Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you will probably want to do is to tie the BD lights into the running lights. Those will always be on when the headlights are. You will essentially run a wire from each light off of the pin wire (pin 3) and tie them together. Then splice that into your running lights circuit. It's a really low amp draw, so you don't have to worry about any fuses blowing. If I were to tie them into the headlights directly, I would use the harness with a relay to isolate the current between the amber lights and the headlights.

I decided to have a dedicated switch for the ambers if in the event a LEO thinks I have too many lights on (even if they are running lights {some cops are idiots}), I can easily turn them off temporarily.

A cool thought about having them tied into the factory lights, is if you use the Z Automotive Tazer, they will be a part of your light show if you use that feature
Thanks for this info. I have ZERO talent for these things, but will let my shop know,đź‘Ť

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe ask the moderators to lock the thread with the last post linking the support thread. Seeing how there is no longer an issue. Just a thought.
@pcpopcorn Why does this make you Angry??

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
For those who are somewhat conformable with soldering and technical, here is a DIY writeup on a circuit that would allow the use of Aux3 and Aux4. This design insures Hi and Lo beams are never energized at the same time and Aux3 or Aux4 switch can be turn on independently or together. With the original circuit using a single relay, Aux3 must be activated in combination with Aux4 to activate Hi beams on the LP6. My DIY makes Aux4 take priority for Hi beams.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...plete-circuit-with-aux3-and-aux4-amber.65919/

RT

Last edited:

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
@BajaDesigns I have a JL with SPOD and the upfitter lockout harness. I haven’t wired it up yet but I have a question.

Can I wire the DRL amber portion of the light to run with the stock turn signals?

So they would be running lights, hazard lights and turn signals in the front in addition to the high and low beams of course.

Is this possible by just tapping into the wire which powers the turn signal in the fender flare??? I would like to run the fender flare light and the DRL amber backlight both off the same wire if possible.

Thanks for your help!
Did you end up wiring the LP6s to your turn signals and DRLs simultaneously? Can you share how?

Thanks,
John

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Did you end up wiring the LP6s to your turn signals and DRLs simultaneously? Can you share how?

Thanks,
John
No I didn’t. Factory has a DRL dropout option so if you used a diode on both sides and just wired it to the both the DRL and Blinker circuits it would PROBABLY drop the DRL and blink when you wanted it to.

Ran out of time to tinker with it. Became too small of a fish to fry after I already had it hooked up to just turn signals...

Sponsored