Jeep newbie, wondering Rubi vs HA

Sreilly2

First Name
Reilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Hi all, thanks for helping me out. I’m looking at buying my first ever Jeep, and I’m torn between the Rubicon and High Altitude. I want the Rubicon mostly for the coolness factor, but would get it fully loaded. But, a fully loaded HA is a bit cheaper.

I plan on going off-roading, but nothing at all extreme. Just some of the easier trails in Moab. The HA could handle the less technical trails just fine, right? Probably 99% of my driving would be around town to work and such. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.
Sponsored

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Not sure I would spend a lot of extra money for a Rubicon if I wasn't doing much off roading. All of the jeeps are capable and it seems too many by the rubicon and never take it wheeling which seems like a waste and a shame.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Most will tell you the HA will fit your needs and the Rubicon is overkill.....and I agree with them. Here's my reasoning for suggesting the Rubicon for you:

Your profile says you live in Nevada. If that's true, then you know the vast majority of Nevada is public land with thousands of miles of trails. Those trails vary in difficulty from easy to pretty hard core. One of the best reasons for living in Nevada is the freedom to go hit a trail whenever we want. Having a Rubicon will give you a platform to grow with, as it already has lockers, better gearing, etc. etc.

Quite a few new Jeep owners say they won't go off road much, but once they do and realize how much fun and adventure it is, they want to go more and to harder trails. Then they realize they are going to have to spend more money to have lockers, new gears, etc. installed. I say buy the Rubicon and get those parts from the factory and those parts are covered with a factory warranty.
As your skills and experience increase, you'll have a Jeep which allows you to experience more of the outdoors. Instead of paying for parts which are included on the Rubicon, you can then buy a winch, lift, bigger tires, etc. to match your growing passion for off-roading.

But if you really believe you're not going off pavement very much, then the HA would be better suited for you.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Let me add more:

With a Rubicon, you can immediately add 35" tires, skid plates, and a winch and be able to tackle almost any trail, including the Rubicon and most Moab trails. You'd be spending a lot more to get a HA to that level of capability.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
A Rubicon is much more than bling and stickers, it really is a nuts and bolts real upgrade, it has equipment that is difficult and expensive to duplicate. It also holds value. Living in Nevada you are in wheeling heaven. Get the Rubicon, you’ll thank yourself.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’d get the Rubicon living in that area.

You’ll start light and then become addicted and in that area you’ll eventually want/need the Rubicon.

Short and sweet.

I have a Sport btw but I live in FL where there is nothing really to do in the Jeep rock crawling Dept lol

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
If the coolness factor is important to you, 3 years from now the HA will just be another one of the run of the mill “special editions”, whereas the Rubicon will always be the alpha Jeep. We are on our seventh Jeep, first Rubicon, and the Rubi is by far our favorite even though we are life long mall crawlers. We love the looks of it, and we like the approving looks we get from Jeep owners and non owners alike.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I've owned Sports and Rubicons. These days, I buy a Rubicon when it's time to get a new jeep. I like the idea of having a few more tools in the toolbox for exploring. A good case in point are some of the crazy washouts and mudslide areas we've discovered as we explore the backcountry. Hitting the disconnects and popping the lockers on has allowed me to easily, and with minimal trail damage, slow crawl over things my friends with open diffs have had to use skinny pedal to get up. Yea, they made it, but I don't like spinning and sliding all over the place, deepening ruts, etc.

OP
OP

Sreilly2

First Name
Reilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I’m actually planning on moving to Utah soon for work, which seems like even more opportunities for off-roading. So, you’ve convinced me, I’ll go with the Rubicon. Hopefully a 4xe. Thanks for all the advice!

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Another benefit of the Rubicon is the 4.10 gears if you plan on increasing tire size.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
To echo what others have already said, the Rubicon is a better choice. It has everything you need it for and everything you don’t need it for. Get it.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
A Rubicon is much more than bling and stickers, it really is a nuts and bolts real upgrade, it has equipment that is difficult and expensive to duplicate. It also holds value. Living in Nevada you are in wheeling heaven. Get the Rubicon, you’ll thank yourself.
listen to the man. u live in nevada

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
To echo what others have already said, the Rubicon is a better choice. It has everything you need it for and everything you don’t need it for. Get it.
Absolutely! I had a 14 Altitude and traded for a 20 Rubi. Even living in Fla where there is limited area to go off road where I live, and all of that is just sugar sand, we travel in the summer in our RV and tow the Jeep out to Idaho/Oregon/Dakota's. You can't replicate the options on a Rubi cheaply on another model.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Rubicon all the way.
Sponsored