Sponsored

What to do with new stock tires when upgrading?

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
My dealership said they'd be happy to quote me a price on switching out my stock tires when picking up my build for 35"' tires and mount/alignment as well as recalibrate to accommodate the new larger tires, but unfortunately they cannot buy back the stock 33's on the Rubicon. For the guys who upgraded right away, what did you do with your stock tires? I have no use, or space, to keep 5 tires and it sounds like the dealer can't do much to help me.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They are easy to sell on Craigslist. Make sure you describe them as "new takeoffs". I just got $1,200 for my Rubicon wheels/tires. The basic 17" Sport wheels/tires usually bring $500.

Alternatively, advertise them on the member sales section of this forum.

Make sure you order your Jeep with the base wheels. The optional ones will be worth much less than Jeep charges you.

OP
OP

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
They are easy to sell on Craigslist. Make sure you describe them as "new takeoffs". I just got $1,200 for my Rubicon wheels/tires. The basic 17" Sport wheels/tires usually bring $500.

Alternatively, advertise them on the member sales section of this forum.

Make sure you order your Jeep with the base wheels. The optional ones will be worth much less than Jeep charges you.
I'm keeping the wheels, just selling the tires. The dealership is going to quote me on 35's and mount/balance/recalibrate.

That's good to know that you can get $1200 for the stock 33's.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm keeping the wheels, just selling the tires. The dealership is going to quote me on 35's and mount/balance/recalibrate.

That's good to know that you can get $1200 for the stock 33's.
Just to be clear, the $1,200 included wheels. Good luck with your sale.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Was able to use the stock Michelins on my 4Runner :)

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I fortunately have the space to keep the five Michelin 245/75R17 with the original Sport wheels. Unfortunately I had put 10K miles on them before deciding on a lift with 35x12.5x17s.

While I much prefer the 35s and will likely never go back, I'm pretty certain that I'd have a lot of trouble selling a well used set of 31.5" tires on the stock Sport wheels. They're more valuable (to me) than dumping them for a low-ball price.

So I now have an ultra-emergency backup set. Great tires, however I'll admit they look more than misplaced on a lifted rig. Yes sir, I'm likely stuck with them.

Care to make me an offer?
Care to watch me roll my eyes?

Jay

IMG_20200320_175217_1.jpg

IMG_20200605_180738.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I fortunately have the space to keep the five Michelin 245/75R17 with the original Sport wheels. Unfortunately I had put 10K miles on them before deciding on a lift with 35x12.5x17s.

While I much prefer the 35s and will likely never go back, I'm pretty certain that I'd have a lot of trouble selling a well used set of 31.5" tires on the stock Sport wheels. They're more valuable (to me) than dumping them for a low-ball price.

So I now have an ultra-emergency backup set. Great tires, however I'll admit they look more than misplaced on a lifted rig. Yes sir, I'm likely stuck with them.

Care to make me an offer?
Care to watch me roll my eyes?

Jay
We swapped the soccer-mom Michelins a few times for long trips where mpg (and keeping miles off our Patagonias) was a priority. Now the priority is keeping my back intact as long as possible so no more swapping, but like I posted above the Michelins will fit our 4Runner when it's current tires are done. And yeah, the Michelins are a nice tire for low noise, high mpg, & all-season (not all-terrain) running, and should last 50k. I know one thing, they look like someone stole your real Jeep tires and swapped Dodge Caravan tires while you were gone :)

And when I do get those tires off for the 4Runner I can then get my original TPMS sensors mounted in my current wheels. Got some cheapy ebay TPMS sensors and they aren't being read :(

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My dealership said they'd be happy to quote me a price on switching out my stock tires when picking up my build for 35"' tires and mount/alignment as well as recalibrate to accommodate the new larger tires
Would you mind sharing what the dealer quoted, as well as the specific model 35s? Thx.

OP
OP

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
Would you mind sharing what the dealer quoted, as well as the specific model 35s? Thx.
Still awaiting quote - will let you know when they get back to me, all I know right is they said they could do it. I asked them for Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50r17
Sponsored