Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
Sponsored

The_Armed_Gardener

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Willys 2021 2D, Subaru, Ford Ranger, Aluminum Jet Pump Sled
Occupation
Transit Authority Paratransit Operator
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I plan on adding things though. Lots of things, lol. To me it will be like buying an AR lower reciver.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Just me?!

Yes, the simpler the better.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Some people still do. I don’t count myself as one of those people. I really dig comfort and convenience. To each their own.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I'm with you!

My '21 Willys is ordered the same way. Stick shift, crank windows, manual door locks, soft top, and no A/C. I even added the half doors to get rid of the windows completely.... :rock:

You fancy with your AC!

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
I'm with you!

My '21 Willys is ordered the same way. Stick shift, crank windows, manual door locks, soft top, and no A/C. I even added the half doors to get rid of the windows completely.... :rock:

You fancy with your AC!
Base model for me BUT no way I can go without AC. On the bright side, we will never have to take it in the shop for malfunctioning electric windows/door locks/rear defroster!!

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I could see doing that . 2dr no options. Like my old CJ. In fact a great condition CJ might cost more than a used Bare bones 18 or 19 . Air conditioning... I have to think about that. Maybe not. Top off all summer and heat in winter. I am spoiled so this would have to be a 2nd car for me. Buy yea.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I'm a reluctant convert to modernity.

I've had many Jeeps - 1XJ, 3 TJs (2 sports, 1 rubi), 1 TJ Unlimited Rubicon(LJ) and, and my current JL.
Aside from the warranty work (haven't had any yet) on the JL - I do my own wrenching as in a previous career I was a flat rate tech. There was a period of years where anything but the tried and true 4.0 inline 6 was sacrilege and anything newer than the TJ bodystyle was too new fangled and fancy.

I changed...as men should be willing to do on occasion (ask my wife.)

I can sum up my feelings thus: I called a buddy and said hey let's go camping, I bought a new Jeep. When I mentioned it was a 2020 JL, his jaw dropped. Flat out couldn't believe it, as if Marx himself had just advocated free market capitalism. My response was simple: I want to do more enjoying of our backcountry trips and less "messing with the Jeep."

My TJs were great, but if I'm honest there was always something wrong with them, and they were perfectly maintained with professional skill. I was always fixing this or that - often out on the trail. I carried an extra fuel pump because so many of them had issues. My JL, knock on wood, zero issues. I never said the newer stuff was perfect...nothing is...but man, it's really really nice to be out there *not* fixing something at every other campsite.

I like the "idea" of the bare bones Jeeps of yore. I like my JL in practice a whole lot more. While I don't have heated seats or steering wheel, or other options....it absolutely tickles me to walk up to the jeep, touch the handle, and hear the doors unlock.

Change is good. =)

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
I loved my 1978 CJ 7 with it's 232 I6, 3 speed vinyl top & doors so much that I refuse to tarnish the memory. Because of my much loved CJ and 20 years driving 13&18 speed trucks I purchased a Sahara with 8 speed auto. Thanks very much but I LOVE my JL It's like dream compared to some of the stuff I've driven.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
I abhor most of today’s tech in cars. When it fails it’s either really annoying or expensive to fix. Here’s a short list of useless tech that I think only serves to increase profit margins: TPMS, keys with chips in them and touchscreens. And I hate fixing power windows so they’re a no for me, sane with power locks. I love the tech that goes into making a vehicle drive better and safer but the so called convenience stuff.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I have always been into barebones Jeeps and my current JK is a Willys "K" model - similar to the JL Willys sport. So, it has roll down windows, manual locks. Also, manual trans. However, I have been gradually getting to like more of the creature comforts. I also, am getting sick of unlocking the back doors for the kids to get in. Over time, I went from 2 door no-option soft top jeeps, to 4 door(when I had kids) and then to hardtop 4 door.
Now with my JL - I ordered a 4 door Rubicon with hard top. Still will have manual trans, but now it will have power locks/windows/mirrors. I even added cold weather group with heated seats/steering wheel.
Having said that, as I wait for my order to build, at least once a week I think that I should have just gotten a base sport or Willys Sport, maybe even a 2 door... Would save money and get the real Jeep experience.
Sponsored