Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
So finally received my racks and like others I've talked to, they were missing the hardware for the 24" racks - all bolts, nuts, plastic covers, etc...so I've had to wait going on 3 weeks now as they said they are out of stock! C'mon Dee Zee, please get your act together as several of us are missing these upon initial receipt. VERY Frustrating as I had to take advantage of Black Friday deals so had to do a partial install...other than that, for the racks I could mount (rear), racks appear to hold a CVT Mt Hood 60" RTT - drove this home from Vegas this past weekend. But as you can see from the pics, RTT is not centered front to back! Plus before my wife and I get in the tent, I would prefer having at least 3 bars across to distribute as much to those little feet. So I can vouch it will hold the tent but I can't vouch for actual usage yet as I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY HARDWARE PACKAGE!
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 20201121_152830
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
So finally received my racks and like others I've talked to, they were missing the hardware for the 24" racks - all bolts, nuts, plastic covers, etc...so I've had to wait going on 3 weeks now as they said they are out of stock! C'mon Dee Zee, please get your act together as several of us are missing these upon initial receipt. VERY Frustrating as I had to take advantage of Black Friday deals so had to do a partial install...other than that, for the racks I could mount (rear), racks appear to hold a CVT Mt Hood 60" RTT - drove this home from Vegas this past weekend. But as you can see from the pics, RTT is not centered front to back! Plus before my wife and I get in the tent, I would prefer having at least 3 bars across to distribute as much to those little feet. So I can vouch it will hold the tent but I can't vouch for actual usage yet as I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY HARDWARE PACKAGE!
Did you order directly from Dee Zee? I ordered from Amazon and initially thought I was missing hardware as well. Turns out it was hidden in a box inside the shipping box. I donā€™t know if they ship differently. I doubt you wouldā€™ve missed it given it would be pretty weighty.

Sucks. Hopefully they can get you some quickly.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you order directly from Dee Zee? I ordered from Amazon and initially thought I was missing hardware as well. Turns out it was hidden in a box inside the shipping box. I donā€™t know if they ship differently. I doubt you wouldā€™ve missed it given it would be pretty weighty.

Sucks. Hopefully they can get you some quickly.
Ordered from a Distributor but shipped from Dee Zee directly...yeah, tore up box looking for it and nada!

Did you install your racks yet? How you liking it so far?

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
I only have 2 rails on my 150 lb RTT and have used it for 15 camping nights with 2 adults. No issues whatsoever. Not sure you need 3 rails, but I guess that help spread it more evenly. Happy with mine.

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
Sorry to hear about the missing hardware. Funny thing about that, I ordered both the 60ā€ and 24ā€ racks like you. When I was unpacking it all and accounting for everything, I had twice as much nuts, bolts, and washers as the instructions required. Seems like Dee Zee isnā€™t doing a good job of packing the appropriate hardware in the boxes.

I agree with Bulldown; the rack is rated to carry the load of the tent and the tent only requires 2 rails within a specific range of distances from one another. Iā€™d recommend sticking with the 2 rails and center the tent how you like it. A third rail may actually complicate things if the center one is higher than the other two. However, itā€™s your rig and if you go overboard with securing it, you canā€™t go wrong!

I see you mounted a CVT Mt. Hood and that itā€™s the 60ā€ version. I JUST ordered one today (couldnā€™t pass up the 25% off Black Friday deal they are having) and will drive out to pick it up next week. How difficult was the install? Did the mounting hardware that came with the tent do the trick or did you need additional hardware?

Enjoy the rig!

Sponsored

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about the missing hardware. Funny thing about that, I ordered both the 60ā€ and 24ā€ racks like you. When I was unpacking it all and accounting for everything, I had twice as much nuts, bolts, and washers as the instructions required. Seems like Dee Zee isnā€™t doing a good job of packing the appropriate hardware in the boxes.

I agree with Bulldown; the rack is rated to carry the load of the tent and the tent only requires 2 rails within a specific range of distances from one another. Iā€™d recommend sticking with the 2 rails and center the tent how you like it. A third rail may actually complicate things if the center one is higher than the other two. However, itā€™s your rig and if you go overboard with securing it, you canā€™t go wrong!

I see you mounted a CVT Mt. Hood and that itā€™s the 60ā€ version. I JUST ordered one today (couldnā€™t pass up the 25% off Black Friday deal they are having) and will drive out to pick it up next week. How difficult was the install? Did the mounting hardware that came with the tent do the trick or did you need additional hardware?

Enjoy the rig!
Had them install for $150, saved $250 on shipping. Big reason is the time...they gave me an option of self install in their warehouse but with just me and the wife, would've taken 4+hours and with their forklift, they were done in 1.5 hours.

Mounting hardware fits fine on Dee Zee racks...no need for anything special. Not much space under tent so bring an extra 13mm ratcheting wrench to speed things up. Obviously, if you have a trailer, then you are good to go...going out as soon as I get my hardware kit...apparently you have mine šŸ˜

Post some pics when you are all set up!!

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only have 2 rails on my 150 lb RTT and have used it for 15 camping nights with 2 adults. No issues whatsoever. Not sure you need 3 rails, but I guess that help spread it more evenly. Happy with mine.
Thanks Bulldown...what's the total weight for 2 adults you been loading the racks with?

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350lbs people plus 10 lbs of gear.
Cool...we are about the same. So you are totally comfortable up there on those racks with just 2 bars supporting the tent? Soft top or Hardshell? I guess if you feel good about it, I may give it a try!

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
Cool...we are about the same. So you are totally comfortable up there on those racks with just 2 bars supporting the tent? Soft top or Hardshell? I guess if you feel good about it, I may give it a try!
I have a FSR 63ā€ high country premium. We slept in it with 30mph winds and no issues. I feel itā€™s perfectly supportive for 2 adults. 3 adults might be too much but I am pretty sure the roof could handle it. Itā€™s was surprisingly stable.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Ordered from a Distributor but shipped from Dee Zee directly...yeah, tore up box looking for it and nada!

Did you install your racks yet? How you liking it so far?
I put them together but I havenā€™t installed them yet since Iā€™m taking a few days off this week for vacation. I canā€™t wait to throw it up there though. Weā€™re going camping in a few weeks and Iā€™ll really be able to see what itā€™s made of then. From what Iā€™ve seen so far, Iā€™m pretty pleased.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put them together but I havenā€™t installed them yet since Iā€™m taking a few days off this week for vacation. I canā€™t wait to throw it up there though. Weā€™re going camping in a few weeks and Iā€™ll really be able to see what itā€™s made of then. From what Iā€™ve seen so far, Iā€™m pretty pleased.
Enjoy and happy trails!

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
Has anyone installed the Dee Zee rack on a 2 door or on a 4 door with the one touch top?

I own both of these jeeps and Iā€™m thinking I could make the rack work on both.

Iā€˜m fully aware on the one touch the top will have to remain closed due to limited clearance.

I plan on putting the Roofnest Condor or Condor XL on the rack and it would be great if one style rack could be used on both Jeepā€™s for this.

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
So far, so good with the DeeZee and my Smittybilt RTT. Second camping trip (first multiday with it) coming up soon. Seems super secure, no problems with my wife and I sleeping up there. Has anyone done some wheeling with a RTT on their DeeZee yet?

20201128-143212.jpg

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So far, so good with the DeeZee and my Smittybilt RTT. Second camping trip (first multiday with it) coming up soon. Seems super secure, no problems with my wife and I sleeping up there. Has anyone done some wheeling with a RTT on their DeeZee yet?

20201128-143212.jpg
149AABE9-9580-4500-BF7A-C92BB09D1F13.jpeg
Sponsored