Sponsored

JL Dana 30 & Dana 35 - how strong are they?

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
I saw someone on here with a eaton trutrac in the front dana 30.

arb uses the same front diff Locker for the JK as the JL- RD100

so assuming the eaton trutrac would fit as well. Id like to throw in a limited also
Im planning on 4.56, 33s and a small 2" lift, with LSD front and rear would be deadly in a light little rig
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Im planning on 4.56, 33s and a small 2" lift, with LSD front and rear would be deadly in a light little rig
yes sir, my jeep is 4320lbs.
nice and light. Its on 35s and 4.56 gears

2” mopar springs and a Frankenstein lift
Although the rear lsd is worn out already.
Next will be a rear locker and maybe a front limited slip like you said but not sure i want to invest too much into the dana30

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase

Next will be a rear locker and maybe a front limited slip like you said but not sure i want to invest too much into the dana30
So I found out that the front Dana 30 is the same as the JK Dana 30 as far as the gears go so you can put a truetrac in the front and the only reason that I'm going to build my Dana 30 is because I'm staying light I'm not going to go with 35 I'm not going to go super heavy rock crawling and my little lift will be Frankenstein as well KINGS 2.5 with piggy back reservoir shocks are on the wish list as well as the Evo Overlander enforcer kit
With a two-door sport like mine I'll get at least three inches of lift

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited

How did you know when you’re lsd quit? I have 80 Kms on mine, I put the jack under the pumpkin and the wheels spun opposite but when I spun on the grass it appears to lock?

Last edited:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
How did you know when you’re lsd quit? I have 80 Kms on mine, I put the jack under the pumpkin and the wheels spun opposite but when I spun on the grass it appears to lock?
if they spin opposite that is good.
When i spin driver side the passenger side doesnt move, when i spin the passenger side, the driver moves a little bit in the opposite.

rear locker is next on my list anyway

Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if they spin opposite that is good.
When i spin driver side the passenger side doesnt move, when i spin the passenger side, the driver moves a little bit in the opposite.

rear locker is next on my list anyway
Thanks. Which locker did you decide? Are you going ahead with the lsd in the front? I’m in Ontario and I‘m interested to know how the lsd in the front handles in the snow.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Which locker did you decide? Are you going ahead with the lsd in the front? I’m in Ontario and I‘m interested to know how the lsd in the front handles in the snow.
arb is the only option at this point for rear so.
No, probably wont invest money into the dana30. Better to put into a 44 so I can move to 37s

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed a Teraflex 2.5” lift and Rubi take off 33‘s and don’t plan on going bigger. I’m considering Truetracs on d30 d44 once the mopar lsd dies. Then Rubi d44 take offs once the USA border reopens or we get some inventory in Canada. I have no interest in the costs with regearing.

I suspect the d30 d44 with TT are fine for what wheeling I do, trails, some mud, downed trees and zero rock crawling.

Last edited:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Teraflex 2.5” lift and Rubi take off 33‘s and don’t plan on going bigger. I’m considering Truetracs on d30 d44 once the mopar lsd dies. Then Rubi d44 take offs once the USA border reopens or we get some inventory in Canada. I have no interest in the costs with regearing.

I suspect the d30 d44 with TT are fine for what wheeling I do, trails, some mud, downed trees and zero rock crawling.
buy once, cry once. Dont invest into the stock axles if your plan is rubi take offs. Just do them and they come with gearing to run 35s

forsure, ive abused the 30/44 on 35s for two years without issue.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So I found out that the front Dana 30 is the same as the JK Dana 30 as far as the gears go so you can put a truetrac in the front and the only reason that I'm going to build my Dana 30 is because I'm staying light I'm not going to go with 35 I'm not going to go super heavy rock crawling and my little lift will be Frankenstein as well KINGS 2.5 with piggy back reservoir shocks are on the wish list as well as the Evo Overlander enforcer kit
With a two-door sport like mine I'll get at least three inches of lift
I thought the gears were different sizes, the m186 being a smidge larger than the jk dana 30

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the gears were different sizes, the m186 being a smidge larger than the jk dana 30
I believe this is true, but the carrier will still works.

ie: the arb rd100 air locker is used for jk dana 30 and also works for the JL dana30 or m186

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I believe this is true, but the carrier will still works.

ie: the arb rd100 air locker is used for jk dana 30 and also works for the JL dana30 or m186
Ah that’s interesting, didnt know the carriers work with the newer m186s.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I opted for the new rear Ox locker for the M200. They also charge the same price for the differential to move up from 29 spline to 32 spline. You only need axles for a standard width M220 (non-Rubicon).

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I opted for the new rear Ox locker for the M200. They also charge the same price for the differential to move up from 29 spline to 32 spline. You only need axles for a standard width M220 (non-Rubicon).
Electric or cable actuated?
Sponsored