David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Element fire extinguishers is running a 15% off sale.

15% OFF
FREE SHIPPING* & FREE EXTRA MOUNTING CLIP**

Use code: EFHS20 at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.
Thanks for this. I just ordered a pair of 50's.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Somebody posted here the overland deals and that included a place selling Baja Designs products at 10% off.

I want a set of Baja Designs LP4 or LP6 lights. Anybody come across them cheaper than 10% off retail during their BF/CM deals research?
DAC91467-2FE0-4164-B562-6AC1A878639C.jpeg

morreale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR / Shelby GT500
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Element fire extinguishers is running a 15% off sale.

15% OFF
FREE SHIPPING* & FREE EXTRA MOUNTING CLIP**

Use code: EFHS20 at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.
hmm how do you get the free shipping and the mounting clip. it is charging me 9.99 for shipping

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Does anyone know if American Adventure Lab ever runs a sale? I don't ever recall seeing one but I've been waiting for Black Friday deals. I really want to get their front inner fender liners.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
hmm how do you get the free shipping and the mounting clip. it is charging me 9.99 for shipping
Sorry about that there is a free shipping requirement. Received the advert in my e-mail didn't see the fine print when I posted it...

*Free Shipping applies to orders over $99
**One (1) extra mounting clip for every Element E50 or E100 purchased

Expires midnight Tuesday, December 1st, 2020.
Coupon entered at checkout.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Does anyone know if American Adventure Lab ever runs a sale? I don't ever recall seeing one but I've been waiting for Black Friday deals. I really want to get their front inner fender liners.
I was just on the phone with them today about an unrelated matter, but asked about the potential for sales this week at the end of my conversation. I was told they rarely put anything on sale. They keep the margins low year round rather than over-inflating their prices just so that they can periodically mark them down. So... don't hold your breath.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I am looking for a winch now as well. Is there much difference between Warn and Smittybilt? I feel like when I price specs, Smitty is right there but cheaper. I have zero experience with long-term ownership/use though. First Jeep......excuse my ignorance.
This is like asking if there’s much difference between “Sears” tools and the Chinese tools sold at Harbor Freight. The answer is no.. They are both unreliable crap and prone to failure.

I knew Craftsman tools because my dad used them when I was a kid. He told me about the lifetime warranty, and I was with him once or twice when he took advantage of the warranty to get a broken ratchet or other tool replaced. I still have some of those old Craftsman tools in my box, but early on in my own tool-buying career I discovered that tools stamped with “Sears” were very different from those stamped “Craftsman”. The former were poorly made Chinese clones and not supported by the same replacement policy.

I still believe that Sears’ choice to start branding crappy tools with their good name was a terrible mistake that contributed to their eventual demise. Sears came up with the first satisfaction guaranteed warranty near the turn of the last century, and it made their growth into the largest retail company in the world possible. Throwing that away was a bad plan for short term gain. I feel the same way about Warn’s decision to put their name on cheap Chinese products. Warn doesn’t advertise the distinction, so most folks think they are buying the real thing, and they’re very disappointed when the tool fails and they discover they have crap.

I have talked to Warn employees (it’s a small Oregon company) and a gentleman who has been running a Warn parts and repair facility in Northern California for decades. They all candidly admit the Chinese products have little to nothing in common with the Warn tradition of quality and commercial durability. The Chinese winches are less waterproof, MUCH less durable, and less sensibly rebuildable. The expectation is that most people who buy them will use them very little, if at all. If the Chinese winches are used and fail within the warranty period the repair is just a cost of doing business, but the many more that just ride around on front bumpers unused will ensure continued profitability. This philosophy has resulted in the proliferation of many weak and unreliable winches under a variety of different brands — names that didn’t even exist thirty years ago. Most will work fine for a while. Some folks report using their Chinese winches two or three times per summer for two or three years. Maybe that’s enough to earn a good rating from some, but not me. I need to know my winch will work through a series of ten or twelve pulls 14 months after being submerged in a stream-crossing — or whatever. That’s always been my experience with real Warn products.

Unfortunately, predictably, we’re now hearing people give Warn winches bad reviews, because their Chinese Warns failed when they needed them, and the reviewers don’t know to report the failure as a Chinese failure. The same thing happened to Danner boots, another small Oregon company that used to manufacture nothing but best-quality products they could stand behind and rebuild for decades. Danner now sells their traditional boots, sneaking up on $400, and their crappy cheap Chinese boots side by side. The labels are the same, and Danner’s reputation is fading as a result — because most people buying the Chinese crap think they are getting the products that earned the legendary reputation.

I have a thirty year old pair of Danner hunting boots that have been resoled twice, and I’ve had four real Warn winches over the last 43 years without a single failure. The only reason I’ve swapped for new winches is because I wanted a bigger unit or more features (or the old wouldn’t fit the new bumper/application). If you want a winch you can count on when you really need it, save up to buy the real thing, not a Chinese tool wrapped in Warn plastic.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I used to use Warn but several years ago I thought why not give Smittybilt a try and am not at all sorry. I had my last one for 10 years without a failure. My current set up is LOD mid width signature series front bumper with 12K Gen 3 Smittybilt with synthetic rope on 2020 JLUR with Factor 55 Fairlead. Great setup for me.

Don't know if any of these are on sale for Black Friday and Cyber Monday but I would not hesitate to pay full price again for each of these items if needed.

MeddlingFloyd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU. Sting Grey.
This is like asking if there’s much difference between “Sears” tools and the Chinese tools sold at Harbor Freight. The answer is no.. They are both unreliable crap and prone to failure.

I knew Craftsman tools because my dad used them when I was a kid. He told me about the lifetime warranty, and I was with him once or twice when he took advantage of the warranty to get a broken ratchet or other tool replaced. I still have some of those old Craftsman tools in my box, but early on in my own tool-buying career I discovered that tools stamped with “Sears” were very different from those stamped “Craftsman”. The former were poorly made Chinese clones and not supported by the same replacement policy.

I still believe that Sears’ choice to start branding crappy tools with their good name was a terrible mistake that contributed to their eventual demise. Sears came up with the first satisfaction guaranteed warranty near the turn of the last century, and it made their growth into the largest retail company in the world possible. Throwing that away was a bad plan for short term gain. I feel the same way about Warn’s decision to put their name on cheap Chinese products. Warn doesn’t advertise the distinction, so most folks think they are buying the real thing, and they’re very disappointed when the tool fails and they discover they have crap.

I have talked to Warn employees (it’s a small Oregon company) and a gentleman who has been running a Warn parts and repair facility in Northern California for decades. They all candidly admit the Chinese products have little to nothing in common with the Warn tradition of quality and commercial durability. The Chinese winches are less waterproof, MUCH less durable, and less sensibly rebuildable. The expectation is that most people who buy them will use them very little, if at all. If the Chinese winches are used and fail within the warranty period the repair is just a cost of doing business, but the many more that just ride around on front bumpers unused will ensure continued profitability. This philosophy has resulted in the proliferation of many weak and unreliable winches under a variety of different brands — names that didn’t even exist thirty years ago. Most will work fine for a while. Some folks report using their Chinese winches two or three times per summer for two or three years. Maybe that’s enough to earn a good rating from some, but not me. I need to know my winch will work through a series of ten or twelve pulls 14 months after being submerged in a stream-crossing — or whatever. That’s always been my experience with real Warn products.

Unfortunately, predictably, we’re now hearing people give Warn winches bad reviews, because their Chinese Warns failed when they needed them, and the reviewers don’t know to report the failure as a Chinese failure. The same thing happened to Danner boots, another small Oregon company that used to manufacture nothing but best-quality products they could stand behind and rebuild for decades. Danner now sells their traditional boots, sneaking up on $400, and their crappy cheap Chinese boots side by side. The labels are the same, and Danner’s reputation is fading as a result — because most people buying the Chinese crap think they are getting the products that earned the legendary reputation.

I have a thirty year old pair of Danner hunting boots that have been resoled twice, and I’ve had four real Warn winches over the last 43 years without a single failure. The only reason I’ve swapped for new winches is because I wanted a bigger unit or more features (or the old wouldn’t fit the new bumper/application). If you want a winch you can count on when you really need it, save up to buy the real thing, not a Chinese tool wrapped in Warn plastic.
So which Warn series are you saying to avoid and which to buy?

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent idea! :clap:

I will be looking for a good deal on the Tazer mini + front camera , ARB compressor and some aux switches like pro-switch to hook up extra lights....
Check out the wireless options, I got the Trigger Plus system with six switches, absolutely love it. I can control the lights from my phone and turn them into strobes too.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I used to use Warn but several years ago I thought why not give Smittybilt a try and am not at all sorry. I had my last one for 10 years without a failure. My current set up is LOD mid width signature series front bumper with 12K Gen 3 Smittybilt with synthetic rope on 2020 JLUR with Factor 55 Fairlead. Great setup for me.

Don't know if any of these are on sale for Black Friday and Cyber Monday but I would not hesitate to pay full price again for each of these items if needed.
Another Smittybuilt fan here. Got mine in 18 on a Black Friday deal that was killer and at the time could buy two for the price of one Warn. I figured I’d go for it as I am on the lighter use side. It was been great so far, pulled plenty out of bad situations and still going. No complaints here. X20, synthetic rope, factor 55 fair lead and hook.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Another Smittybuilt fan here. Got mine in 18 on a Black Friday deal that was killer and at the time could buy two for the price of one Warn. I figured I’d go for it as I am on the lighter use side. It was been great so far, pulled plenty out of bad situations and still going. No complaints here. X20, synthetic rope, factor 55 fair lead and hook.
I had to laugh at your Peoples Republik of Kalifonia, I am formally from the Peoples Republik of Assamutchetts :CWL::CWL::CWL:

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
For the people who bought Smittybilt winch‘s on Black Friday in the past, who did you buy from?

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Check out the wireless options, I got the Trigger Plus system with six switches, absolutely love it. I can control the lights from my phone and turn them into strobes too.
Probably a good place to say S-Tech and Proclip are having discounts. S-Tech to me is the best system and at a great price and real customer service.
Sponsored