hybrid system not working. loss of power to system

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Which wire connects to that post? You should be getting 48 on the blue wire no matter what, or your 48V battery is dead as a rock.
Sponsored

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Which wire connects to that post? You should be getting 48 on the blue wire no matter what, or your 48V battery is dead as a rock.
will check it out today - at work right now.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A long shot, but any harness damage from being totaled ? Check underneath, the 48v Battery cradle, wiring, fluid circulation
Also, the IBS ( Intelligent Battery Sensor ) could be bad.

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Checked the voltage at the post on the MGU - it leads to the hybrid battery and it is blue. Only producing around 8.9V with the jeep started idle. There is also red wire from the hybrid battery which leads to the 12V battery.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hello folks,
Need help troubleshooting hybrid system on the 2.0 etorque system. Jeep is out of warranty.
The hybrid system is not working at all. Error code that I am getting is Lost communication with the power hybrid module. I thought it was the MGU (alternator) first which includes the hybrid power module so with help of a mechanic friend (who is not familiar with this system) i quickly replaced it but that was not the problem; unless i have to reset something.
Not sure what exactly is happening here but one thing i am noticing is that the 12volt battery is not being charged. I did measure the volts at the MGU (alternator) and with the engine started it was showing 4V (at the red connection on it); i am thinking this should be much higher. I did take the jeep for a test drive and it stalled on me in the shopping center parking allot and would not start even with jumper cables (kept saying the shift the gear in "P" even after disconnecting the battery). So i took the 12 battery home and charged it and put in back in the jeep and it started right up. Really weird?
Why is the 12V battery not being charged with the new MGU? Could it be the 48V battery pack, 12V battery, fuses etc... ?
Any ideas what to look for?
Mac
What's the actual code? Which module is reporting the error code? The first letter usually signifies the module. Like a P0137 is from the PCM. A "U" code is usually a body code, etc... Check the etorque battery, not sure how, but make sure it's not dead. Check the wring going to and from the MGU is possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
The code is U0293 (Lost communication with the hybrid control module). Fuses, wire harness, CAN wires look ok. 12v is also being supplied. I tested the old MGU and same error code - could it be the PCM or should should i have some reponse from the hybrid control module regardless of PCM.

Last edited:
OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Can someone check how much volts does the MGU (generator) is producing. Is it suppose to be 48V?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Can someone check how much volts does the MGU (generator) is producing. Is it suppose to be 48V?
This is a guess but in theory it should be producing 48v (or a couple of volts more) to charge the lithium battery and also to feed the converter that brings the voltage down to 12v (14.4v) to charge the lead acid battery.

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
This is a guess but in theory it should be producing 48v (or a couple of volts more) to charge the lithium battery and also to feed the converter that brings the voltage down to 12v (14.4v) to charge the lead acid battery.
Any chance if someone can check how much there MGU (generator) is producing - that will be great; so i can narrow down the fault. Mine 12V battery is not getting charged and it is not the 48v battery, which i just replaced.
Also, isn't the converter in the 48v battery that leads to the 12V battery for charging or it is seperate?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any chance if someone can check how much there MGU (generator) is producing - that will be great; so i can narrow down the fault. Mine 12V battery is not getting charged and it is not the 48v battery, which i just replaced.
Also, isn't the converter in the 48v battery that leads to the 12V battery for charging or it is seperate?
I have no knowledge of the new etorque system so I wouldn’t know how to check its’ voltage. But yes the battery and converter is in the same package as one piece. So if you replaced your entire lithium battery pack, you also replaced the DC to DC converter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
it is the post on the mgu that has a black cap on it.
This is the wire that goes to 48v.

38ryan3

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any luck resolving this? I’m having the same issue and this is the only thread I see talking about it, thanks

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Any luck resolving this? I’m having the same issue and this is the only thread I see talking about it, thanks
Was your vehicle also a salvaged vehicle wreck?