Sponsored

Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This may be the best thread I've seen on this forum since I joined. Awesome stuff. And makes me super jealous of you people out west in CO and AZ. Absolutely spectacular. Thanks for all the awesome pictures.
Don’t be jealous! Toss a duffle in the backseat, toss the wife in the front seat and drive on out here for a week this summer!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Southern California

There is a really nice trail down socal ways called the Carrizo Mountain jeep trail. The trail is located north of Ocotillo right by Interstate 8. The trail is closed from January 1 through July 1 due to environmental issues and a lawsuit back in 2000. The trail starts at about 400 feet in elevation in Painted Gorge and winds its way to close to the top of the mountain at 2400 feet. The trail has some nice narrow ledges with close to 1,000 foot drop offs on the side. This is a out and back trail. Sadly a trail that went around the base of the mountain was closed off because a wilderness area boundary cut off access. I am not sure but this may be one of the few ledge trails in the area. I will post pictures after I do the run.

Last edited:

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Colorado

The Cordova Pass road runs from State Highway 12 (the Highway of Legends) @ FS 364 south of La Veta. It runs east-west on the south shoulders of the Twin Spanish Peaks. The John Farley Wildflower Overlook is a half-mile or so in from SH 12. There is a lot of private property along this road, so some caution is required on side trips so as not to run afoul of property owners.

There is parking available (for a fee) at the top of Cordova Pass, with some hiking trails running north that offer spectacular views of West Spanish Peak.

Lathrop State Park near Walsenburg on US 160 can serve as a good base; the campgrounds there are excellent. There is also a small commercial campground in La Veta that is quite nice.
Wow, thanks for sharing the pics MSteeves. Although now I'm depressed & want to move back to Colorado from the southeast...😕

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Ok, so the “Badge of Honor” trails are not my thing. I like to drive “trails” that take me to places that I would not go in a sedan and I want those trails to have something interesting at the end. Maybe it’s a great alpine fishing lake. Maybe it’s a fantastic hiking trailhead. Maybe it’s a great birding spot. The trail, for me, gets me TO my destination to do something— It’s not THE destination in and of itself.

The Badge of Honor trails, by definition, are challenging and the program is designed for those folks who want to challenge themselves, their driving skills, and their vehicle on an off-road adventure. It’s a GREAT program for folks so inclined. But I want my challenges to be on foot and I only want my Jeep to be able to take me to the starting line.

Consider this:

These old legs still love to hike. But these old legs are not up for the challenge of a 5-mile walk up a mountain TO a trailhead followed by a 10-mile out-and-back hiking trail followed by 5 miles back down to the vehicle. Don’t want to do 20-plus miles..... that’s where the Jeep comes in for me..... it will take me, without a care or trouble, the five miles up the mountain to the trailhead and let me do the 10-mile round trip hiking trail to that amazing glacier-fed waterfall that I would never get to see otherwise.

For others, it might be that overlanding trip through the desert with your 8-year old daughter and 9-year old son to an amazing geologic formation or earthquake fault. They have read all about how that feature was formed, they have studied it, and now, in your Jeep you get a chance to get them there and see it in person. Family Win!

For yet others, it might be the ability to get to that amazing high alpine fishing lake. You really have zero chance to fish that lake if you had to try to hike up from the paved road. But your Jeep got you there.

For still more, it might be about driving across miles of dirt path through the grasslands (or beach,etc) to that point where that particular migratory bird makes its summer home. Pull out your binoculars or spotting scope and add it to your life list.

You get the idea.

I propose that we start this crowdsourced thread — “Lifestyle Trails/Trails for Pusses” — the rule is that you must take your Jeep and you must travel on some kind of dirt/sand/gravel to get there — no special skills or mods needed - just a Jeep and a place to go to in order to do something you love. If you take your jeep and happen to be driving behind 3 Subaru’s, that‘s ok. Remember, this is Trails for Pusses. This isn’t about climbing high rock ledges or navigating death defying mud holes. Just great easy trails that get you to somewhere that you normally would not have been able to get to in your Honda 2WD sedan. Share your experience so others of similar minds might be able to get there too.

Make sense?

Each post should:
1) List the State. AT THE TOP SO FOLKS SEARCHING THE THREAD CAN EASILY SEE IT
2) List the Lifestyle Trail/Trail For Pusses, where it is, and what the attraction is at the end or along the way.
3) A picture or two paints a thousand words.
4) remember: must include driving OFF of the pavement to get there.

I’ll start..... see post below, for a good format that will help folks searching the thread in the future.....

EDIT:

Thanks to @PortlandJo, there is a handy reference map. See what’s close to you then take a look at the descriptions in this thread.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1ccyQTBU37HZ3n7GdprS8lhfw11hytH6G&usp=sharing
Well said sir. Well said.

Sponsored

COHiker

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread idea for those less strenuous trails where the end is the beginning.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Western North Carolina anyone? Thanks in advance!
Also interested in this one! We go to Cherokee and Maggie Valley on occasion and would love to hear about some trails in the area.
North Carolina has seemingly been on a mission to pave over all their roads. There are some forest service roads off the parkway. Don't have any specific. Mostly I've just found driving it. You can find them on the national parks map though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201017_082842

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
North Carolina has seemingly been on a mission to pave over all their roads. There are some forest service roads off the parkway. Don't have any specific. Mostly I've just found driving it. You can find them on the national parks map though.
Thanks rts4714 and obtusemeatball. We drove this forest service road (actually three connected) in the heart of the Pisgah Natl Forest. Maintained gravel roads 90% of the way. Orange route below, near Brevard NC. Nice hour long drive through the heart of the forest & over the top of a mountain. Should be beautiful in the summer & fall. We drove it last month & really enjoyed it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 1608036467567

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Based on these trails, I am going to make a road trip so I can hit the majority of those in Colorado and Utah as I go to Glacier National park next summer and back down through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons (stunningly beautiful) and then into Utah to go to Moab.
When you pass through Yellowstone do not miss the opportunity to go over the Beartooth Hwy/Pass. This is my single favorite drive I have ever done. I just took my kids over it last summer on the way back from picking up my JLURD in Idaho. They are still talking about it. My kids thought Yellowstone was "ok" and "kinda fun", but they are still raving about the Beartooth.

Trip was late June BTW (note the snow).

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20200628_181851 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20200628_183145

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
When you pass through Yellowstone do not miss the opportunity to go over the Beartooth Hwy/Pass. This is my single favorite drive I have ever done. I just took my kids over it last summer on the way back from picking up my JLURD in Idaho. They are still talking about it. My kids thought Yellowstone was "ok" and "kinda fun", but they are still raving about the Beartooth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20200628_183145

I will make sure to do that. Which dealership did you buy from? I bought my 2019 JLUR from Kent at Peterson.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I did the Carrizo Mountain jeep trail a couple weeks ago. The trail is located in Southern California, west Imperial County off of I-8. The trail starts in a volcanic rock desert wash at about 200 feet and quickly climbs up to 2200 feet. The trail is a true shelf trail with lots of rocks and steep inclines. If you are fearful of heights, this trail is not for you. At times the trail is narrow, rocky with a vertical face on one side and a thousand foot drop off on the other. Zero room for
error. The trail is out and back. The trail closes January 1 and opens July 1.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_152112
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_151941
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_150916
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_150326
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_140545
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_140144
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_121111
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 20201205_122538
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_2234

Last edited:

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Utah

Green River Launch Complex/New Area 51
Cool, abandoned piece of American Cold War history in the Utah dessert, just of Interstate-70 at Green River. I've been curious about this area for a long time, especially after learning the large black pyramid next to the freeway is a uranium disposal cell (and seeing "New Area 51" on the road maps). I'd consider all of this easy to very easy.

Exit I-70 at 164, turn north and head towards Green River. Just past the Super-8, turn south on 1170 East, then west on Elgin Ave. There are still some relics along Elgin, then south again at 800 East. After crossing the tracks you'll see more relics, the water tower, and the black uranium disposal cell.

From there head south under the freeway. The road turns east then forks. Left fork will lead you to the three missile launch pads; first intersection you can turn north to get back on freeway at same exit, stay straight at the intersection with Crystal Geyser road and you will head into the launch site.

The right fork turns to the Athena MTB trailhead, which is also around where the main government camp was located. There are still a lot of concrete pads here. This road takes you through several other relics, including monitoring stations and such.

You will ultimately connect to the Crystal Geyser Safari Route only a mile or two east of the Green River and the geyser. There is a large network of ATV/Jeep trails all over this area, bounded by I-70 on the north, Green River on the west, Hwy 191 (to Moab) on the east, and Canyonlands to the south. I generally find you encounter more people the further south and east you go.

White Wash Sand Dunes Recreation Area is about 1/3 of the way between Green River and Moab, and provides dune areas and a wide, flat wash to play in.

Ten Mile Wash is a little further south yet. There is a trail that goes all the way to the river, but the brush and tamarisk grows a little too tight for me to want to push the Jeep through. A lot of pictographs on the canyon walls in this wash if you choose to hike the sides instead of drive the middle.

First set of buildings off Elgin Ave
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_2234

Uranium disposal cell and water tower visible from freeway

Launch control bunker at the missile launch pads

Inside the remaining missile shelter

Top of Ten Mile Wash at dusk

You better be really "froggy" to get a Jeep all the way to the Green via Ten Mile Wash. Been riding the area down there for decades. Really awesome country. Blue Hills Road and Dubinky Well road to mention just a few that are easily accessible. Head to Hey Joe Canyon and the overlooks. Really is amazing country.

Sam

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

20200628_181851 (1).jpg

20200628_183145.jpg
Looking at the elevation, I
That's hilarious...got my 2020 JLURD from Kent at Peterson.
It was the easiest and best buying experience I have ever had for a vehicle.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Looking at the elevation, I

It was the easiest and best buying experience I have ever had for a vehicle.
Yup, same for me. Best price I could find in the country and easiest buying experience. Funny thing is I bought my 2003 Ram CTD there as well while I was stationed at Mountain Home. I had totally forgotten it was that dealership until I drove in to get the Jeep.
Sponsored