Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
And over at the Ford Dealership.. automated message “ due to unprecedented calls re/ deposit returns you may experience significant wait times to speak with an agent, you are caller 11,500, thank you for your patience” bwahahahaha
Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Someone with more money than sense will buy this, will overestimate their skills, not understand physics or vehicle limitations and then end up sideways and wrecked.

It’s only a matter of time. Who’s it going to be?

That and how a buyer will jump on these forums and rant
Just like the mishaps of some Dodge Hellcat owners.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
A couple of bits of info from jalopnik (which also quoted this thread!):

“The regular four-door Rubicon’s approach and departure angles are half a degree lower, the breakover angle is the same, and ground clearance is actually half an inch more than the 392's. Given that the 392 has an inch lift and sports the same tires as the Rubicon, this might seem a bit odd, but per an FCA representative, the 392's exhaust system and the skid plate to protect it are what reduce overall clearance.”

Suspecting that some of the hardware might be shared with the Wrangler-derived Jeep Gladiator pickup or its desert-running variant, the Jeep Gladiator Mojave, I reached out to FCA. A company rep broke down the commonalities in the suspension, writing in an email:

The Wrangler Rubicon 392 front axle is a modified version of the Gladiator Mojave axle, with the thicker tubes and cast iron knuckles, and 3.73 final drive ratio. It uses the Rubicon front locker. The rear axle has thicker axle tubes and modified suspension hard points for improved handling, a 3.73 final drive ratio and a locker. But it is not a Gladiator Mojave rear axle.”

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
So in a completely different direction...and to continue my campaign to get diesel specific suspensions, especially from MetalCloak. The curb weight on this vehicle (5100lbs) is within a few pounds of the diesel (soft top & 1/2 tank of diesel = 2700lbs front - 2340lbs rear). For comparison the curb weight of a 3.6 Rubicon is 4449lbs (Edmonds). It will be interesting to see if FCA keeps the same running gear as the diesel. If this is the case this jeep will only have slightly less than 1k lbs available between production weight and GVWR.

While this may seem like a lot, avg U.S. male = 195lbs avg U.S. woman = 165lbs (so 360lbs of basic two-person cargo). Hard top adds about 120lbs. Average 35" tires and new wheels add 150lbs. We are now at 630lbs extra. Rock rails add about and extra 50lbs over factory. Winch with cable weighs something like a 100lbs. We are now at 780lbs. Front and rear steel bumpers add about 160lbs. We are now at 940lbs...plus a bit of recovery gear and we are GVWR (6100lbs) and very near front and rear GAWR (3100lbs each yes I know this adds up to 6200lbs...and the GVWR is 6100lbs.). That does not include roof rack, belly armor, cooler, kids, lights, tent, dog, tool box, compressor, etc etc.

Both the diesel and now this engine seem to add something like 400lbs or more (some differences between customer taken weights and factory stated weights)...without really increasing GVWR and GAWR over a non-diesel Rubicon. The result is less usable weight....meaning even fairly basic set-ups will quickly exceed both GVWR and GAWRs(front GAWR most rapidly). And while suspension companies will likely say that 3.6 suspensions will work fine...you must ask do you want a suspension made for a max weight 5200 - 5500lbs vehicle on your 6200 - 6500lbs vehicle?

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm thinking this may have been a preemptive strike. Now FCA can claim Ford is reacting to them rather than the other way around.
I don't think anyone would argue with you. It's just sad to see Jeep so reactive instead of proactive. Lots of people wanted a 4 door Jeep; it took Hummer competition to do it. People have been asking for a V8 for years, and it took Bronco to reemerge to make it happen.

The lack of 35 or 37" tires (which, if they are optional, I would think it would have said so in the release) shows they are rushing this to production to steal someone else's thunder. Not a great look for the leader of the pack.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, interesting given the 4xe just launched. The most economical and the most wasteful (and most fun?) Jeep released the same year? Other than super-cruising I-5 or pulling a tourist out of a ditch, I can’t say I have ever needed “more power” from any of my Jeeps. If I weren’t such a #RWTH I’d like this one.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
No two door, full time 4wd, half the final ratio of normal rubicon. Gets a solid meh from me.

Wake me up when Jeep quits ignoring the 2 door and or actually starts listening. Looks like a half hearted attempt to me.

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't think anyone would argue with you. It's just sad to see Jeep so reactive instead of proactive. Lots of people wanted a 4 door Jeep; it took Hummer competition to do it. People have been asking for a V8 for years, and it took Bronco to reemerge to make it happen.

The lack of 35 or 37" tires (which, if they are optional, I would think it would have said so in the release) shows they are rushing this to production to steal someone else's thunder. Not a great look for the leader of the pack.
It should also be noted that Ford has been adamant up until this point that a V8 isn't going in a Bronco. Hopefully they will change their mind, for the sake of competition if nothing else.

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
" Would a two door with this much power be able to stay on the ground?"

AEV's been swapping 6.4s into 2-door JKs for years. There's no reason FCA couldn't do it too, except that they sell more 4-doors so they don't think the R&D on a 2-door would be worth it. Same reason we don't have a 2-door Gladiator, even though they built a concept and that concept is awesome. The 2-door is an enthusiast vehicle. The 4-door can haul around 3 kids and the family dog. Therefore the 4-door takes priority.
Keep the kids and the dog and I’ll take the 2 door instead 😜
Sponsored