Sponsored

2.0 Turbo owners what octane are you using?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Thanks for the feedback. I have a jerry can but no mount (do have one for my YJ). Guess I need to get a mount or a Rotopax and mount. Hoping it’s not an issue but trying to be prepared for worse case. Appreciate the response.
I highly recommend getting this:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rockslide-engineering-basic-ez-rack-kit-steel-8718-yj-tj-jk-jl.html

It goes around the spare tire. You'll need the RotoPax Deluxe Pack mount for it to fit but it's worth it.

https://rotopax.com/dlx-pack-mount.html?category_id=7

I have this using a 2G gas and 1G water. The water will block opening the rear but if you also get and install the Rough Country Spare Tire Relocation Bracket you'll be fine as it moves the spare tire up and out enough for clearance.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-spare-tire-relocation-plate-10526c.html
Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
2k miles. Still testing on 91. Getting 15/17 ('20 2.0T w/37s). Will drop down to 87 @ 5k and see what happens.

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
20 Willys turbo, Chevron 91 since day 1. Dealer tire size flash update, 16.5 mpg avg with 315/70r17 and AEV dualsport lift. 2 mpg better than my JK 2 door on 33s with a Rancho 2" lift.

BGP1972

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I highly recommend getting this:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rockslide-engineering-basic-ez-rack-kit-steel-8718-yj-tj-jk-jl.html

It goes around the spare tire. You'll need the RotoPax Deluxe Pack mount for it to fit but it's worth it.

https://rotopax.com/dlx-pack-mount.html?category_id=7

I have this using a 2G gas and 1G water. The water will block opening the rear but if you also get and install the Rough Country Spare Tire Relocation Bracket you'll be fine as it moves the spare tire up and out enough for clearance.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-spare-tire-relocation-plate-10526c.html
How does the water block? Do you have a picture? I’m thinking of getting this. Thanks

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
How does the water block? Do you have a picture? I’m thinking of getting this. Thanks

Great video on it. Skip to 7:30. The Pax container blocks you from opening the handle fully without a relocation bracket. In the video he has the relocation bracket but shows you if you have a large container how it blocks. I have the bracket installed and the 1G water and can fully open the latch without having to take the water off. If I had wider tires I could probably go bigger since I can wrap it further out on the spare.

I really like the system though and you can transplant it to any vehicle with a spare tire mounted so basically all your Jeeps in the future.

Sponsored

Gina

First Name
GiGi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2018 Sport 2 door. I mix it up between 87 and 91. I am averaging a combined 24 miles per gallon.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
2018 Sport 2 door. I mix it up between 87 and 91. I am averaging a combined 24 miles per gallon.
I do too, it is a little more work but it is cheaper than buying the mid-grade 89 octane

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Not bad huh? With 89 octane Freeway miles jlu 2.0L turbo (Sorry I had 80 octane before is 89)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo owners what octane are you using? 20200602_080332

Last edited:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
98 (which is together with 95 the standard here) though no idea of mpg. I'll pay attention to it the next times I fuel up.

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This is what i'm thinking I might do....Just mix it a little bit.

Any harm in feeding it different fuels? Maybe alternate or just mix in some 91 every now and then for a treat for the engine?

Not sure if it's really a treat though or you'd be doing some sort of harm mixing grades.

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
20 2.0T and 93. Be staying 19.5-20.5 on my reg commute. Just finished my lift and 37's so I'm sure the 93 will help with the extra load on the motor.

Granite Crystal Bandit

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
93 octane, getting 19.5 after 8+ tanks, 60-70% of my driving is at 65 mph, re-geared 3.45 to 4.56, Borla muffler, Mishimoto air intake

TheGreyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on elevation... optimal octane rating will change. At sea level DA, because the powertrain engineers will default to minimum and may offer an “optimum” recommendation, they recommend 91 as optimum for peak efficiency. What does that mean? Peak cylinder pressure and combustion chamber efficiency affecting the extraction of more BTU’s from the combustion process. Your fine if you want to run 87 at 0 DA, sea level. The ECM will adapt to that extent. If you want peak cylinder pressure and a more efficient combustion process...and you are willing to spend the extra $ to get more energy extracted per gallon of fuel, buy the 91 for the 2.0. The ECM MAY be able to adapt and make more power and be more efficient on 93 but that would require it being tested and compared to your normal driving habits using a lower octane.

Either way, whatever suits the owner best is the best choice.

PS, It is possible that they may allow the turbo to supply additional boost at elevation. If so, a higher octane may be of benefit again if it’s even available.
Other way around. High altitude allows for lower octane. Hence why you see 85 octane in places like Denver. Lower elevation requires higher octane. Science is fun.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
87 top tier only. Mileage average 24 or so mixed. No performance issues. I see no reason to use higher than that at this point.
Sponsored