EZTrunk looks interesting

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Nobody bothered to proofread the instruction “manual” before they sent it out. Grammar and spelling errors as well as being hard to understand sometimes :headbang:
Sponsored

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
This is how I ended up.
E815AA39-CCDC-426A-BD6A-6472C42B4349.jpeg
Thank you for posting a photo. This is the part I couldn’t understand very well. I have hardtop on and I didn’t install those blocks yet, but I noticed that there were longer screws in the kit and I could install them over the hardtop bottom. Did you leave out the hardtop bolts?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took me an hour and a half to install the eztrunk. Three things that bug me about it in my 2 door soft top. The soft top can’t sit all the way down when folded back so your rear view and over the shoulder will be compromised a bit. The eztrunk doesn’t lay flat down, it lays on top of the bar the back seats are attached to. Is it like that for everyone else? Lastly, the rod the back window attaches to has to be taken off when folding the ez trunk up and back down again. I always have my rear tailgate bar attached so that will be a pain. If you want to read about my install I posted it here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/eztrunk-for-jl-install.59516/post-1311881

Last edited:

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Took me an hour and a half to install the eztrunk. Three things that bug me about it in my 2 door soft top. The soft top can’t sit all the way down so your rear view and over the shoulder will be compromised a bit. The eztrunk doesn’t lay flat down, it lays on top of the bar the back seats are attached to. Is it like that for everyone else? Lastly, the rod the back window attaches to has to be taken off when folding the ez trunk up and back down again. I always have my rear tailgate bar attached so that will be a pain. If you want to read about my install I posted it here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/eztrunk-for-jl-install.59516/post-1311881
Have you tried cinching up the soft top with straps to reclaim some visibility? I use a simple lashing strap around the top when I have it back and I seem to be able to get some extra visibility doing that... though that's without an EZTrunk in the way... maybe there's no gain?

Any chance you could take a pic of the "collapsed" configuration (laying on top of the rear seat bar)?

Is there any reason you leave your rear window bar on when you take the rear window off? I did for a while, but I pull it off with the rear window now; leaving it in was an obstruction to the cargo area while in safari mode.

Were you able to correct the lid not sitting straight?

Thanks for posting your experiences thus far!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried cinching up the soft top with straps to reclaim some visibility? I use a simple lashing strap around the top when I have it back and I seem to be able to get some extra visibility doing that... though that's without an EZTrunk in the way... maybe there's no gain?

Any chance you could take a pic of the "collapsed" configuration (laying on top of the rear seat bar)?

Is there any reason you leave your rear window bar on when you take the rear window off? I did for a while, but I pull it off with the rear window now; leaving it in was an obstruction to the cargo area while in safari mode.

Were you able to correct the lid not sitting straight?

Thanks for posting your experiences thus far!
I leave the tailgate bar on because I strap my soft top to it to squeeze it down as much as I can. Without strapping it to the tailgate bar it doesn’t stay locked down, idk if I got a defective top or what but I saw that’s what some people here were doing and it works great.

I haven’t corrected the lid not sitting straight but I have a feeling that’s what that left over part is for that I posted in the other thread. It does sit straight when I put it on there it’s just confusing why one side naturally leans lower and would need a platform to keep it straight.

It’s hard to get a picture of where it’s sitting on the bar because it’s too tight for me to get back there but here are some pictures. Where the arrows are pointing is where the trunk rests on when collapsed.

Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting D8018EBB-8BE3-4F76-8221-9419D64167F3
Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting 47DFB3C0-747B-4946-A519-A1B07E20C3F5
Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting 8F604FCE-0871-402A-B84D-15C175F65982

Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting 1A30D145-2438-4520-94F3-FB6E479848B7

Last edited:

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I leave the tailgate bar on because I strap my soft top to it to squeeze it down as much as I can. Without strapping it to the tailgate bar it doesn’t stay locked down, idk if I got a defective top or what but I saw that’s what some people here were doing and it works great.

I haven’t corrected the lid not sitting straight but I have a feeling that’s what that left over part is for that I posted in the other thread. It does sit straight when I put it on there it’s just confusing why one side naturally leans lower and would need a platform to keep it straight.

It’s hard to get a picture of where it’s sitting on the bar because it’s too tight for me to get back there but here are some pictures. Where the arrows are pointing is where the trunk rests on when collapsed.
Thanks for the photos! Yeah I see what you're saying with where it contacts the rear seat hardware. It doesn't look awful though; does it rattle?

I don't often have the top all the way back, but when I do, I run my lash straps around the top and down to the anchor points in the cargo area. It seemed like I would damage the gasket going around the tailgate bar. That might be hard to do with the EZTrunk in the way. I'd try something like a luggage strap, just bundling the top to itself to see if you can gain some inches.

Overall, it looks like a pretty workable setup. Swapping between secure storage behind the seats and expanded cargo with the seats folded seems super handy.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the photos! Yeah I see what you're saying with where it contacts the rear seat hardware. It doesn't look awful though; does it rattle?

I don't often have the top all the way back, but when I do, I run my lash straps around the top and down to the anchor points in the cargo area. It seemed like I would damage the gasket going around the tailgate bar. That might be hard to do with the EZTrunk in the way. I'd try something like a luggage strap, just bundling the top to itself to see if you can gain some inches.

Overall, it looks like a pretty workable setup. Swapping between secure storage behind the seats and expanded cargo with the seats folded seems super handy.
Yup I definitely like it. There are some instructions on how to strap the soft top down to the eztrunk but I don’t really understand it. The strap in the photos are included with the trunk. I’ll try to figure it out later and maybe I won’t need the tailgate bar anymore. Here are the instructions:

Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting F886351D-0D90-4042-BA4D-2CB4BE4312BA
Jeep Wrangler JL EZTrunk looks interesting E98BA312-9CF1-494E-8962-EA847196DD26

Also, it doesn’t lay flat down so I’m sure it will rattle while driving. I’m heading out later this afternoon and I’ll listen for any rattle while collapsed and standing up.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Bloody hell, the grammar in those instruction document photos is lousy. The text should be a source of clarity if the pictures don't make sense, but the opposite seems to be true.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Yup I definitely like it. There are some instructions on how to strap the soft top down to the eztrunk but I don’t really understand it. The strap in the photos are included with the trunk. I’ll try to figure it out later and maybe I won’t need the tailgate bar anymore. Here are the instructions:

F886351D-0D90-4042-BA4D-2CB4BE4312BA.jpeg
E98BA312-9CF1-494E-8962-EA847196DD26.jpeg

Also, it doesn’t lay flat down so I’m sure it will rattle while driving. I’m heading out later this afternoon and I’ll listen for any rattle while collapsed and standing up.
Ah, I see what's up there.. looks like the lashing strap is attached to the underside of the EZTunk lid and you just hook it onto the header bar and cinch it down. That's handy!

I'll bet tossing a small blanket down before you fold it up would prevent contact noise with the rear seat.... it's always handy to have a blanket onboard; Harbor Freight is my go-to.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@daveprice7 just realized that I don’t need the tailgate bar anymore since my top will not press down further than the lid anyway so it is of no use to me now. It’s kind of a bummer and a relief. So yes I will use the eztrunk to secure my top down like in the picture. :)

Also the only time I noticed a rattle was when going over speed bumps and it isn’t even that bad.

So far I am very happy with it!

Sponsored

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
Anybody know if you have the trail rail system if this will still work? Assuming the only downside is if you have the rings installed it wouldn’t sit flat/level?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody know if you have the trail rail system if this will still work? Assuming the only downside is if you have the rings installed it wouldn’t sit flat/level?
I’m sorry I don’t know what the trail rail system looks like. If you have a 2 door and can send me pics of what you’re talking about maybe I can answer this for you.

So anyway, very excited about my new security trunk I was ready to take full advantage of it by disabling my electric tailgate since I don’t have proximity locks :mad:. I was trying to find videos on how to do it but made sure I really needed to before I went through the trouble.

I locked all doors with the key fob and the doors only unlock when I reach inside and use the door handle to open the door. The alarm went off and I can open both doors but not the tailgate. It stays locked! I have a 2020 JL and I’m very excited because disabling the electric tailgate would be so inconvenient for me to have to use a key to get in every time and I was pretty bummed about it. :):LOL::clap:
Sponsored