Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Lol. I thought I was crazy and didn't mention this to anyone, but my '18 JL Sport handling improved considerably with mileage. It started improving even before the stabilizer upgrade. I'm not sure if there's science behind this or not. All I know is the improvement is too great to be attributed to "getting used to it." Right off the dealer lot decreasing PSI from 42 to 36 improved things considerably. Sounds like our OP could be fine with new stabilizer and air pressure check.
Tire pressure is huge. Even 37 psi on a 33 ā€œ tire is stupid! Tires are a part of suspension. They soak up bumps and vibes , but if they are inflated to 42 its like being on skis. While most manufacturers offer low profile tires which suck at this , take advantage of the huge side wall on the rubicon and air that shit down a little. Youll notice a smoother ride.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Thats because they both have different caster numbers. A difference of 1-2 degrees and steering can feel flighty at highway speeds.
And Sahara caster is not adjustable so they should have designed it properly

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just bought a 2019 JLR after giving up my BMW 328i convertible (my favorite car of all time). My wife drives a BW X1. We both love our new Jeep. No surprise it doesn't drive anything like any BMW we've owned but we expected that. Even our Rubicon is fun to drive. My wife wants me to take her X1 so she can drive the JLR full time. I said, "No, no, no that is not going to happen. Why don't you buy one of your own."

Test drive some JKs and JLs then accept the fact they drive like Jeeps, some of the best Jeeps ever made. Get one and enjoy going places you could not go before and being able to get out of places you probably shouldn't have gone.

Last edited:

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I just recently picked up a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, my first Jeep ever. I test drove one beforehand as well just to make sure I'd like it. It definitely handles differently. The steering feels a bit looser, but it's never bad, and I never have any shaking or shimmying when I hit bumps or anything like that. It took me a couple days to get used to it. Now I don't even notice the handling/steering differences. It rides surprisingly well for an off road setup with solid axles. I have to say it's probably one of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven. It's been great in the snow too in 4Hi.

I don't have a ton of past experience, but from what I've gathered reading and my own personal experience, Jeeps are going to handle differently due to their design. They shouldn't be doing any violent shaking or things like that though.

OP
OP

Jeep_life123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISO Jeep
They did get the shimmy fixed by replacing the steering damper and track bar. I hit many pot holes and bridge gaps and it was solid. The steering though just wasnā€™t as good as the other 2019 Jeeps I drove. I wasnā€™t comfortable pulling the trigger not knowing if I could get the Jeep to drive like the others with aftermarket. Sooo still considering my options at this point.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE :)

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the ā€œnormā€ and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. Iā€™d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. Iā€™d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldnā€™t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

Appreciate your insights on a potential new Jeeper.
certain jus have steering issues, donā€™t buy that one try driving a few more.. I have the issue and replaced my steering stabilizer and track bar.. just to feel safe at high speed..

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Return that one and try another.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
First and foremost, find the one you feel good being in and driving. Keep testing. As you can see, some JLs have dead spots and some don't. My 2.0 JLU Sport S is very sensitive to steering input. I have no dead spot but I do have to put more attention to the wheel to keep her going straight. That's just the nature of Jeeps in general, our 2007 JK is the same. There's a certain overpass section on the highway around me that if I hit my Jeep will shake for a second or two before going away. So far it only has happened on that patch for some reason. I've hit potholes and other crap and had no issues.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I just bought a 2019 JLR after giving up my BMW 328i convertible (my favorite car of all time). My wife drives a BW X1. We both love our new Jeep. No surprise it doesn't drive anything like any BMW we've owned but we expected that. Even our Rubicon is fun to drive. My wife wants me to take her X1 so she can drive the JLR full time. I said, "No, no, no that is not going to happen. Why don't you buy one of your own."

Test drive some JKs and JLs then accept the fact they drive like Jeeps, some of the best Jeeps ever made. Get one and enjoy going places you could not go before and being able to get out of places you probably shouldn't have gone.
Exactly!

Jnez2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Sounds on par with a lot of other posts.

Personally speaking, my JL seems to wander less than others on here report, and my steering wheel does NOT shake. But the steering does have a numb feel overall.

Feel free to search ā€œwandering steeringā€ on this forum and read to your heartā€™s content.

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck.
Anything you have done to help out with the numb feeling? Iā€™m also a newbie and was trying to figure out whatā€™s normal... For me there just seems to be zero trace of any real resistance in the wheel. Particularly when turning at low speeds. Just took it fit a drive up the canyon and my elbow was at my hip trying to get around the turns sometimes.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Determining and maintaining the correct tire pressure was critical to preserving the proper/best steering quality on my YJ. This is also the case for my JL.

In the latter's case, with the stock Michelin LTX all-season radials in situ, 37 PSI cold pressure is the sweet spot. The vehicle's steering quality is, IMO, about as good as you'll ever experience in a solid axle rig like the Wrangler. I've no complaints.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes but the problem here is 95% of people here have no mechanical experience or previous jeep ownership so its kind of an echo chamber... i can tell you that its normal, they drive unlike any car and even most modern trucks. Body on frame, 5 link setup and recirculating ball power assist steering. Its a bit crude but its a trade off for other capability. If you want a nice ride get a 12-14 range rover sport or something with ifs and unibody.
95%? prove it.

People using fake ā€numbersā€ to make a point immediately lose credibility. Your point may be that ā€ ā€˜manyā€˜ people on here....ā€. If so, than we can likely agree. But to use bogus ā€œstatsā€ to make your points only serves to minimize your arguments.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Anything you have done to help out with the numb feeling? Iā€™m also a newbie and was trying to figure out whatā€™s normal... For me there just seems to be zero trace of any real resistance in the wheel. Particularly when turning at low speeds. Just took it fit a drive up the canyon and my elbow was at my hip trying to get around the turns sometimes.
Not really. I swapped the OE Bridgestone Duelers with a set of KO2s and keep them at the recommended 36 PSI. Thatā€™s it.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE :)

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the ā€œnormā€ and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. Iā€™d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. Iā€™d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldnā€™t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

Appreciate your insights on a potential new Jeeper.
SHAKING STEERING - I had this problem its called "Bump Steer", but it went away once I complained and they did some software calibrations.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
This is because of the steering box ratio - according to some research done by another member, the 4-door box is 15.6 to 1 and the 2-door box is 17.4 to 1. Basically what's happening is since we have these high-ratio boxes, it makes the turning effort easier because of the heavy wheel-tire combo, but can make it prone to numbness or wandering (think old '70s couch-on-wheels Buicks and Cadillacs). Sports cars and the like have much tighter ratio boxes, usually around 12 to 1.

These numbers translate into roughly 4 complete rotations of the steering wheel to go from full-left to full-right when you have a box around 17:1, and 3 complete rotations (maybe less) of the steering wheel when it's dropped down to 12:1. That will make a big difference in how much the steering wheel needs to be turned to negotiate a curve, and how numb it may feel. But again, remember this is Jeep's way of avoiding complaints that the steering is too heavy or firm; a quick-ratio box can give that feeling to some drivers, especially with heavy wheels and tires.
Sponsored