Looking for opinions on shocks.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
At the risk of drawing out the Rough Country haters I am happy to chime in here. I have the 2.5 inch RC lift with the Vertex Adjustable shocks on my 2020 Rubi. I've had them on for about 4k or 5k miles now. Zero problems. Full disclosure I did swap out the RC springs. Not that I didn't like them but I had a chance to put the Rusty's 2 inch progressive rate springs (front and rear) made by Eibach for Rustys and once I put em on i never took them off!! SO I'm running Vertex 2-3inch Ressie shocks with Rustys Performance package (2 inch springs and all the lower control arms plus the track bars) and I kept RC sway bar end links and bump stops on.

Jeep rides great on and off road. I've said this in another thread but i'll briefly review. I live in central Vermont. I live 3 miles up a dirt road. No other way to my house other than a rutted, pot holed, washboard dirt road. I have 2 vehicles. A 2020 Rubicon and 2017 Raptor. When no one is around and all the farm animals and tractors are to bed i often BOMB up my 25 mph road at 40 or 45. The Vertex shocks are usually set on mid setting #4. She runs great! Not exactly as well as the Raptor but that is kinda Raptor territory. Also tonnes of great trails to run around here. Big rocks, ruts, mud pools and some steep climbs. I have no issues with the setup.

On road - everything is 30 to 45 minutes away around here. Jeep runs great. Corners pretty flat but not a harsh ride.

Im not fan boy, just happy customer. Both Rustys and RC have great customer service. Those Vertex shocks come with 3 year warranty as well. happy to answer any questions and good luck.

couple pics!!

20200506_182321.jpg
20200506_174157.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
Are you running the ones for the 2-3” lift? I don’t plan on going any bigger than a 35 and currently have no lift, I might at some point go 1-1 1/2” at the very most 2” and these look like the lengths will work out for any of the above.
Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
$280 was an average price for a universal fit IFP shock. Fox has an OEM direct fit 2.0 Remote Reservoir shock that is a little more expensive. Unique hose routing and reservoir bracket make it more expensive.
Front shocks come in pairs:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...x-2-0-performance-series-remote-reservoir-jl/

Rear shocks are sold individually:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...-series-remote-reservoir-jeep-jl-rear-shocks/
What happened to the Fox 2.0 Performance Series R/R with LSC adjusters? I don't see that on your site anymore

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you running the ones for the 2-3” lift? I don’t plan on going any bigger than a 35 and currently have no lift, I might at some point go 1-1 1/2” at the very most 2” and these look like the lengths will work out for any of the above.
Yes - i am running the 2 - 3 inch lift RC Vertex adjustable shocks with 2 inch springs (from Rustys) and all of Rustys adjustable lower control arms - front and rear as well as track bars. Right now very happy - i wouldn't change a thing!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Yes - i am running the 2 - 3 inch lift RC Vertex adjustable shocks with 2 inch springs (from Rustys) and all of Rustys adjustable lower control arms - front and rear as well as track bars. Right now very happy - i wouldn't change a thing!
You are running a 35” tire on yours still right?

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
The Vertex shocks for 2-3" work perfect with 35's. They work great with absolutely no lift, and even work great with a 2" spacer lift.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see a 0-1.5” option, just the 2-3”
Sorry, got numbers mixed up. You are correct.

Mine are for 2-3" lift, but these dont require any bump stop changes. You can run them with no lift. They compress to nearly the exact same length as the stock Rubicon shocks, but add more travel because they have longer extension than the Rubicon shocks.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I have the Rough Country Vertex shocks for 2-3" lift. They extend the travel 3" more than the stock Rubicon shocks, but dont require any change in bump stops. Performance is impressive on and offroad.
Even with the front rc shock being a smidge longer(16.10in vs rubi 15.5in) we won’t need bumpstop spacers? I’m looking at these shocks for my jl with rubi take offs.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even with the front rc shock being a smidge longer(16.10in vs rubi 15.5in) we won’t need bumpstop spacers? I’m looking at these shocks for my jl with rubi take offs.
Im using Metalcloak bump stop replacements that are stouter than stock, but they dont change the bottoming height. They just take more of a beating than the stock ones do.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Im using Metalcloak bump stop replacements that are stouter than stock, but they dont change the bottoming height. They just take more of a beating than the stock ones do.
I love my metalcloak durosprings. Bottoming out is a whole lot smoother imo.
I’m thinking to be on the safe side if i decide on the rc vertex i’m gonna throw in a half inch bumpstops shim from teraflex since the front end will most likely be getting a spacer to compensate for the bumper.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my metalcloak durosprings. Bottoming out is a whole lot smoother imo.
I’m thinking to be on the safe side if i decide on the rc vertex i’m gonna throw in a half inch bumpstops shim from teraflex since the front end will most likely be getting a spacer to compensate for the bumper.
I yanked my springs out and lowered the full weight of the jeep onto the Durosprings to measure the shock bottoming, and there was still travel left on the shocks with the Durosprings half compressed by the weight.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I yanked my springs out and lowered the full weight of the jeep onto the Durosprings to measure the shock bottoming, and there was still travel left on the shocks with the Durosprings half compressed by the weight.
I wonder though if just resting the jeep on them would be different than bottoming out hard. In terms of lengths fully compressed on the bumpstops. The huge selling point was that they’re as long as stock bumpstops when fully compressed. So to me, and extra half inch is a safety net under a hard bottom out.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder though if just resting the jeep on them would be different than bottoming out hard. In terms of lengths fully compressed on the bumpstops. The huge selling point was that they’re as long as stock bumpstops when fully compressed. So to me, and extra half inch is a safety net under a hard bottom out.
I occasionally beat mine really hard in the sand dunes and they work great.

Its nice to have shocks perform well enough you can carry enough speed to skip accross the tops of the whoops.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR
I occasionally beat mine really hard in the sand dunes and they work great.

Its nice to have shocks perform well enough you can carry enough speed to skip accross the tops of the whoops.
Hey Paul, how are the RC Vertex shocks in the winter? Do they stiffen up much when cold? I'm interested in them, but I don't want to repeat mistakes I've made in the past. The Bilsteins on my Tacoma stiffened a lot in the winter, so much that I could tell the temperature by how the truck rode. Thanks
Sponsored