Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I've been running mine for almost 2 years with zero issues, works exactly as it is supposed to.
Im hoping to get many years without issues, do you have the G screen ?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a bit of info I got from the Full River folks on charging my batteries I figured I would share for those interested, see there answer underlined in red at the bottom

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 0242FC0F-C458-4D3B-A224-F989422B16B1

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I just bought one for my 2020 JLUR, going to go for it Saturday.
Correction, kid and I knocked it out after dinner, using ratchets (my lithium crap is elsewhere-don't want to buy two sets), also ran COM power through both rubber boots in the passenger firewall since we were already there. Moved the winch over to the AUX battery. Cranked and idled for about 30m to make sure nothing wonky, then went for ice cream (payola for the help).

Tips for others and general notes.

A nice long 3/8 socket set with a few extensions makes it quite simple. You will need metric and sae.

Seriously, use the boot and run your other wiring for your appliances, etc when you have the bay open. That is what it's for I just used a plastic 2 phillips and a wind of electrical tape to gently push through.

There are two other bolts on the OG battery tray that are not mentioned in the video, but you can see the flanges in the video as it's removed.

My JLUR is a manual, there was only one nut on the frame ground being used, it held two blue factory scribed grounds, the bolt next to it has factory pant on bolt and nut and has not been touched.

Basically, it's take it all out, put the tray in and reconnect. If you don't number the leads into the fuse box, your cra-cra.

Few photos in build thread tomorrow.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Basically, it's take it all out, put the tray in and reconnect. If you don't number the leads into the fuse box, your cra-cra.
I started numbering the leads, and then noticed the terminals and posts were stamped. At least on my ‘18 anyways. All except for #5 for some reason.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 815CE682-6A9C-4CC2-A714-14B1D7BB3A7C

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I started numbering the leads, and then noticed the terminals and posts were stamped. At least on my ‘18 anyways. All except for #5 for some reason.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 815CE682-6A9C-4CC2-A714-14B1D7BB3A7C
Yeah, they are stamped differently, I noticed that too, but my eyes suck. I could see my dumb ass trashing the fuse box torquing the incorrect one.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The only part I noticed and its normal according to Shane from Genesis is that Cole Hersee solenoid gets pretty dam hot and stays hot most of the time so for those out there that are not aware if this it can give you a burn if you lay your arm on it, the only time it’s not so hot is when your main crank battery falls below 12.7 as it closes and isolates the two batteries

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had the duel battery kit installed for a few months without any issues. Most of my daily driving is 10-15 minutes and I know it probably isn’t enough to keep both batteries fully charged. Knowing this I have always kept a close eye on the battery voltage on the dash display. (I need to order the G-screen). Went out of town for a short trip roughly about an hour I noticed that the battery voltage was 14.4 volts and only dropped down to 14.3. Even after the trip home the voltage was reading 14.4.
I checked all the connections on top of the batteries and nothing is loose. I never use the ESS and have it bypasses with a Tazer. anybody else have this issue? Am I overthinking this situation? I have been thinking of buying a battery tender as I don’t think the battery charger I have will work.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Similar situation to mine. Have you put a voltmeter on your battery with the Jeep off to see what your batteries’ resting voltage is? The 14+ number you’re seeing on the dash is the charging voltage while the vehicle is running. It’s staying that high because (as you suggested) it’s never getting a chance to fully charge so it is always providing maximum charging voltage. That number will start dropping during a much longer drive.

Fearing that I was going to prematurely kill my batteries if I kept up with this routine of rarely fully charging, I installed a battery charger/tender this week. I went with the NOCO Genius 10. Has a lot of features that will take care of my Jeep’s needs, as well as the motorcycles and other vehicles in my household.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had the duel battery kit installed for a few months without any issues. Most of my daily driving is 10-15 minutes and I know it probably isn’t enough to keep both batteries fully charged. Knowing this I have always kept a close eye on the battery voltage on the dash display. (I need to order the G-screen). Went out of town for a short trip roughly about an hour I noticed that the battery voltage was 14.4 volts and only dropped down to 14.3. Even after the trip home the voltage was reading 14.4.
I checked all the connections on top of the batteries and nothing is loose. I never use the ESS and have it bypasses with a Tazer. anybody else have this issue? Am I overthinking this situation? I have been thinking of buying a battery tender as I don’t think the battery charger I have will work.
Similar situation to mine. Have you put a voltmeter on your battery with the Jeep off to see what your batteries’ resting voltage is? The 14+ number you’re seeing on the dash is the charging voltage while the vehicle is running. It’s staying that high because (as you suggested) it’s never getting a chance to fully charge so it is always providing maximum charging voltage. That number will start dropping during a much longer drive.

Fearing that I was going to prematurely kill my batteries if I kept up with this routine of rarely fully charging, I installed a battery charger/tender this week. I went with the NOCO Genius 10. Has a lot of features that will take care of my Jeep’s needs, as well as the motorcycles and other vehicles in my household.
I have been running my Genesis system for several weeks and I routinely see 12.8 on the EVIC display after driving for 30-45 mins, it normally starts off at 14.2-14.3 after it’s sat a day but quickly will drop to the mid to low 13’s after a 30 min drive on average

I will say I have a NOCO Genius 10 and also recently picked up a Odyssey 20 and I have been testing both and so far the Odyssey seems to be a tad better than the NOCO as it holds the voltage up in the 14.5-14.7 range the Full River likes to see with their batteries and the Odyssey Rep i have spoke with on several occasions advised that the 20 amp charger matches the Full River charger curve really well but I also spoke to Full River and they advised that lots of their customers use the NOCO 10 and like it.

My metered voltage at the batteries has been 12.6-12.8 and 99% of the time the smart isolator solenoid has been closed so the batteries are connected and I have checked the solenoid for correct operation several times and it works as designed.

My guess would be if you are seeing 14+ all the time either the batteries are not fully charged or there is a possible issue with the IBS or loose connections at the terminals, also check to see if the smart isolator is working correctly.

My JL has been at rest all night at work at upon getting in it to come home the EVIC display was at 13.8 and after a 30 min drive it was 13.0-13.1 and when I got home I checked with my meter real quick and they both were 12.95 and isolator was closed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my voltage reading on startup this a.m

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 881EB37D-D642-4463-AA96-1866D19E1BBB

and here is was when I got home 30 mins later, most of my trip home is highway speeds, so in 30 miles it dropped .8 volts of charging capacity which is the smart charging side of the JL but after chatting with Full River battery reps there batteries also have low resistance and supposedly charge easier than most.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 50E90714-D6F2-4F96-9107-21E31AB8C210

And when I got home I grabbed my meter and voltage on both batteries were 12.95, now this is kind of a inflated voltage as I had just shut down the engine but when I got up to come back in 9 hrs later the voltages were 12.70 but just like when I got home the smart isolator had both batteries connected as the solenoid was warm and resistance was low, mine does not disconnect until like 12.58-12.60 but even at that voltage any vehicle should start with no issues

On my startup coming back into work this evening my starting voltage displayed was 13.7 but as we all know this high voltage is influenced by the alternator so it’s not the true voltages of the batteries and after about a 40-45 min drive into work the displayed voltage was 12.9-13.0

I know AGM batteries like to be charged at a higher rate but the smart charging system of the JL will not do this as we know it monitors the voltage thru the IBS and only charges what the batteries needs are, I have considered unplugging the IBS and just throw 14.3 volts all the time to the batteries but not sure what long term affects this would have on the batteries or charging system in general so for now my plan is to just run with the way it’s designed and use either my NOCO 10 or Odyssey 20 to top off my batteries weekly.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my dual battery a few months ago and works great. I also installed the G Screen and really like the ability to look at voltage quickly.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my dual battery a few months ago and works great. I also installed the G Screen and really like the ability to look at voltage quickly.
Where did you mount the G screen, I’ve heard some say by the rear view mirror by the air bag indicator but there looks to be little room behind that trim piece

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
i ended up putting the G screen down by the left driver knee, right below the speaker. I wanted to put it up to the left by the grab handle but it was really tight. I also looked at rear view mirror but also looked hard. I opted for an easy route;))
Sponsored