Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
If you’ve got a stock 3.0 diesel putting out the numbers shown you need to get copies of the Dyno and send them to FCA, cause I sure they’ll want to buy yours back and give you a new for free. Seriously, the Dyno’s fubar’d. I’ve been messing with diesel’s since 1978, I’ve tuned and hot rodded more than a few, and the kind of hp/torque noted ain’t happening out of a stock 3.0 EcoD. Gale Banks isn’t getting those numbers out of modded 3.0’s, and he’s forgotten more about diesel’s than 99% of the world will ever know. Believe what you want, and if it makes you feel fuzzy that’s ok with me, just don’t ever make the mistake of betting anyone you’re getting that kind of power. The 27 mpg your getting by the way is about right for a new eco, and it should go up 2-3 once she’s got 10k or so on it. Also, a cetane booster, like Powerservice grey bottle, will kick up your cetane and give a bit better mpg’s and a tad more power. These European diesel’s are engineered for euro diesel which runs 48-50 cetane. Diesel here in the States is typically 40-42 cetane. Enjoy your new ride. They are great engines. Mine has 70 k on it and has been tuned since 12k. Out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
That looks good and a lot more plausible. Although I'm not sure why the gassers would be weeping, that's around the same HP as the gas motors are making....without the ~500lb diesel penalty....which is why you don't see much performance difference between any of the powertrains.
Correct me if I’m wrong but they aren’t making 400 Ft Lb TQ at the wheels though are they? Stock at least

I didn’t buy it for the Dyno numbers - I have a 785hp Tesla that does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds right now... selling it for the Jeep ... I bought it to get much better gas MPG than the gassers with huge tires and loaded down with equipment.

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
So you started the thread with wheel hp/tq numbers and went on to give crank numbers in the description (after finding the error) but left it as if the crank number came from the dyno? ???
I’ll edit the edited description just for you buddy :headbang:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Correct me if I’m wrong but they aren’t making 400 Ft Lb TQ at the wheels though are they? Stock at least

I didn’t buy it for the Dyno numbers - I have a 785hp Tesla that does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds right now... selling it for the Jeep ... I bought it to get much better gas MPG than the gassers with huge tires and loaded down with equipment.
They all can put several thousand lb ft of torque down at the wheels (fl lb isn’t a thing). The amount of torque multiplication available is based on engine torque and engine speed. The latter of which is an issue for the diesel, which is why it isn’t making more horsepower than the other powertrains.

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Hey whatever...just trying to figure out the point of your thread here.
What’s the point of any thread where people do things to their Jeep on here? Also what’s the point of trolling other peoples threads needlessly???

I broke my motor in on the Dyno and thought I would share the results with everyone on here. Didn’t realize people would be so salty about it.

Guess I should’ve made a thread about bolting on some chrome nerf bars and a KC light bar instead :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
If you’ve got a stock 3.0 diesel putting out the numbers shown you need to get copies of the Dyno and send them to FCA, cause I sure they’ll want to buy yours back and give you a new for free. Seriously, the Dyno’s fubar’d. I’ve been messing with diesel’s since 1978, I’ve tuned and hot rodded more than a few, and the kind of hp/torque noted ain’t happening out of a stock 3.0 EcoD. Gale Banks isn’t getting those numbers out of modded 3.0’s, and he’s forgotten more about diesel’s than 99% of the world will ever know. Believe what you want, and if it makes you feel fuzzy that’s ok with me, just don’t ever make the mistake of betting anyone you’re getting that kind of power. The 27 mpg your getting by the way is about right for a new eco, and it should go up 2-3 once she’s got 10k or so on it. Also, a cetane booster, like Powerservice grey bottle, will kick up your cetane and give a bit better mpg’s and a tad more power. These European diesel’s are engineered for euro diesel which runs 48-50 cetane. Diesel here in the States is typically 40-42 cetane. Enjoy your new ride. They are great engines. Mine has 70 k on it and has been tuned since 12k. Out.
Such a nice comment, thanks for being what I thought Jeep guys were about. A cool dude that’s actually here to be helpful.

I appreciate your input on the Cetane booster and will definitely look into it!!

Wish more comments like this one came through.

Are you running a custom tune on yours? I haven’t seen anything available publicly yet..

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Such a nice comment, thanks for being what I thought Jeep guys were about. A cool dude that’s actually here to be helpful.

I appreciate your input on the Cetane booster and will definitely look into it!!

Wish more comments like this one came through.

Are you running a custom tune on yours? I haven’t seen anything available publicly yet..
Check with Green Diesel Engineering in Michigan. im running their tune and have been for a while. EPA got after them a year ago, so they developed a tune and had it “blessed” by the EPA folks. i know they also have the tune for the GC with this engine, so if they dont already have it for aJL, the “will” almost certainly be developing one. Their tunes are not super hot, BUT they will give a nice boost in hp and torque. Most importantly though, they move the power and and make a much more “drivable” vehicle than stock, all while meeting emissions requirements. My tuned diesel runs cleaner than my stock gasser. For diesel newbies, Remember that #2 diesel will gel at 18F, rendering your vehicle undrivable. MOST fuel in the States is winterized to prevent this, but driving from a warm clime to a cold one may still see this issue.. a quick preventative in this situation is pre treating the fuel with a few ounces of white bottle Powerservice (or similar anti gel). Also, DEF from the pump at a truck stop will be a bunch less expensive than the jugs from Walmart etc. typically I am paying $2.53/gallon vs as high as $20 for 2 1/2 gallon jug. At a major truck stop the DEF turns over pretty regularly so it’s going to be fresh. Enjoy your diesel (Oh, and your trivia for today, Rudolf Diesel originally designed his engine to run on peanut oil

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Check with Green Diesel Engineering in Michigan. im running their tune and have been for a while. EPA got after them a year ago, so they developed a tune and had it “blessed” by the EPA folks. i know they also have the tune for the GC with this engine, so if they dont already have it for aJL, the “will” almost certainly be developing one. Their tunes are not super hot, BUT they will give a nice boost in hp and torque. Most importantly though, they move the power and and make a much more “drivable” vehicle than stock, all while meeting emissions requirements. My tuned diesel runs cleaner than my stock gasser. For diesel newbies, Remember that #2 diesel will gel at 18F, rendering your vehicle undrivable. MOST fuel in the States is winterized to prevent this, but driving from a warm clime to a cold one may still see this issue.. a quick preventative in this situation is pre treating the fuel with a few ounces of white bottle Powerservice (or similar anti gel). Also, DEF from the pump at a truck stop will be a bunch less expensive than the jugs from Walmart etc. typically I am paying $2.53/gallon vs as high as $20 for 2 1/2 gallon jug. At a major truck stop the DEF turns over pretty regularly so it’s going to be fresh. Enjoy your diesel (Oh, and your trivia for today, Rudolf Diesel originally designed his engine to run on peanut oil
Thanks @Oldbear and I already ordered a bottle of Hot Shot’s Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment - very similar to the Grey bottle stuff you mentioned. Rated a little better and has a 7 Cetane boost with only 1.5 oz per tankful!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So, just to be clear, manufacturers would state flywheel hp, no? If so, FCA claims 442 but OP's dyno run claims 495? Color me skeptical but if it truly did that much FCA would want to claim as much, wouldn't they?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

id love to swap the motors from my model Y into a Jeep.
feels like time travel when i mash the go pedal and my head gets quietly pushed against the headrest

Sponsored

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
So, just to be clear, manufacturers would state flywheel hp, no? If so, FCA claims 442 but OP's dyno run claims 495? Color me skeptical but if it truly did that much FCA would want to claim as much, wouldn't they?
I think it’s reasonable to assume some motors can put out more or less than others

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Just give it another day or two and it should come down to 300 lb-ft or so

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 3.0 Diesel on a Dyno @ 396 Wheel & 495 FT-LB CRANK TQ - Video attached 1605291997943

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I think it’s reasonable to assume some motors can put out more or less than others
Absolutely. If you dyno 100 Ecodiesels they will all vary, at least slightly. Issue is, FCA will advertise the power based on the highest reading engine of the bunch rather than the one most representing the average engine. To this day, I'm not sure that a Demon actually quartered in 9.6 seconds, but you can bet if it did, it's because FCA carefully chose that specific car. Conversely, German manufacturers tend to be slightly conservative if anything.

Who knows, you may have purchased the Ecodiesel version of that 9 second Demon. :)

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Over 50ft lbs on motors that are built identically? Eh maybe if you also factor in air density, altitude and fuel variations? Of course with a turbo altitude should be less of a factor?

I dunno, I'm not jealous and I understand your eagerness to believe numbers that make your JL look good on paper, but I'd still be a bit skeptical.

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Just give it another day or two and it should come down to 300 lb-ft or so

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 3.0 Diesel on a Dyno @ 396 Wheel & 495 FT-LB CRANK TQ - Video attached 1605291997943
I changed the title to reflect reality. More than once due to some whiners (like yourself apparently from your last comments)

Find another thread to troll
Sponsored

Reactions: D60