Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good morning,

It won't be "Live" in the sense I have a camera set up in here, but I will be doing a set of Rubicon 5.13 gears next weekend where I'm opening up my time to answer questions as I do the work. This will hopefully motivate more people to do their own gears as it's not a difficult job, but can be troublesome if not done correctly.

If you're curious about any step of the process, please ask questions here. I will update this OP with all questions received and provide answers, pictures, and short videos as I do the work.

I'm working on a set of JK gears right now, otherwise I'd be doing this today. I figured this will allow some time to put some good Q&A together for those curious, intrigued by the process, and those who are on the edge of taking on this task themselves.

Thank you.

1. How important is setting backlash within spec?
  2. What backlash spec/tolerance do you aim for to ensure gears don't whine and last a long time?
  3. Do you use the Yukon Clamshell puller?
  4. What are the most common mistakes made when doing a gear swap?
  5. What special tools are needed that the average (or advanced) DIY’er doesn’t already own?
  6. How to do a gear and axle swap (better components), while minimizing warranty impacts.
  7. I have heard the factory lockers in JLs can be tricky to setup when swapping gears and easy to screw up apparently. Any clear guidance on what to watch for and how to avoid any issues would be helpful?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Good morning,

It won't be "Live" in the sense I have a camera set up in here, but I will be doing a set of Rubicon 4.88 gears next weekend where I'm opening up my time to answer questions as I do the work. This will hopefully motivate more people to do their owns gears as it's not a difficult job, but can be troublesome if not done correctly.

If you're curious about any step of the process, please ask questions here. I will update the first post will all questions received and provide answers, pictures, and short videos as I do the work.

I'm working on a set of JK gears right now, otherwise I'd be doing this today. I figured this will allow some time to put some good Q&A together for those curious, intrigued by the process, and those who are on the edge of taking on this task themselves.

Thank you.
Awesome thread...How important is setting the backlash within spec? What backlash spec/tolerance do you aim for to ensure gears don't whine and last a long time?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Awesome thread...How important is setting the backlash within spec? What backlash spec/tolerance do you aim for to ensure gears don't whine and last a long time?
Added to list.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
How do you take the wheels off if you don’t have a key for your wheel lock?
Haha.... yes. The JK owner just drove 2 hours to bring me the right keyed socket for his wheels. I can begin surgery now. Please don't forget your socket if you have splined or keyed lugnuts. I do not own every splined socket possible. Lol

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
*BUMP*

The JL Rubi shows up tomorrow night and I'll be focusing on this Q&A while doing the gears on Saturday. Make sure to ask questions, especially if you're considering this job anytime soon. I'll run through and add my own Q&A's for must know items.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Haha.... yes. The JK owner just drove 2 hours to bring me the right keyed socket for his wheels. I can begin surgery now. Please don't forget your socket if you have splined or keyed lugnuts. I do not own every splined socket possible. Lol
My key is in the glove compartment so don’t worry ;). Just to clarify, we’re doing 5.13s #fastandfuriousjeep :LOL:.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
My key is in the glove compartment so don’t worry ;). Just to clarify, we’re doing 5.13s #fastandfuriousjeep :LOL:.
Awesome. Haha. Gonna need that. Your Jeep is the star of the show for these Q&A's.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is pretty darn cool of you to do for the Jeep community. :clap:

What are the most common mistakes made when doing a gear swap? What special tools are needed that the average (or advanced) DIY’er doesn’t already own?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This is pretty darn cool of you to do for the Jeep community. :clap:

What are the most common mistakes made when doing a gear swap? What special tools are needed that the average (or advanced) DIY’er doesn’t already own?
Added to the list.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6