Sponsored

Battery Charging message?

mppsu2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
A couple of days ago I got this message on my 2020 JL...15.7k miles.

Initially it flashed a ' service start/stop' message which went away quickly. Since then its read that message. When driving the dash indicates the battery is between 13.8-14.1 volts.

I read it could be the auxiliary battery causing the issue. I can't imagine the battery is dying already. Its only a year and a quarter old and is used normally (IE hasn't set long periods of time but also not driving hundreds of miles a day)

Any easy troubleshooting tips?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It’s very possible it’s the Aux or main crank battery, my main crank battery only lasted 7 months and was replaced under warranty, my suggestion is have the batteries load tested and more than likely will get replaced under warranty

OP
OP

mppsu2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Thanks.

do you know off hand if that would be covered by the warranty? I have the basic, didn't get extended or service contract. I know Mopar says 3 yrs/36k but not sure if this falls under the 1 yr/12k threshhold. i'm currently at 15 months and 15.7k miles.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@mppsu2003,

Also note that the EVIC Voltage display indicates alternator output voltage, not the instantaneous battery voltage. Typically, the alternator works harder (increases it's output voltage, hence charging current since by Ohm's Law current is proportional to voltage) whenever the battery becomes drained. With the introduction of the almost always 'connected in parallel' AUX battery, it's much more difficult to deduce battery health. Either battery going bad can further burden and reduce the overall capacity of the other.

The only reliable means to deduce battery health is to disconnect and load test both independently. This is hard (but not impossible) dynamically on the fly. Unfortunately, the JL does a very poor job at this because of dissimilar battery types, whereas third party products such as the Genesis Dual Battery system do remarkably better.

For your issue, having the EVIC consistently indicating high voltages, (anything over the nominal 12.4 to 12.6 resting battery voltage) indicates your Engine Controller believes your battery(ies) need constant charging. This is a very good but subtle indication that yes you may indeed have at least one weak battery.

Jay

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yes
Thanks.

do you know off hand if that would be covered by the warranty? I have the basic, didn't get extended or service contract. I know Mopar says 3 yrs/36k but not sure if this falls under the 1 yr/12k threshhold. i'm currently at 15 months and 15.7k miles.
covered under warrenty. all mopar batterys have the 3 year 36K warranty
Sponsored