OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 high altitude diesel, Gallardo SL, Model X performance, Range Rover td6
Waited for a couple years for the diesel and SO HAPPY we did! Test drove the 3.6, 2.0T, and 3.0 back to back in May before finally agreeing to give up my manual. The $6k upcharge is a hard pill to swallow, but if you're already considering the 2.0 you can take $1500 for the auto out of that. Also, if you're thinking about motor swaps already (I'm guessing the 6.4 or similar), go diesel.

The diesel does add heft, but the mpg is still better, and the torque is intoxicating. From inside you can't really tell it is a diesel once you're moving. But when the doors and/or top are off, the diesel clatter/grumble at low speeds makes me giggle.

I wouldn't get hopes up for a tuner. GDE was the big name in tuning this engine but they were fined by EPA last year and now only offer the tunes for our northern neighbors. The other smaller tuners seemed to take the hint and go dark for diesel tuning as well.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. There is a recommended dealers list thread in the Ordering pages. I ordered mine from out of state (Idaho) but got ~7% under invoice with Tread Lightly and dealer financing discounts.
I’m going with ordering a diesel! About 7% behind invoice but a $899 doc fee...hopefully the zero % interest will still be available when it’s delivered.
Any suggestions on other performance upgrades while we wait for a tune?
Sponsored

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
on pricing here around nyc no dealers seem interested in discounting..
true that most dealerships in ny areas have no interest in discounts. however some ny / nj dealers will give you better than 1%. i'm surprise that a factory ordered jl didnt net you a better discount, where most dealers are willing to order and discount it up to 8%.

as for your poll. i rather have the 3.6. mate it to the 8 spd auto = a great combo. thats my .02. you might want to look at the 2.0 and diesel post on this forum and see what being said on the 2 motors.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I've got the 2.0 and love it. Next time I'll probably try the diesel. I wish they offered the manual in all of them.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
It depends on the required use. I bought a 2.0 for a variety of reasons, but chief among them are availability of fuel and efficient power in a non towing package.

If I was towing something large like an adventure camper, or was going to be using the Jeep where max torque is required in areas where diesel is readily available, I'd definitely have considered the diesel. The 2.0 is an amazing powerplant for non-towing applications, in high elevations, and for a user to wants maximum gas options. Not all small town stations have diesel. Obviously anything near an interstate does, but it's nice to just know there's something my vehicle will run on at literally every station I might come across wandering.

If I was going international and sending the Jeep to another country for a tour, the diesel might have pulled more weight...no pun intended.

OP
OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
true that most dealerships in ny areas have no interest in discounts. however some ny / nj dealers will give you better than 1%. i'm surprise that a factory ordered jl didnt net you a better discount, where most dealers are willing to order and discount it up to 8%.

as for your poll. i rather have the 3.6. mate it to the 8 spd auto = a great combo. thats my .02. you might want to look at the 2.0 and diesel post on this forum and see what being said on the 2 motors.
Thanks for your input. I personally liked the 2.0t vs the 3.6 but the 3.0 diesel by numbers sounds more for me. Current daily is a diesel Range Rover and occasionally my wife’s Tesla model x performance ( I like torque)

Any dealers you suggest?

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Any dealers you suggest?
criswell jeeps in ganthersburg md. is one dealer that some members have either gotten there jl off the lot or ordered. yeah it about 4 hours away. they offer big discounts. checkout there website and see the prices. fitzgeralds jeep in ct is another one that folks here gotten good deals. this is based on what was mentioned on here,

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I ended up with the 2.0 over the diesel. Price was less of a concern than having potential issues with all of the emissions systems on the diesel. Hopefully that’s no longer much of an issue...

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
I love my 3.0. Averaging over 29 mpg as of recent too. And it’s so fun to drive. Long as you’re good with paying the 4K for engine upgrade, do it!!

OP
OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my 3.0. Averaging over 29 mpg as of recent too. And it’s so fun to drive. Long as you’re good with paying the 4K for engine upgrade, do it!!
Definitely moving forward on an order- high altitude with one touch roof, cold weather and the 3.0 diesel, any performance upgrades you suggest?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
I’m waiting on the CAÍ from Afe. Was told January. And supposedly a flashpaq would be getting worked on once superchips is done with their 2.0. Didn’t have an ETA for that.

Sponsored

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
15K miles on my 3.0, love driving it and have had no issues. Plenty of power and gets 23 mpg at 75 mph.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Jeep offers engine options for a reason, jeeps are thee most versatile vehicle in the world so one engine type is not good for everybody and none of them are singled out as "the best". Each power plant is built well and dependable with it's own pros and cons its up to you to decide which one is the right for you.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely moving forward on an order- high altitude with one touch roof, cold weather and the 3.0 diesel, any performance upgrades you suggest?
A lubricant additive to replace the much needed sulfur that the epa was nice enough to remove from the fuel.

I would highly recommend reading more related threads, with the understanding that most posts are from those with minimal diesel experience. It'll take some combing to see that those who do, are running gas engines for good reasons.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Went to trade my 14 Altitude on a new Rubicon. I drove the 3.6 with the 8 spd auto, and liked it much more than my old 5 spd. I was surprised they had a diesel Rubi, so I drove it before I had the chance to drive the 2.0. So impressed with the torque, I signed up that day. Never did drive the 2.0, but don't think it would have changed my decision.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m thinking there will shortly be a tune available for this that would bring the hp to about 300.
I chose the high altitude because it will mostly be an extra car for my family with light beach driving in the off season and maybe a handful of trail rides. Am I making a mistake not going rubicon?

thanks for the input, looking forward to be joining the JL community.
I'm really impressed with this 2.0T motor so far. I have the tune from SuperChips and love it! Huge drivability difference. I don't know what the final peak hp/tq numbers are, but I don't care about those. Down in the lower rpms the increase is really noticeable. They just released a youtube video for it. According to the video, at 3000rpm they picked up 60hp and 90 torque on one of their jeeps. It feels like it.
As far as rubi vs high altitude, it sounds like the sahara will me fine for what you're doing. More street manners and better street handling with the bigger rims and lower profile tires vs 33" tire on a 17" rim with the rubi. If you plan on lifting or putting taller tires on it, you may want to consider the rubi since it comes with 4.10 gears which will make the jeep feel peppier even with a larger tire. I think the sahara has 3.45. Steering shouldn't be an issue with either as the 21s should come with the new steering box.
Sponsored