• Total voters

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 high altitude diesel, Gallardo SL, Model X performance, Range Rover td6
I put a deposit down on an incoming 21 high altitude with the 2.0L turbo engine. I really wanted the 3.0 diesel but I couldn’t find anywhere in the tri-state area that had one to drive.
Originally the dealer said it was shipping by November 5th and would be here any day. After reading more on orders it sounds that date is when it will go into production and it could be a month + out. (As of yesterday they said they had no idea when it would arrive until it gets there)
Does anyone have experience with this engine? I’m not looking to tow but I’m on my second diesel Rover and loving it. I’m thinking there will shortly be a tune available for this that would bring the hp to about 300.

on pricing here around nyc no dealers seem interested in discounting..the best I was able to do was the 1% back of invoice affiliate pricing that a couple dealerships wouldn’t honor on a high altitude, if I place an order, I’d order from an out of state dealer that’s doing stronger discounts on orders. Any suggestions on a target?

I chose the high altitude because it will mostly be an extra car for my family with light beach driving in the off season and maybe a handful of trail rides. Am I making a mistake not going rubicon?

for the high altitude doing it in white, one touch roof, and cold weather. Will tint the windows, swap antenna with a bullet, and do an led light bar for now. I’m sure once it gets here there will be more mods to come as it’s been an addiction for too long. I don’t even have it and have already been reading engine swaps.

thanks for the input, looking forward to be joining the JL community.
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I have the 2.0L & love it but if a guy wants a diesel he ought to be patient & get what he wants.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Your poll needs more options. At the very least a “None of the Above” category. As it is, it forces too many members to provide an unrealistic answer.

BTW, you are just as likely to get the answer you seek on here by simply flipping a coin.

Good luck on your decision.

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the 2.0L before driving the 3.0L. Huge mistake. I handed the keys back to the salesperson and said I'll be back if I can get my deposit back on the 2.0L that I ordered. The diesel is worth every penny in my opinion. Every penny and not for a second have I second guessed myself. I get excited to drive my D-pusher every day I wake up.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I didn't drive the 3.0 and don't have experience with it, so tough to really comment.

The only real comparison I did in my buying was between the 2.0 and 3.6. I liked the way the 2.0 handled and liked that it was $1,500 with the automatic transmission I was getting so my decision was pretty easy.

I think the most important thing on these Jeeps is to just go with what you really want and with what fits your needs, desires, usage and budget. I mean, you'll have some people feel one thing as absolutely necessary and others that say they have no use for it.

It's a lot of money either way and to me Jeeps are "fun" vehicles that should make you happy to drive. So get what will make you happy ;)

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm constantly back and forth on it on a daily basis. I actually really love the 2.0, but I wouldn't mind having the increased range. It's a decent price jump though.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Waited for a couple years for the diesel and SO HAPPY we did! Test drove the 3.6, 2.0T, and 3.0 back to back in May before finally agreeing to give up my manual. The $6k upcharge is a hard pill to swallow, but if you're already considering the 2.0 you can take $1500 for the auto out of that. Also, if you're thinking about motor swaps already (I'm guessing the 6.4 or similar), go diesel.

The diesel does add heft, but the mpg is still better, and the torque is intoxicating. From inside you can't really tell it is a diesel once you're moving. But when the doors and/or top are off, the diesel clatter/grumble at low speeds makes me giggle.

I wouldn't get hopes up for a tuner. GDE was the big name in tuning this engine but they were fined by EPA last year and now only offer the tunes for our northern neighbors. The other smaller tuners seemed to take the hint and go dark for diesel tuning as well.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. There is a recommended dealers list thread in the Ordering pages. I ordered mine from out of state (Idaho) but got ~7% under invoice with Tread Lightly and dealer financing discounts.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Waited for a couple years for the diesel and SO HAPPY we did! Test drove the 3.6, 2.0T, and 3.0 back to back in May before finally agreeing to give up my manual. The $6k upcharge is a hard pill to swallow, but if you're already considering the 2.0 you can take $1500 for the auto out of that. Also, if you're thinking about motor swaps already (I'm guessing the 6.4 or similar), go diesel.

The diesel does add heft, but the mpg is still better, and the torque is intoxicating. From inside you can't really tell it is a diesel once you're moving. But when the doors and/or top are off, the diesel clatter/grumble at low speeds makes me giggle.

I wouldn't get hopes up for a tuner. GDE was the big name in tuning this engine but they were fined by EPA last year and now only offer the tunes for our northern neighbors. The other smaller tuners seemed to take the hint and go dark for diesel tuning as well.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. There is a recommended dealers list thread in the Ordering pages. I ordered mine from out of state (Idaho) but got ~7% under invoice with Tread Lightly and dealer financing discounts.
The nation wide "rolling coal" crowd has ruined tuning and emissions bypasses for diesels. Some states are now expanding DOT checkpoints to also pull smaller diesel powered vehicles in for random inspections, along with the 10 and 18 wheelers.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The nation wide "rolling coal" crowd has ruined tuning and emissions bypasses for diesels.
Yes, yes they did. Assholes are the reason we can't have nice things. I was within a month of ordering the GDE tune for my WK2 when they stopped sales in the US and started pushing de-tuned ECUs back to customers (I believe part of their settlement).

Where have you seen the smaller diesel inspections? I have heard rumors of rolling coal trucks getting pulled over here and being fined, but only rumors so far. UT state and EPA did come down on the Diesel Bros earlier this year for blatant emissions bypasses. I've been intrigued by their builds and even see several of them regularly, but the rolling coal thing drives me nuts.

Salt Lake Valley (well most of northern Utah now) has some really bad air quality for much of the year. I really don't get the appeal of rolling coal and putting all that extra crap into the air. Even if you don't believe in climate change, you have to think that dark black crap coming out of your tailpipe can't be good for your community.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, yes they did. Assholes are the reason we can't have nice things. I was within a month of ordering the GDE tune for my WK2 when they stopped sales in the US and started pushing de-tuned ECUs back to customers (I believe part of their settlement).

Where have you seen the smaller diesel inspections? I have heard rumors of rolling coal trucks getting pulled over here and being fined, but only rumors so far. UT state and EPA did come down on the Diesel Bros earlier this year for blatant emissions bypasses. I've been intrigued by their builds and even see several of them regularly, but the rolling coal thing drives me nuts.

Salt Lake Valley (well most of northern Utah now) has some really bad air quality for much of the year. I really don't get the appeal of rolling coal and putting all that extra crap into the air. Even if you don't believe in climate change, you have to think that dark black crap coming out of your tailpipe can't be good for your community.
I haven't personally seen it, but I spent most of my life in diesel repair and still have a finger on the pulse of what's going on in the industry. It will be a two-fold weeding out process. Random roadside inspections by DOT certified officers, and stricter inspection station practices that will fail a vehicle with tampered emissions components and report that to the state DMV.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

GDE is 3-4 months out on a tune for the US

of all the engines available today in the JL, the diesel is far and away my favorite, especially once big tires are added

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
I test drove the 2L back in 2018 and went for the V6. I didn't like the noise the 2L made. I've just swapped my V6 for a Diesel and LOVE it. I say get the Diesel. The noise is super cool and the torque is fantastic. Well worth the extra price IMO.
Definitely do the 1 touch, it's excellent. Cold weather is a must too. That steering wheel gets toasty! It's the best in winter.

Good luck finding a deal!

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon ecoDiesel
The EcoDiesel on the trail is superb, it excels beyond any other power plant that is offered. I have had the EcoDiesel on the trail 4 times in the 4 months that I have owned it and it is awesome. This is my third jeep and this is the most fun to drive. The control on the trail that the torque provides is so methodical and deliberate it makes the trail so much more enjoyable.

OP
OP

Superl570

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 high altitude diesel, Gallardo SL, Model X performance, Range Rover td6
Thanks for your thoughts. Seems to be enough guys that LOVE the diesel to push me over the fence. I contacted a few of the suggested dealers and Craig at Koons already gave me a price that will basically cover the difference in price for the 2.0 from my local dealer. Fingers crossed a tune happens!

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
GDE is 3-4 months out on a tune for the US
Holy shneikies! GDE tuned ECU for the WK2 doubled in price since last year! Guess that's how they're going to pay the EPA and CARB fines?
Sponsored