Need audio advice

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
I have an 8.5” head unit but no amps or sub. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to buy the ORM amps, sub and speakers someone removed and upgraded from and simply install in my JL? If so, what are the parts? Any watch outs?

Thx for any help!
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have an 8.5” head unit but no amps or sub. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to buy the ORM amps, sub and speakers someone removed and upgraded from and simply install in my JL? If so, what are the parts? Any watch outs?

Thx for any help!
Advice would be don't do it. Buy aftermarket and enjoy better sound. I have the Alpine system, lame compared to the JL Audio goodies I had in my truck.

OP
OP
rubited19

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
Advice would be don't do it. Buy aftermarket and enjoy better sound. I have the Alpine system, lame compared to the JL Audio goodies I had in my truck.
My goal is better sound than what I have and not spend over about $500ish. I would assume going aftermarket would be well over $1500 for a full system from what I see. Or can I buy JL audio sub and amps that will plug and play with my 8.5 head unit?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My goal is better sound than what I have and not spend over about $500ish. I would assume going aftermarket would be well over $1500 for a full system from what I see. Or can I buy JL audio sub and amps that will plug and play with my 8.5 head unit?
I have to agree with @RedundanT. If you're going to upgrade, avoid upgrading to the stock version of upgraded gear. For $500 (or so), you can buy a powered sub (checkout JL Audio and Alpine), run a power line to the battery and a remote wire, then ground the amp.

You can tap into the stock stereo's audio signal at the base of the passenger side b-pillar behind the front passenger seat (twisted pair wires).

Good luck!
Sponsored