Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
One last question before I get into the upgrade, can I use channel 5 & 6 on the PAC to feed a powered subwoofer?
Absolutely, just know that it isn't affected by the radio's fader controls.
Sponsored

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Anyone have any more advice on drivers side kick panel pod? I followed all the steps in post one and still can't get it to come out.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
@Sting_NC_USA
Which way am I looking to rotate the pod out? Can't seem to get around the dash frame without using a lot of force. If only drivers side was as easy as passenger side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) PXL_20201106_182410233.NIGHT

Sponsored

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
@Sting_NC_USA
Which way am I looking to rotate the pod out? Can't seem to get around the dash frame without using a lot of force. If only drivers side was as easy as passenger side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) PXL_20201106_182410233.NIGHT
Nevermind, took a little more force than I was willing to begin with. All speakers replaced and Pac and amp come next. Thank you for the great write up on replacing the kick panel speakers.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
If I am currently using the lighter on dash for remote switch on powered subwoofer, can I also tie in and use it for an amp?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If I am currently using the lighter on dash for remote switch on powered subwoofer, can I also tie in and use it for an amp?
Yes! Those devices are only using that signal to trigger the amp to turn on, so there's no significant drain of any type.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
In each corner of your Jeep, the stock wires are simply split and then run to each mid-range and tweeter. It shouldn't matter that you didn't use the tweeter specific wires, as long as they aren't shorting out on anything.

Best guess is you would simply need to add the resistors, right before the signal enters each speaker. That alone should take care of the amp not turning on any particular channel.

My only concern would be how efficient your 6.5's are, and whether the Alpine has enough power to push them. Haven't seen the stats, but the Infinity speakers are usually pretty tolerant for lower wattage. Please share how the speaker-only upgrade goes/went.

Best of luck with your install!
Hi,

I have already done a system update using your process but went with new speaker wires.

I am now helping a buddy do a more modest upgrade in a 8.4/Alpine model.

You mention the speaker wires are "split" in each corner.

I take that to mean out of the amp to the front passenger corner, and then split to the knee and dash speaker. I assume this is in parallel?

I ask as he would like to go with 2 way components up front with the 6.5 in the knee, and the tweeter in the dash, using the provided cross over. So I take it I can simply cap off one of the two speakers connections, and attach the other to the input of the cross over and that to the two component speakers? This assumes the cross over appears as a 4 ohm load.

Thanks fo the help - this is a fantastic thread.

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Hi,

I have already done a system update using your process but went with new speaker wires.

I am now helping a buddy do a more modest upgrade in a 8.4/Alpine model.

You mention the speaker wires are "split" in each corner.

I take that to mean out of the amp to the front passenger corner, and then split to the knee and dash speaker. I assume this is in parallel?

I ask as he would like to go with 2 way components up front with the 6.5 in the knee, and the tweeter in the dash, using the provided cross over. So I take it I can simply cap off one of the two speakers connections, and attach the other to the input of the cross over and that to the two component speakers? This assumes the cross over appears as a 4 ohm load.

Thanks fo the help - this is a fantastic thread.
If you have an amplifier the wires to each individual speaker come straight from the amp. They aren't split. The wiring diagram in the manual shows the knee speakers as woofers and the top dash
are separate. Same with the sound bar

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you have an amplifier the wires to each individual speaker come straight from the amp. They aren't split. The wiring diagram in the manual shows the knee speakers as woofers and the top dash
are separate. Same with the sound bar
Thanks, so 8 outputs total - so in essence a 8 channel amp?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That's how the factory wiring manual shows with amp
If we want to use speakers with included cross overs do we just leave the extra wires disconnected and the other channel gets the power? Or should we try to use all connectors to get the most out of the factory amp?

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
If we want to use speakers with included cross overs do we just leave the extra wires disconnected and the other channel gets the power? Or should we try to use all connectors to get the most out of the factory amp?
If you don't use a channel i doubt it will transfer to another channel. Also I believe the factory amps are rated near 2 ohm so you will probably lose some wattage with aftermarket stuff. Probably best to write off the factory amp and get a good aftermarket amp to replace it. My JL didn't have a factory amp so I never tried playing with one. Sting has been very insightful on here he might have some better advise but I have seen them recommend replacement also

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you don't use a channel i doubt it will transfer to another channel. Also I believe the factory amps are rated near 2 ohm so you will probably lose some wattage with aftermarket stuff. Probably best to write off the factory amp and get a good aftermarket amp to replace it. My JL didn't have a factory amp so I never tried playing with one. Sting has been very insightful on here he might have some better advise but I have seen them recommend replacement also
Thanks - so the budget grows ;)

The issue with an aftermarket amp is it means also a connection interface and probably would do the DSR1 today (was not available then I did mine)

Then an amp

Then wiring to the 4 "corners"

So it quickly becomes a $2K project instead of "A few hundred" for better speakers.

But that's how these things usually go ;)
Sponsored