8.4” Uconnect Upgrade

akm313

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
I decided to upgrade the 7 inch radio in my 2021 Willys Unlimited. Does anyone know if the 18-20 8.4” Uconnect will work? I can’t find the part # for the 2021 model to see if the part numbers match. Can anyone help me with this? I called the dealer and they didn’t even know and said those radios are out of stock.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it can be done. You need the radio, bezel, 4-digit unlock code (if purchased from another vehicle), and about 10 minutes to do the swap. It will take a few power cycles for the radio to learn your Jeep's features and update accordingly.

OP
OP
akm313

akm313

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Yes it can be done. You need the radio, bezel, 4-digit unlock code (if purchased from another vehicle), and about 10 minutes to do the swap. It will take a few power cycles for the radio to learn your Jeep's features and update accordingly.
Thank you for the fast response. Are you sure it’ll fully function with a few power cycles. I read on infotainment that I need to take it to the dealer so it can learn my vin and the features I have.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I just did it a couple weeks ago and didn't need to take it to the dealer. May be that's the case with brand new ones but I got one out of another vehicle with 4 digit unlock code and it's been perfect.

OP
OP
akm313

akm313

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
I just did it a couple weeks ago and didn't need to take it to the dealer. May be that's the case with brand new ones but I got one out of another vehicle with 4 digit unlock code and it's been perfect.
Did you have to get a GPS antenna for the navi to work?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Thank you for the fast response. Are you sure it’ll fully function with a few power cycles. I read on infotainment that I need to take it to the dealer so it can learn my vin and the features I have.
It doesn't require any intervention from a dealership. You'll give them your VIN and they'll flash the appropriate software to the device before sending it to you.

I just went through a rollercoaster with Infotainment myself. I already had an 8.4 unit, but it had a hardware issue and subsequently ate shit during an update that bricked it. Now, I don't know WTF happened, but when I sent it to them for repair, they claimed USPS lost the package. About a week later, they found it. They had it for a couple weeks and sent it back with a new screen, but an incorrect mounting bracket. I don't know why my screen was replaced when there was nothing wrong with it. I returned it and they sent it back again with the correct bracket, but incorrect software (Canadian version) that was causing it to crash after start up. They claimed that was the only version of UConnect they could flash to my radio because the motherboard "didn't match the serial number of the unit." I returned it again and they ended up sending me an entirely new radio.

I'm not discouraging using them, but as far as their repair process is concerned, I have a feeling someone over there may have accidentally broken it (dropped it or scratched the display or something) when they got their hands on it and tried to cover it up. I can't prove that, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with my display that required replacement and I'm not in the habit of swapping out UConnect motherboards out of boredom.

So, despite all of that nonsense, the new radio worked right out of the box. I simply plugged it in and it learned my Jeep after a couple of starts.

Did you have to get a GPS antenna for the navi to work?
No. The 8.4 UConnect actually uses its built-in 4G aircard to establish GPS position for navigation. Unfortunately, a lot of the UConnect radios manufactured in 2017 are known for the aircard dying. This will result in the radio no longer getting GPS data, rendering the navigation useless. This doesn't appear to be an issue with newer radios, but only time will tell. My replacement radio was manufactured in 2019, so it's almost new.
Sponsored