Sponsored

Sahara Unlimited or Rubicon Unlimited

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
This is fundamentally the reason we got the Rubicon. Getting out of stuck situations requiring traction to all 4 wheels at the same time. The key often has simply been engaging all the lockers and using chains when on very slick surfaces. The rest of the time on-road the base 4Hi with BLD has provided plenty enough road traction. Really the primary concern for us is stopping - not going in winter conditions.

If you plan to go off-road and use the capabilities built into the Rubicon get that. If not get another model better suited for your uses. There are plenty of real world use vids showing the benefits of open - BLD - LSD - and lockers. As noted many times 4Hi with OEM BFGs provide a crazy amount of winter traction right out of the box. The proven Rubicon locked axles just afford a decent get out of jail card when needed.

We go on snow and ice covered roads a ton - and for that have never been close to being stuck in just 4Hi. Only off-road - is max traction required for us - or blasting through iced up slush drifts. Basically just get the model that makes you feel the happiest with no regrets.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Sahara is a better on road (even VERY bad road), the Rubi is arguably one of the most competent extreme off road vehicles on the planet. As such, it is WAY overkill for 99% of folks (just like the Porsche noted above). For pretty well everybody the Sahara (or Sport with limited slip) is more than capable enough to take you wherever you want to go. The final drive ratio will give you better mpg’s than a Rubicon. Drive them both and buy what suits YOU best. For me the Rubi is overkill.

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
I wanted the selec trac and lsd so am ordering a Sahara. Purely for snow, it will be better than the Rubicon.

The Rubicon is no doubt better off-road but I need a great snow daily driver not an off-roader

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I wanted the selec trac and lsd so am ordering a Sahara. Purely for snow, it will be better than the Rubicon.

The Rubicon is no doubt better off-road but I need a great snow daily driver not an off-roader
FWIW, Selec trac is now available on all trim levels.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, Selec trac is now available on all trim levels.
Correct. But you still get an open rear differential on Rubicon, with a locker of course.
Sponsored