Sponsored

Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
This thread made my install super easy. Probably easiest spring swap I’ve ever done on a vehicle. Start to finish in my garage was 1 1/2 hrs using an impact.
My Rubicon springs are the 90/91 & 59/60 part numbers. I installed them on my 2020 JLU Willys that already has the Rubicon shocks. I am running the Rubicon stubby front bumper without a winch.

Stock measurements:

DF: 36 1/4
PF: 36”
DR: 36 3/4”
PR: 36 1/2”

Rubicon Springs:

DF: 37 1/4”
PF: 37”
DR: 38”
PR: 38”

I didn’t do any spacers since I’ll be towing a small camper. Fuel is at 3/4 so maybe that’s why the drivers side is higher?
Test drive was just as stock. I get my 285/75/17 Toyo AT3’s installed this week so that will add another 1” height. Rubicon fenders go on when I receive the chop lights.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This thread made my install super easy. Probably easiest spring swap I’ve ever done on a vehicle. Start to finish in my garage was 1 1/2 hrs using an impact.
My Rubicon springs are the 90/91 & 59/60 part numbers. I installed them on my 2020 JLU Willys that already has the Rubicon shocks. I am running the Rubicon stubby front bumper without a winch.

Stock measurements:

Rubicon Springs:

I didn’t do any spacers since I’ll be towing a small camper. Fuel is at 3/4 so maybe that’s why the drivers side is higher?
Test drive was just as stock. I get my 285/75/17 Toyo AT3’s installed this week so that will add another 1” height. Rubicon fenders go on when I receive the chop lights.
Nice!
Look forward to pics w/ those new shoes :)
Should look killer w/ the chopped Rubis too!
Do you plan on the longer LCAs?

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Nice!
Look forward to pics w/ those new shoes :)
Should look killer w/ the chopped Rubis too!
Do you plan on the longer LCAs?
Thanks. I didn’t plan of the longer LCAs since I only did the Rubicon springs. It drives the same as the stock Willys setup did. I’ve already had the steering box TSB done.

are the longer arms needed with only these spring swap?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I didn’t plan of the longer LCAs since I only did the Rubicon springs. It drives the same as the stock Willys setup did. I’ve already had the steering box TSB done.

are the longer arms needed with only these spring swap?
I wouldn't say needed, but will help keep the Jeep on track at higher speeds.
I'm glad I got them, that extra 1.5 degrees of caster seems to be the happy place for these JLs.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Stock measurements:

Rubicon Springs:

Excellent! I just ordered my springs and LCA's from Mopar and should be coming in a few days. Having the Willy's is great since they have the Rubicon shocks installed from the factory.

Quick question, can you just use a spring compressor (while supporting the body of the JL) to remove the OEM springs and then use the same spring compressor to install the Rubicon springs?

Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent! I just ordered my springs and LCA's from Mopar and should be coming in a few days. Having the Willy's is great since they have the Rubicon shocks installed from the factory.

Quick question, can you just use a spring compressor (while supporting the body of the JL) to remove the OEM springs and then use the same spring compressor to install the Rubicon springs?
no spring compressor needed. Put the body/frame up on tall jack stands, let the axles droop (disconnect the sway bar links)

you may have to bounce the axles down a bit to get the springs out.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

no spring compressor needed. Put the body/frame up on tall jack stands, let the axles droop (disconnect the sway bar links)

you may have to bounce the axles down a bit to get the springs out.
Awesome, I have such awful memories of the last two lifts I did on my YJ and TJ that I am looking for the easiest way to get this done. I'll post a photo of before and after when I get everything completed.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Awesome, I have such awful memories of the last two lifts I did on my YJ and TJ that I am looking for the easiest way to get this done. I'll post a photo of before and after when I get everything completed.
It's not a bad job at all, especially if you've installed lifts previously. As mentioned, simply disconnecting the swaybar links and brake line bracket where it's mounted to the frame up front (IIRC) and lower shock bolts will give you the space you need to drop the springs out. I took the driver side ones out first; since the passenger side ones are slightly taller you can put a jack under the driver side once the spring is out to allow the axle to articulate easier and the passenger side springs will come out.

Good luck!

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a bad job at all, especially if you've installed lifts previously. As mentioned, simply disconnecting the swaybar links and brake line bracket where it's mounted to the frame up front (IIRC) and lower shock bolts will give you the space you need to drop the springs out. I took the driver side ones out first; since the passenger side ones are slightly taller you can put a jack under the driver side once the spring is out to allow the axle to articulate easier and the passenger side springs will come out.

Good luck!
yes I did not mention the brake lines or the lower shock bolts. Pull those. Leave the lower control arms attached. Order the longer mopar ones though. They’ll fix your steering.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep, like the above posters mentioned it's pretty easy, just follow the DIY I posted and if you need more room to release the spring keep one side up w/ an extra jack and lower the opposite side to get even more room.

Sponsored

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Once on stands all I did is remove the lower shock bolts and lower swaybar link bolts. I also removed the nut holding the brackets for the brake lines.
Keep the floor jack under the axle so as not to lower it too much cause it will pull on the e brake cables too much.
The front is pretty much the same process.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

yes I did not mention the brake lines or the lower shock bolts. Pull those. Leave the lower control arms attached. Order the longer mopar ones though. They’ll fix your steering.
Excellent, LCA's ordered!

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My spring set was 90/91 and 59/61 so almost the same.

Since you also have a 2dr you should be fine. I also added a stubby front bumper and winch for a net 190 lb gain, I only dropped a 1/2", you should expect similar results.

Here's bone stock, then 295/70 tires, then a Rubicon suspension swap, and finally w/ the stubby bumper/winch added.

100_4015.JPG

100_4023.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
I just wanted to say how helpful this thread has been to my build and how awesome the Jeep community is in general! My buddy and I just installed the rubicon takeoff suspension with 3/4 inch Fishbone spacers all around and 1/2 Teraflex spacer in the front. ROKY is the man! He opened up his garage and almost an entire Saturday to me and my rig to teach and help me install the lift. Oh and I added LCAs which imho really helped with the wandering.

I may add a little bit more in the front because the springs I bought were high in the back and now the back sits about a half inch too high. Roky told me not to put the spacers in the back but I was thirsty for some more lift. Anyway thanks to everyone who commented and did the research in coil numbers etc. really saved me a lot of time and money. I also learned so much about suspensions and Jeeps.

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to say how helpful this thread has been to my build and how awesome the Jeep community is in general! My buddy and I just installed the rubicon takeoff suspension with 3/4 inch Fishbone spacers all around and 1/2 Teraflex spacer in the front. ROKY is the man! He opened up his garage and almost an entire Saturday to me and my rig to teach and help me install the lift. Oh and I added LCAs which imho really helped with the wandering.

I may add a little bit more in the front because the springs I bought were high in the back and now the back sits about a half inch too high. Roky told me not to put the spacers in the back but I was thirsty for some more lift. Anyway thanks to everyone who commented and did the research in coil numbers etc. really saved me a lot of time and money. I also learned so much about suspensions and Jeeps.
The first pics are after adding the rubicon suspension and spacers and the final three pics are before the upgrade.

E1C0AEB6-6A67-48E8-A48B-75A765733A27.jpeg

A8F503B6-995D-4A26-9B7E-A54E6C8DC76F.jpeg

D3034EF8-8300-4C20-8D9A-522A8590219B.jpeg

27BCBF12-15C0-417C-93B5-CD6B07F99977.jpeg

243C78BD-49A1-4FD9-8367-E411DEBF9D4C.jpeg

61F4BDE2-E794-4845-B9F6-319CA82A1246.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The first pics are after adding the rubicon suspension and spacers and the final three pics are before the upgrade.

E1C0AEB6-6A67-48E8-A48B-75A765733A27.jpeg
Nice rig!
Glad you found the thread helpful and awesome help @Roky provided, superb Jeeper there!
Sponsored