Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I took my Jeep in for oil change and tire rotation last week (yep, they did ev correctly) and asked about the TSB. My service advisor knew what I was talking about (didn’t need the printed TSB) and set an appointment for this morning.

They did their diagnostic check and drove it for six miles. I got a call after a few hours that the parts are ordered.

The only driving-related mod I have are MC LCAs. My Jeep steers pretty good for an AE box (a whole lot better than my ‘19 that was bought back). I didn’t get any grief at all about the TSB.
Sponsored

22Mag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Willy's
I had the TSB repair completed today, it took about 3 hours at the dealership. The vehicle drives and handles excellent, steering wheel is straight and it doesn't wander anymore. I couldn't be more happy as they have solved my steering issues. I had the tires rotated and oil changed while I was there. Savage 61 jeep did an excellent job, thank you.

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Had the TSB performed last week. The dead spot is WORSE now, but the jeep does seem to track straighter on the highway. Hopefully the deadspot works itself out after some use.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got the Jeep back from having the TSB done. Wow! So much better, made it worth the fight. I do have one random issue now though, every time I come to a stop my outside temperature spikes? Anyone see anything like this before? LOL

20201029_115232.jpg
This is certainly unusual, @Stumeat! We recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer in order to diagnose the source of this occurrence.

On my last two long trips (>3000 miles), the wandering has been REALLY bad which tends to substantiate the thought as the system heats up the wandering gets worse.

Made it out to the dealer today and he ordered the TSB parts to replace my steering box. I also have two recalls to complete--front seat belt retractor and upgrade the camera software.

I also wanted to have my rear window defogger repaired (wire detached), but the service writer stated that FCA does not cover that. @JeepCares - is that correct? I am still well within my standard warranty and I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage max care warranty.

Please advise.
Hello @CarbonSteel
Please send our team a private message prior to your dealer appointment. We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf in order to address your defroster concern during your service.

Turns out my replacement box may have issues. The notchy steering has been isolated to the box. I’m waiting for the replacement. Let’s see how it goes
We are sincerely sorry to hear about the outcome of your TSB service, @Geekjeep. Please continue to update us on the outcome of your dealer service, and let us know if we may offer any additional support.

Had the TSB performed last week. The dead spot is WORSE now, but the jeep does seem to track straighter on the highway. Hopefully the deadspot works itself out after some use.
Hello @Poromenos
We certainly share your concerns here. We recommend returning to your dealer for further assessment of your steering. Please send us a private message for further assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
mine got better .. i suspect there was some air in the power steering lines.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just got the Jeep back from having the TSB done. Wow! So much better, made it worth the fight. I do have one random issue now though, every time I come to a stop my outside temperature spikes? Anyone see anything like this before? LOL

20201029_115232.jpg
They most likely bumped the sensor and it got removed from its clip or something and is now dangling somewhere where it might touch hot components and heat up, etc

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I‘ve been waiting since August to have my local dealer perform this fix. JeepCares hasn’t been able to expedite anything for me and I asked them to step in on September 4th. No clue how people are getting this done next day...

I scheduled a service appointment to have this done just days after the TSB was published. The dealer keeps on saying that I’m a couple down the list. I bet they’re just letting people who bought their Jeep from them cut me in line. It’s absolutely unacceptable to be waiting this long for a safety fix that will inevitably be a recall once the NHTSA gets involved.

Last edited:

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I finally got around to stopping by my dealership yesterday to bring up my steering issue. It drives straight when I hold the steering wheel straight but it has a very small pull to the right. Small enough I'm worried the dealer may not be able to 'recreate' the issue. The steering wheel will only drift to the right a few degrees then stop but I have to constantly apply pressure to the left.

Up to this point I wasn't really worried about the pull to the right because it is small, but when I was crawling around under the Jeep installing my rock lights, I noticed the input shaft seal on my steering box was seeping. And it's been seeping for a while because my steering fluid is right at the minimum mark on the bottle.

I'm hoping that the leak in my steering box will be enough to get them to replace it and to throw in the new steering box. I wouldn't think they would try and throw new orings or seals in the existing aluminum box but I have seen crazier things before.

20201103_201312.jpg

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I finally got around to stopping by my dealership yesterday to bring up my steering issue. It drives straight when I hold the steering wheel straight but it has a very small pull to the right. Small enough I'm worried the dealer may not be able to 'recreate' the issue. The steering wheel will only drift to the right a few degrees then stop but I have to constantly apply pressure to the left.

Up to this point I wasn't really worried about the pull to the right because it is small, but when I was crawling around under the Jeep installing my rock lights, I noticed the input shaft seal on my steering box was seeping. And it's been seeping for a while because my steering fluid is right at the minimum mark on the bottle.

I'm hoping that the leak in my steering box will be enough to get them to replace it and to throw in the new steering box. I wouldn't think they would try and throw new orings or seals in the existing aluminum box but I have seen crazier things before.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201103_201312
Please let us know if you face any concerns with your dealer service while having this addressed. We would be happy to offer our additional assistance to you via private messages.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Yes I have a 2 door Willys. So they put the 4 door steering gear in my 2 door?? If I have to drop it off again :mad::mad::mad: ARGH!!

I’m going to have to drive this around until they order another one for me is it even safe to drive??
So after putting the 4 door steering gear in my 2 door JL, the correct one was supposed to arrive on Oct 28 but was delayed. The dealer finally received it today and my advisor said they should be installing it on Monday. My Jeep has been at the dealer since September 23 and I’m dying to get it back. Im really glad I went in for the fix, looks like people are having to wait even longer for the new steering gear. I will update after the install.

Sponsored

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
I picked up my Jeep yesterday. The steering is definitely better! It has a stiffer feel. My wife had the same assessment. I won’t know how good it really is until the summer when the temps increase or when I go on a long trip. My steering wheel was off but dealt with that this morning.
How did u deal with the sterring wheel being off?

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
They most likely bumped the sensor and it got removed from its clip or something and is now dangling somewhere where it might touch hot components and heat up, etc
Any idea where the sensor is?

TIA

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
So after a wait of a little over 4 weeks for the parts to come in (was originally told 8 weeks) I received the call from my service adviser stating the parts were in. I scheduled an appointment to drop off my 2019 wrangler last week. Fix was done in 1 day and I picked it up on Friday. I ordered from Demontrond Jeep in Conroe, TX. on December of 2018 to make sure it was a 2019 model. Having read about the steering issues when the JL came out in 2018, I decided to wait 1 year to allow FCA to resolve the issue. So when I took ownership the early part of 2019 you can imagine the disappointment I felt when on the drive home I was all over the road. Since then my JL has been in 6 times to two dealerships to try and resolve the poor handling. So after fighting to stay in my lane for close to 2 years I can now say the TSB is the real fix! NO play whatsoever, no more wandering, cruising at 75 mph is no longer a white knuckle affair. The folks at Demontrond did everything they were supposed to do. I verified all correct parts were used. No old bolts were reused and no mess with the power steering fluid. I would like to thank everyone on this forum. So much helpfull information is on here. What an advantage we have walking in to the dealerships knowing what to look out for. If you're wondering whether to get this done or not, do it! I could not be happier!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So after installing the new 4 door steering gear into my 2 door Jeep I finally picked it up from the dealer after almost 7 weeks. I checked and they installed the right one this time but my Jeep wanders more than ever now. I guess the steering is a bit stiffer like everyone is reporting but I can’t be sure since I’ve been driving a Cherokee for the last two months. I forgot how my Jeep felt.

I started the drive home with about 2 inches of dead spot that grew to about 3 inches when i got closer to home, it was a 45 minute drive. I am making more corrections to keep it going straight which sucks. I’m guessing at the very least they didn’t tighten the bolts to spec but there is no way I can do that myself so it will have to stay until I can get it in next month once they call me back for a part that’s supposed to come in for my broken seat. I’m just hoping they don’t brush it off as not a big deal and actually try to figure it out :(

I’m pretty bummed and wanting to trade it in for a 2021 with the new steering gear already installed. On my way home I stopped off at an empty parking lot and did the thing where I drive slowly and turn the steering wheel all the way from side to side. I did that about 22 times, I don’t know if that helped. Tomorrow I’ll check my engine oil level to make sure they put in 5 quarts and the steering oil level as well.
Sponsored