Sponsored

Gas mileage question

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I'm dealing on a 2021 Sahara Unlimited and will likely have to order what I want. My choice is the 2.0 turbo with ESS or the 3.6 with eTorque ($400.00 option). I'm leaning towards the 3.6 due to it's proven track record, but would get the 2.0 if the gas mileage is significantly better. For those of you with stock Wranglers, what is your highway mileage like? I drive approx 80% highway with my vehicles.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
both mine , 18 Sahara 3.6 auto selectrac, 20 Rubicon 3.6 auto, get about 22 sh all around so far. biggest hit to mileage appears to me when had soft top down and tube doors on, lost 2 mpg driving around that way.

I some how doubt the 2.0 is going to get much better.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
2.0 owners manual says you should buy premium gas vs regular gas for 3.6? Surely that offsets MPG improvements by the time it reaches your wallet. But doesn't the 2.0 have a better torque curve?

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
2.0 owners manual says you should buy premium gas vs regular gas for 3.6? Surely that offsets MPG improvements by the time it reaches your wallet. But doesn't the 2.0 have a better torque curve?
Yes, the Owners Manual recommend premium with the turbo, but I look at it this way....like getting two different engines. For mundane daily driving, regular works fine. Want an additional horsepower boost, buy a tank of premium.

Also think about this: assume turbo is 24 MPG at $2.70/gallon and Pentastar is 21 MPG at $2.10/gallon. That works out to a higher cost of 1.6 cents per mile. Considering Jeep now charges a $1,500 higher price for the Pentastar, that means the out-of-pocket cost "goes positive" at 90,000 miles. Said a bit differently, you are ahead of the curve until you have almost 100,000 miles on the odometer.

Add to that the fun factor of the kick-in-the-butt turbo performance (higher torque) and it made my ordering decision last week easy.

OP
OP

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Yes, the Owners Manual recommend premium with the turbo, but I look at it this way....like getting two different engines. For mundane daily driving, regular works fine. Want an additional horsepower boost, buy a tank of premium.

Also think about this: assume turbo is 24 MPG at $2.70/gallon and Pentastar is 21 MPG at $2.10/gallon. That works out to a higher cost of 1.6 cents per mile. Considering Jeep now charges a $1,500 higher price for the Pentastar, that means the out-of-pocket cost "goes positive" at 90,000 miles. Said a bit differently, you are ahead of the curve until you have almost 100,000 miles on the odometer.

Add to that the fun factor of the kick-in-the-butt turbo performance (higher torque) and it made my ordering decision last week easy.
There is only $400.00 difference between the 2.0 and the 3.6 eTorque on the Canadian build site.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
There is only $400.00 difference between the 2.0 and the 3.6 eTorque on the Canadian build site.
My guess is that since FCA is under serious pressure to increase US Gov’t CAFE, they are literally giving this engine away. In previous years , this engine cost more than the 3.6 Pentastar.

(I read an article today that FCA is looking at something like $750M in fines for poor CAFE numbers.)
Sponsored