Sponsored

BFGoodrich Rubicon Tires OWL vs BSW Identification

bkod313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Manual Rubicon Wrangler
Hello everyone - This is going to be a strange post, but does anyone know if there is a way to tell an lt285/70r17 OWL vs a lt285/70r17 BWS tire besides just the white lettering? I want to make sure my tires are factory OWL and not painted BWS. Long story but my Rubicon finally came in after waiting 2 months and it turns out my dealership put my order in without the OWL's after I had already paid my deposit. Since it's a zero $ cost option, I never noticed it until I saw my window sticker.

I am trying to compare pictures online of both tires but it looks like they are identical (I think) in markings. Is there an easy way to tell factory OWL vs someone at the dealership doing it? I want to make sure I get the factory tires and not something added by the service department. I was told they were finding me a set of new tires to swap out.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They’re the same tires. Only one side of the tires have the white letters. The other side is black. The only difference is how they’re mounted on the wheels. If they’re opposite of how you’d like them, they can swap another set on, or dismount the tires and flip them around and remount them. Either of those options sounds easier than trying to paint OWL on tires to fool a customer. That’d be pretty easy to detect unless Michelangelo works at your dealership.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
If someone painted the tires (I use to do that way back when) the paint can be rubbed off, as there is no white rubber behind the lettering like there is on real OWL tires.

As for me, I like the OWL tires, but I did not choose them because after rubbing up against rocks on the trail and curbs in the city the colored lettering starts to wear down and does not look as sharp.

OP
OP
bkod313

bkod313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Manual Rubicon Wrangler
Thanks for the replies guys. I was unaware there is white rubber underneath the OWL or that the lettering is molded white. I just assumed they painted them in the manufacturing process. Either way, I wouldn't want the tires if they were altered before I even bought the vehicle. I'll take a good look at them before I sign. Hopefully I can tell.

Thanks.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for the replies guys. I was unaware there is white rubber underneath the OWL or that the lettering is molded white. I just assumed they painted them in the manufacturing process. Either way, I wouldn't want the tires if they were altered before I even bought the vehicle. I'll take a good look at them before I sign. Hopefully I can tell.

Thanks.
Here you can see the tire cross section and the white rubber under the black rubber.

Jeep Wrangler JL BFGoodrich Rubicon Tires OWL vs BSW Identification 1604758959944

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Factory order my Jeep and same thing happen... ordered OWL and got BSW. Was a little upset since I could not at that time order a Tan soft top. Happy I did not get the OWL. I have gotten to close to curbs in my JLR and rubbing on rocks. After only having the Hard Top, which I have off 6 months out of the year, glad as soft top to noisy. Enjoy your new Jeep.
Sponsored