Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We took a quick weekend trip down south last weekend to explore some of the areas north and west of Moab we usually drive past but say "we should check that out sometime."

We spent Saturday on the east side of the Green River. On the south end of town is the abandoned Green River Launch Complex. Missiles were tested here in the 60s and 70s. The three launch pads are still there, and one has the large movable housing/building mostly intact. Artifacts from the testing scattered over hundreds of acres out there.

From there we went south into the sand dunes, washes, and mesas west of the airport.

Sunday we headed to the San Rafael Swell on the west side of the Green River. All sorts of abandoned uranium mines cut into the mesas. Some fun slot canyons to play in as well.

495 miles total. 290 paved; 205 gravel, rock crawling, sand dunes, washes, and more. Averaged 22.5 mpg in the ecodiesel JLUR. Wife, dog, gear, and me probably added 500 lbs to the weight. Lots of starting, stopping, idling, and then some good hooning.
Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-01.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-02.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-03.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-04.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-05.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-06.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-07.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-08.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-09.JPG

Moon Rise!
Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-10.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-11.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-12.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-13.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-14.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-15.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-16.JPG
Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
We took a quick weekend trip down south last weekend to explore some of the areas north and west of Moab we usually drive past but say "we should check that out sometime."

We spent Saturday on the east side of the Green River. On the south end of town is the abandoned Green River Launch Complex. Missiles were tested here in the 60s and 70s. The three launch pads are still there, and one has the large movable housing/building mostly intact. Artifacts from the testing scattered over hundreds of acres out there.

From there we went south into the sand dunes, washes, and mesas west of the airport.

Sunday we headed to the San Rafael Swell on the west side of the Green River. All sorts of abandoned uranium mines cut into the mesas. Some fun slot canyons to play in as well.

495 miles total. 290 paved; 205 gravel, rock crawling, sand dunes, washes, and more. Averaged 22.5 mpg in the ecodiesel JLUR. Wife, dog, gear, and me probably added 500 lbs to the weight. Lots of starting, stopping, idling, and then some good hooning.
Jeep Wrangler JL Reaching Southern Utah Cold War Relics in a JLUR Halloween2020-16.JPG

Moon Rise!

What tires and size are you running? Did you deflate for any portion. Trying to calculate mpg impacts based on scenarios.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This is awesome. I'm a rock jock at heart and love climbing boulders but this kind of exploration is equally cool. It makes going to trails even better if you can see some stuff like this along the way.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
What tires and size are you running? Did you deflate for any portion. Trying to calculate mpg impacts based on scenarios.
Tires are stock 285/70R17 BFG KM2s, at stock 37 psi cold (end up around 40-41 when warm). I did not air down at all and didn't feel a need to do so. Though had we spent more time in White Wash Sand Dunes and the washes I probably would've.

I can say the Off-Road+ button on the 2021 Rubicons does make a difference! I haven't understood why it would help until we were in high-speed washes. It let a lot more drift and play than I expect from any modern vehicle nannies! Good stuff.

Most of our trips down to Southern Utah involve rock crawling. This one was more just dessert exploring and covering backcountry distance.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
This is awesome. I'm a rock jock at heart and love climbing boulders but this kind of exploration is equally cool. It makes going to trails even better if you can see some stuff like this along the way.
I too love the rock crawling, though out here it is often a 3-4+ hour drive to most of those trails (I know, cry me a river). My latest "project" has been working on backcountry/overland routes from the Wasatch Front down to Moab with little or no pavement. So far there is about a 60-80 mile gap with highway travel, but we're getting there.

Also, now that Moab has become a bit overrun for my tastes (especially this year), we've been pushing further out and looking for new areas where we can mostly avoid people. This trip we only encountered 2 other small groups on the trails (other than at major intersections or POIs).

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
That's awesome. I hope to make it out to Moab one of these years. I have some good trails roughly an hour or so from me, however most are on private land. There are a few public ones but they're always in danger of closing due to overuse and abuse by uninformed and unprepared people. That's wheeling in the Northeast though...

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Great you do have trails close at least. I'm very fortunate that I can access a spiderweb of northern Utah dirt roads and trails less than 10 minutes from the garage.

Sponsored

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Jeep, great trip report/ story. We attempted to get down there early October with the ecodiesel but the turbo blew. I will put your exploration on my list of paces to go next season. We are not as close as you being in Oregon. Thanks for sharing!!

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Do you know what the Off-Road+ does? I am trying to find more info about it - seems like it might be a one-touch locker/sway bar disconnect button when in 4H? What differences did you notice? Thanks!

Tires are stock 285/70R17 BFG KM2s, at stock 37 psi cold (end up around 40-41 when warm). I did not air down at all and didn't feel a need to do so. Though had we spent more time in White Wash Sand Dunes and the washes I probably would've.

I can say the Off-Road+ button on the 2021 Rubicons does make a difference! I haven't understood why it would help until we were in high-speed washes. It let a lot more drift and play than I expect from any modern vehicle nannies! Good stuff.

Most of our trips down to Southern Utah involve rock crawling. This one was more just dessert exploring and covering backcountry distance.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Do you know what the Off-Road+ does? I am trying to find more info about it - seems like it might be a one-touch locker/sway bar disconnect button when in 4H? What differences did you notice? Thanks!
Off-Road+ in 4H changes shift points in the transmission to hold gears longer, makes throttle inputs more sensitive, and relaxes the safety nannies (traction control, ESC, etc.) to improve prowess in sand & loose surfaces.

In 4L it also changed the shift points, but makes throttle input less sensitive for rock crawling & low speed maneuvers.

I'll see if I can dig up my source again, though likely found it in the owner's manual.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks! I was curious if you noticed was more than what the owner's manual says (which is sort of vague). Sounds like with a manual transmission, the benefits will be in sand or snow in 4H to help with improved throttle and minimize traction control from taking over, and throttle changes in 4L. Hoping to test it out soon!

Off-Road+ in 4H changes shift points in the transmission to hold gears longer, makes throttle inputs more sensitive, and relaxes the safety nannies (traction control, ESC, etc.) to improve prowess in sand & loose surfaces.

In 4L it also changed the shift points, but makes throttle input less sensitive for rock crawling & low speed maneuvers.

I'll see if I can dig up my source again, though likely found it in the owner's manual.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Yeah, as always, the manuals get shorted some when it comes to electronic goodies. However, you do get to shift yourself, so there's that. ;)

I'd used the button a couple of times but the only thing I noticed was opening the Off-Road pages. However, when we were on a run down White Wash I tried again and it worked! Kept rmp up, along with some wheel spin, and I stayed on top. I got a little cocky and started to push out some drifts, too. Great fun and the ESC didn't intervene! I'm looking forward to more snow up here so I can really see when it will tell me "ENOUGH!" without fear of catching a hidden rock sideways.
Sponsored