Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@RonAZ Could you post a pic? I'm curious where you put it and how it turned out.
Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I put the control knob under the steering wheel in the flat panel that snaps off to get to the wires and plug for the brake controller. I don't like it there. Someone else on the forum had a picture where the control knob was installed in a flat spot between the cup hold and the gear shift. I am going to move it to that location once I figure out how to remove the plastic panels to run the wire.
The small control box can be secured up under the steering wheel behind the removable panel. A small flat wire runs between the control knob and the control box. Should be easy to conceal. It might be possible to remove the cigarette lighter and install the knob there.
I am not at my jeep now, so I can't take a picture.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I maintained the 12v socket and spent only about $50 for a Curt 51110 controller (mounted on the kick panel under the steering wheel), with Curt harness 51458 for a Ram with the blue and black leads swapped at the connector for the Jeep.

FirstJeep415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I called MOPAR and they said it doesn't work with my 2018 JLUR. Only 2019 and above. What is the difference?

OP
OP
JimLee

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I don't have the factory tow package, I do have the Mopar kit in my garage uninstalled. I remember reading somewhere on one of the towing threads that installing the kit afterwards leaves you missing some wires that are there if tow package is installed from factory. I'm wondering if installing the Mopar kit will allow me to use this controller. I guess once a few people have installed the controller it will be a little easier to figure out.

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Looks like they just copied the Redarc design. Thats what I went with on my 2018 JLUR.
In 2019 the Jeep engineer in Moab told be that they didn't put a brake controller with the tow package because they could not decide on where to put it. The Redarc one works very well.
It may be a Redarc supplied unit?

BryonL

First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
I don't have the factory tow package, I do have the Mopar kit in my garage uninstalled. I remember reading somewhere on one of the towing threads that installing the kit afterwards leaves you missing some wires that are there if tow package is installed from factory. I'm wondering if installing the Mopar kit will allow me to use this controller. I guess once a few people have installed the controller it will be a little easier to figure out.
I recently installed the Mopar trailer wiring kit and it does include the blue trailer brake wire within the harness. I don’t plan to install a brake controller but the wire is there behind the glove box if I ever decide to.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
Anyone else see this yet?
https://tfltruck.com/2020/10/the-je...ke-controller-will-also-work-with-a-wrangler/

Official info and parts # of Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller via JeepGladiatorForum.com:

Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released

The part # for the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller is
  • 82215652AB
Mopar Introduces New Factory-backed Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep® Gladiator

October 13, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Mopar, FCA’s service, parts and customer-care brand, is enhancing the towing experience of the Jeep® Gladiator with the release of a new trailer brake controller.

The new Mopar trailer brake controller will give Jeep Gladiator owners the ability to activate the electronic brakes on properly equipped trailers. Independent from the truck’s brakes, the additional trailer brake control allows for greater stopping power when needed, such as on downhill grades, while helping to minimize wear and tear on both the trailer and vehicle. The amount of brake force on the trailer may be customized depending on load requirements.

“At Mopar, we continue to expand our comprehensive Jeep portfolio, which includes more than 500 factory-backed, quality-tested parts and accessories,” said Mark Bosanac, Head of Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care, FCA – North America. “Our new trailer brake controller improves Jeep Gladiator’s braking efficiency and maximizes safety when towing.”

The new trailer brake controller is easily integrated into the Jeep Gladiator’s instrument panel. Installed in front of the transmission shift lever, the round controller knob provides a consistent look and feel with the vehicle’s interior. The new controller may also be retrofitted into Jeep Gladiators that are already on the road.

Available for purchase as a stand-alone part in the U.S. and Canada, the new Mopar trailer brake controller has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $299. The standard Mopar factory-backed warranty coverage includes two years/unlimited miles from date of purchase or up to the remainder of the new-vehicle’s warranty of three years/36,000 miles.

r-jeep-gladiator-trail-brake-controller-knob-1-jpg.jpg

r-jeep-gladiator-trail-brake-controller-knob-2-jpg.jpg
I got one, install is November 9th. Did anyone relocate the 12v to somewhere? Does the controller use the 12v power to operate this controller. I have to figure out once it's in the shop what to do if the 12v can be reloaded.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OMTBiker