Hit a deer doing 70mph :(

Hasaf

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
I am just a bit surprised by the number of people here that assume that a deer strike would result in a police report. When I lived in Northern California, the stretch between Weed and Yreka alone got at least two a night.

I know several people who hit deer. I can not think of anyone who lived in that area that has not hit a deer. Unless the car is disabled the CHP won't even respond to a deer strike.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I hit a large farm hog once that had an ear tag, in a Chevy pickup - hundreds of dollars to fix the front end. I called the sheriff’s department because the hog had an ear tag, and I was right in front of the property of a guy farming hogs. He did a report and questioned the farmer. Of course he denied that it was his hog. The generic ear tag on the hog matched the ones he was using on his farm. My insurance paid for it.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
If you are going to hit a deer, this how you do it ...

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
And if you’re going to hit an elk, this is how to do it. I did this a few years ago, about 65 mph at point of impact.
Fast forward to 1:40

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Vinman that was a hard hit. atleast it was in a full size truck. how bad was the damage on the truck not the elk. how does it work up in you neck of the woods in reporting it.

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I hit one in my Nissan pickup a couple months back. I should say it hit me. I slammed on the brakes and missed one in front of me. His buddy was running right behind him and slammed into the side of my truck. Insurance gave me 3k for it. I got a new mirror on Amazon for $50, banged out the dents down the side the best I could. Put the $3k towards the down-payment on my new Rubi. :clap:

One month into it another darn mountain rat ran out onto the road. The Fishbone steel bumper hit it square on and it was no worse than hitting a speedbump as the Rubi rolled over it. No damage, just a little deer poop on the windshield.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
@Vinman that was a hard hit. atleast it was in a full size truck. how bad was the damage on the truck not the elk. how does it work up in you neck of the woods in reporting it.
16k in damages.
A 2011 Ram 2500 Diesel, insurance replaced everything ahead of the engine block. We have to report any vehicle damages above 2k to the cops before a bodyshop is allowed to repair. Insurance covered eveyrything, cost me $250 deductible. Lifetime warranty on all repairs too.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Y’all are giving me hope now. Hopefully, insurance covers my axle.

I hit one in my Nissan pickup a couple months back. I should say it hit me. I slammed on the brakes and missed one in front of me. His buddy was running right behind him and slammed into the side of my truck. Insurance gave me 3k for it. I got a new mirror on Amazon for $50, banged out the dents down the side the best I could. Put the $3k towards the down-payment on my new Rubi. :clap:

One month into it another darn mountain rat ran out onto the road. The Fishbone steel bumper hit it square on and it was no worse than hitting a speedbump as the Rubi rolled over it. No damage, just a little deer poop on the windshield.
16k in damages.
A 2011 Ram 2500 Diesel, insurance replaced everything ahead of the engine block. We have to report any vehicle damages above 2k to the cops before a bodyshop is allowed to repair. Insurance covered eveyrything, cost me $250 deductible. Lifetime warranty on all repairs too.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Last night I ran over a deer................................................................................................................dear friend of mine.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Moose are the worst if you hit them side on. In a car or pick up they come over the hood and back first into the windshield. In big trucks, especially the slopey nosed ones, they roll up the hood and come feet first through the windshield ... they're not dead when they do that !!!

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Every time I see a deer, hear about a deer, but not when talking about John Deere. Im reminded of my first.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I hit a large farm hog once that had an ear tag, in a Chevy pickup - hundreds of dollars to fix the front end. I called the sheriff’s department because the hog had an ear tag, and I was right in front of the property of a guy farming hogs. He did a report and questioned the farmer. Of course he denied that it was his hog. The generic ear tag on the hog matched the ones he was using on his farm. My insurance paid for it.
I lived in the country and nobody ever claimed to own any animals that were hit and in my state, the laws favor ranchers. In Jan 2005 I was driving to work in the dark when me and another guy were overwhelmed by running animals. He had a cow go through the passenger side of his pickup and I hit a donkey while dodging a llama. Totaled both vehicles and he had liability only. We were in front of the owners property and everyone knew who owned them. Insurance didn't want to fault the owner unless they could find proof the fencing was always in disrepair. Funny thing is all 3 of us had the same insurance company and agent. I got paid but don't know about the guy with liability insurance. Police only showed up because the dead animals were a road hazard.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Y’all are giving me hope now. Hopefully, insurance covers my axle.
Update. Insurance will cover the axle replacement :clap:

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Back when I was living in Ohio my boss was driving his Mazda RX-7 in broad daylight when a doberman streaked out from the side of the road and slammed right into his driver side door. It tumbled once and jumped back up and continued on the path the was originally going. Dedicated Doberman. Must have been chasing a rabbit or something. My boss had to replace the RX-7 door.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored