Sponsored

Big driving improvement after LCA swap

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
And the new one's are noticeably stouter!
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hey guys. Would anyone know how my 2021 JLUR has a caster of 6 degrees (angle is exactly 90 degrees when measured using the flat holes beside the front diff cover with the digital iPhone measure app) but still retains the old front LCAs with the old 68250242AB part number? I measured three times and always ensured the floor was at a level, zero degree incline.
Jeep Wrangler JL Big driving improvement after LCA swap E546C219-AB75-4D8F-9846-3DA6492050FB

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
First time with hard top and doors off since the LCA swap and the addition of 3/4” front spacers. Front only gained 3/8” and back 1 1/4” gained. Still tracked great. No wandering. It had a very confident feel.
I didn’t check caster this time...not sure if it changed.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I didn’t realize how sensitive solid axles are to road crown until the LCA swap. Even the slightest crown has me compensating for the right pull. I feel that the extra caster is great though.

I’ve got rubi springs and the mopar lcas and it seems i’m always combatting this pull. Gonna go get an alignment soon though and check toe settings.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I didn’t realize how sensitive solid axles are to road crown until the LCA swap. Even the slightest crown has me compensating for the right pull. I feel that the extra caster is great though.

I’ve got rubi springs and the mopar lcas and it seems i’m always combatting this pull. Gonna go get an alignment soon though and check toe settings.
At some point you might consider going to adjustable lower control arms. That way caster can be adjusted individually to account for road crown.

Later,
Johnny

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The title of the thread caught my eye because I too have routinely felt that since I bought my JLUR 2 yrs ago, I have frequently noticed that the Jeep wanders all over the lane, requiring frequent corrections on my part. I have joked with several friends that it feels like it has the steering system of a golf cart. On windy days here in central TX, I expect that type of drive since after all, I'm driving a box down the road. In all honesty this being the first Jeep I've owned, I kind of chalked it up to well that's just the way a Jeep drives.

When I bought my JLUR I had the MOPAR Lift (2") with Fox shocks and 35" tires installed with alignment. After reading people's post here, I contacted the dealer today b/c it looks that the Mopar Lift kit comes with the longer LCA as part of the package, to which the "parts" guy here at the dealer said it does....so my assumption would be that when the lift was installed, my stock rubicon control arm would have been changed out for the longer LCA referred to in the original post (SKU: 68322798AA).

Genuine Mopar Performance 2" Lift Kit 4 Door 3.6L
Part Number: 77072395AE

Anyone else here have this lift and able to confirm that the LCA referenced (SKU: 68322798AA) would have already been installed as part of the Lift? If so I guess I've got part of the fix already done and will be thankful knowing that it wanders less than it possibly could. My next step is to look into replacing/upgrading the steering stabilizer.
Thank you

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Anyone else here have this lift and able to confirm that the LCA referenced (SKU: 68322798AA) would have already been installed as part of the Lift? If so I guess I've got part of the fix already done and will be thankful knowing that it wanders less than it possibly could. My next step is to look into replacing/upgrading the steering stabilizer.
Thank you
Someone will be along with the long answer Steve but I think that you'll find that you do have the longer control arms but they only gave you back the caster that you lost when you added the lift. So, you're probably still in the ~4 range instead of the desired ~6. May be time for adjustable arms.

Later,
Johnny

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 JLUR is on the train inbound. Going 315/70/17 with no lift before I even pick it up. Should I drive it for a bit first or would anyone recommend swapping for the mopar LCA's right away?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My 2021 JLUR is on the train inbound. Going 315/70/17 with no lift before I even pick it up. Should I drive it for a bit first or would anyone recommend swapping for the mopar LCA's right away?
It's possible they've put the longer LCAs on from the factory in 2021, might wait and verify your LCA part#, and if they are the old LCAs then I would highly recommend swapping to the new ones.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I just checked my 2021 JLURD and it has the old LCAs (68250242AB). My angle measurement tool reads 89 degrees at the differential. What does that translate to in caster?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I just checked my 2021 JLURD and it has the old LCAs (68250242AB). My angle measurement tool reads 89 degrees at the differential. What does that translate to in caster?
If 0 is straight up, you have 6 degrees of caster.

Since I don't know which way your gauge measures, you either have 5 degrees or 7 (likely 5 if it's stock).

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So...1 degree difference at the differential = 1 degree difference on the caster? It's a 1 for 1 translation? How do I tell "which direction" the 1 degree translates to on the caster (5 or 7)?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So...1 degree difference at the differential = 1 degree difference on the caster? How do I tell "which direction" the 1 degree is?
Yes, the axle is constructed with 6 degrees built in. Since the axle assembly moves as one unit, measuring 1 additional degree at the differential equals one additional degree of caster.

The only way to tell would be when you measure it. Was the top of the differential pointed slightly towards the rear of the vehicle? If so, then you have 7 degrees. If it was pointed towards the front, then 5 degrees.
Sponsored