Sponsored

Putting on a Magnuson Supercharger -lets build!

ATXVMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT, 2020 Jeep JL Rubicon Recon
I have the Magnuson on my 2020 Gladiator. I had a helluva time getting an aftermarket CAI to fit - ended up with Sepctre and had to buy a longer rubber connector for the airbox end. I also have the Pedal Commander (set on City 4, most days) and a Madness Autoworks AutoFlash. Magnuson recommends stock exhaust (at least on the JT), says you lose pressure/boost with any aftermarket. Pushes 35s on 20'' rims. Deleted as much as I could t get weight down, but can't delete a lot. Very happy with set up. Easily beats Ford Raptors, Mustang GTs, BMW 3-series (non-M) and any truck except the Shelby 700. I put 5.38 gearing in it for red-light to red-light speed and helluva difference. Still cruises 85-90 no problem, maybe 3100 rpm.

As others have noted, V8 swap gives a different feel and sound, but I'd argue I'm performing better 0-60 than non-Demon swap, including a Hellcat JL and a 5.7L JT. However, my JT produces no sound except from the CAI, which kinda sucks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Biotequity

Biotequity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I am seriously considering chging the diff gearing too. I almost never get into 8th gear.

ATXVMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am seriously considering chging the diff gearing too. I almost never get into 8th gear.
Good idea if you like 0-60 or red light to red light performance. The Madness auto flash helps with the torque limiter and shift patterns too. I’ve got 3500 miles on my SC - no issues. Still running stock axles - that will be my next upgrade. 60 Ultimates.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have 6k miles on it - so 2500 more On the Sc. The tires are much firmer than stock , still smoother than my prev JK. Same gas milage on what feels like 40% more power. Its a great ride and I find my self taking it out more frequently than a pair of Ferraris I have parked next to it.
I tell people that my JLUR is like a Ferrari. I wash it, drive it, and look at it while smiling. Just like I would a Ferrari. Not a Ferrari, just like a Ferrari. LOL.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Can our ZF transmission handle that much extra HP? what about the valve train, driveshaft, pistons, connecting rods etc. Anyone know the limits of the internals? Or the fuel system for that matter. Not saying it can't I am just curious.

Sponsored

ATXVMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can our ZF transmission handle that much extra HP? what about the valve train, driveshaft, pistons, connecting rods etc. Anyone know the limits of the internals? Or the fuel system for that matter. Not saying it can't I am just curious.
Per Magnuson all good except injectors, which they supply with their kit. Of course it’s also a function of how hard you get on it. I watch exhaust temp but all puberty gauges seem in line with stock performance.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Per Magnuson all good except injectors, which they supply with their kit. Of course it’s also a function of how hard you get on it. I watch exhaust temp but all puberty gauges seem in line with stock performance.
Yeah I’m running the Maggie blower on a six speed. I don’t baby it, but I don’t really flog and redline it either. Rausch creek (greens to reds) and daily driving - runs damned good. Have had it for five or six weeks.

ATXVMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I’m running the Maggie blower on a six speed. I don’t baby it, but I don’t really flog and redline it either. Rausch creek (greens to reds) and daily driving - runs damned good. Have had it for five or six weeks.
What is your gearing?

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I wish someone came out with a system that would allow you to turn the Super charger on when you needed it and off when you didnt want it. Premium is like 50 cents a gallon more then regular on top of that some places dont carry premium.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I wish someone came out with a system that would allow you to turn the Super charger on when you needed it and off when you didnt want it. Premium is like 50 cents a gallon more then regular on top of that some places dont carry premium.
What are the settings where you don’t want it? For me it’s not an insane power boost, just feels all around more capable in most settings. Off-roading I don’t really notice it.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
What are the settings where you don’t want it? For me it’s not an insane power boost, just feels all around more capable in most settings. Off-roading I don’t really notice it.
I dont have one, my understanding is you need to run premium gas and if I could get a SC that had the flexibility I spoke of I would love to get one.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I dont have one, my understanding is you need to run premium gas and if I could get a SC that had the flexibility I spoke of I would love to get one.
Gotcha, and they do indeed require premium, as you stated.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Really though, the stock 3.6L Pentastar in the JL, with its bumped up compression from the JK, SHOULD be running premium as-is. I ran a tank of 93 through my bone stock Pentastar and it ran noticeably better. No more detonation, less stumbling at low RPM, and just an all around smoother running engine. Went back to 87, and all those previous little buggers showed back up.

I made a rough estimate that, at $0.50/gal more expensive (which it's been closer to $0.70/gal lately but I wanted to be conservative) and averaging 16mpg, it would take about 32,000 miles to spend an extra $1000 on fuel. I ran down this line of thought because I thought that, if the Livernois tuning alone on the 87 tune can work out many of these bugs, it would pay for itself with a better driving experience after 32,000 miles. But, with the compression ratio of these engines being over 11:1 now, I'm not sure what tuning can really do to work out all the detonation and stumbling and rough low-RPM running while still running 87 octane (and most who get the tune crank it up to the 93 or E85 tunes because horsepower).

Anyway, just a thought. If I weren't unemployed (ahem, I mean self-funded), I'd probably have already ordered a Maggie blower kit and had Livernois set up the tuning and just commit to the $3k extra fuel spend over the next 100k miles.
Sponsored