LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Made a template today. Pad and carving knife get here tomorrow but pad is supposed to fully expand before cutting according to a few sites I saw. Seems counterintuitive to me but I’ll post pics after cutting.

2CDC100F-3D3B-4C99-B083-3DEC74EDF2C5.jpeg

6504BFCC-0126-44A3-8013-3688A285C88F.jpeg

2323FA08-C31B-4ADB-A974-EB32078771F0.jpeg

B51D039E-1B27-4953-9B61-1757DC3AB32F.jpeg
I love this dedication.
Sponsored

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
Made a template today. Pad and carving knife get here tomorrow but pad is supposed to fully expand before cutting according to a few sites I saw. Seems counterintuitive to me but I’ll post pics after cutting.

2CDC100F-3D3B-4C99-B083-3DEC74EDF2C5.jpeg

6504BFCC-0126-44A3-8013-3688A285C88F.jpeg

2323FA08-C31B-4ADB-A974-EB32078771F0.jpeg

B51D039E-1B27-4953-9B61-1757DC3AB32F.jpeg
Do you work for WeatherTech?

Kidding.

Great job...can’t wait to see how this works. I’d be down for something like this.

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you work for WeatherTech?

Kidding.

Great job...can’t wait to see how this works. I’d be down for something like this.
Lol! Yes, laser cut (or whatever the heck they say they are)!

We’ll see how it goes. I think it will work out. Not sure how tho loose fabric on the cover after cutting will be.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
CEB25E98-8968-4D29-8349-84705A399800.jpeg
This topic makes me think my decision to get the wrangler wasn’t the best idea. The other option was the 4Runner but I’m hoping the top off and doors off experience this summer makes up for the lack of room when sleeping in the vehicle.

I’m curious to find out how others are sleeping in the back of their unlimiteds, especially couples.
Im 54 and have been sleeping on a foam blue pad or thermarest in tents or in the back of my current Tundra (canopy) for many sunrises... comfort isn’t the ultimate goal... it’s being in those special places when the sunrises and that cup of coffee is in hand. Never had a bad nights sleep I gave a care about when the sunrise stretches over beauty. I considered the 4-runner.. been planning on buying one for years but...the JL stole my heart... Dang... it’s a Jeep Wrangler.. it’s totally a unique, vehicle... an adventure beast... not more sunroof / windows down for me.. I want full immersion. I’m planning on building a raised sleeping platform in my unlimited Rubi with storage area underneath. It will be removable when not adventuring.. Will it be a bit cramped and uncomfortable? Heck ya... but... the places you’ll be able to go... it’ll make that sunrise worth it..

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It would be great to start a Wrangler camping thread to cover similar topics. Especially to hear from people who have already slept in their Wranglers, camping accessories, etc. Personally, I plan on getting an SUV tent and sleep in the back of the Wrangler. Many campgrounds don't allow sleeping in the car, but an SUV tent will help with meeting the requirements and provide a place to store stuff. Also, any ideas about some sort of A/C system? I was thinking about getting a portable A/C like one of these https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating...ioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/N-5yc1vZc4m4 and putting the exit vent in the tent and the A/C fills both the tent and the Wrangler. Of course need to park in a campground with an A/C outlet. Thoughts?

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It would be great to start a Wrangler camping thread to cover similar topics. Especially to hear from people who have already slept in their Wranglers, camping accessories, etc. Personally, I plan on getting an SUV tent and sleep in the back of the Wrangler. Many campgrounds don't allow sleeping in the car, but an SUV tent will help with meeting the requirements and provide a place to store stuff. Also, any ideas about some sort of A/C system? I was thinking about getting a portable A/C like one of these https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating...ioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/N-5yc1vZc4m4 and putting the exit vent in the tent and the A/C fills both the tent and the Wrangler. Of course need to park in a campground with an A/C outlet. Thoughts?
When you sleep in the car, you don't need a campground. ;)

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
1AD0D72F-A19A-4809-83AE-9F0295218879.jpeg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Ursa Minor campers. You get a new top that flips up like the vw westfalia pop top campers. They are out for the jk and will becoming out for the jlu

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Ursa Minor campers. You get a new top that flips up like the vw westfalia pop top campers. They are out for the jk and will becoming out for the jlu
Yeah, but $10K is a lot to spend on one....

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
This topic makes me think my decision to get the wrangler wasn’t the best idea. The other option was the 4Runner but I’m hoping the top off and doors off experience this summer makes up for the lack of room when sleeping in the vehicle.

I’m curious to find out how others are sleeping in the back of their unlimiteds, especially couples.
I’m planning to sleep in my two door when it arrives. Lay the front seat back and have a platform over it. I’ll be stretched out from dash to hatch.

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’m excited to see this completed. Went camping last night and I slept in a tent, albeit comfortable and roomy, the times I woke up I kept thinking about just moving into the jeep to try it out!

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Im 54 and have been sleeping on a foam blue pad or thermarest in tents or in the back of my current Tundra (canopy) for many sunrises... comfort isn’t the ultimate goal... it’s being in those special places when the sunrises and that cup of coffee is in hand. Never had a bad nights sleep I gave a care about when the sunrise stretches over beauty. I considered the 4-runner.. been planning on buying one for years but...the JL stole my heart... Dang... it’s a Jeep Wrangler.. it’s totally a unique, vehicle... an adventure beast... not more sunroof / windows down for me.. I want full immersion. I’m planning on building a raised sleeping platform in my unlimited Rubi with storage area underneath. It will be removable when not adventuring.. Will it be a bit cramped and uncomfortable? Heck ya... but... the places you’ll be able to go... it’ll make that sunrise worth it..
Well said. I looked into the JKU and then looked into the overlanding scene and I know it’s possible with all different vehicles. It’s my first one so I’m just leery of the money spent until I get more experiences. I just got back from a 2.5 hour road trip and I got 27 mpg so I’m pretty stoked about that! The platform would be awesome to see. I have a dog that rides in the back but having something ~6” tall would be awesome for storage.

The overlanding subreddit and plethora of overlanding forums are a great resource but I concur with adding a camping section here! I want to know what my fellow jeep people are doing. Where do I get the best shovel? How do I stow it? This forum... this would be the ideal place to find out ;)

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
@banessi do you plan to stuff packed gear or something to fit between the back of the front seat to the front of the folded down back seat? Attached in case my explanation is terrible..

238DBC43-3435-4A18-A65A-54936CA01DFE.jpeg

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Went to Colorado from Ckeveland last week. Slept just fine laid out in the back. Laid out my inflatable mat after not doing so on my first night though haha.

20180401_141907.jpg
Sponsored