ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Rough Country skid plate system, without the gas tank skid and I often notice a clang when hitting a hole and the suspension depresses most of the way. It looks like the front drive shaft may be hitting the attachment bracket that comes down from the engine mount, near where it meets the front axle. Has anyone else had an issue with this skid plate system?
Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Rough Country skid plate system, without the gas tank skid and I often notice a clang when hitting a hole and the suspension depresses most of the way. It looks like the front drive shaft may be hitting the attachment bracket that comes down from the engine mount, near where it meets the front axle. Has anyone else had an issue with this skid plate system?
I have the same issue, which I discovered today. After hitting a few times, it became clear exactly where the contact was being made, so I took my angle grinder and removed some material from the offending bracket. This seems to have solved the problem.

OP
OP
ScottieGfunk

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How much did you grind off? If possible, could you post a pic? I'm not sure exactly where it is hitting.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
How much did you grind off? If possible, could you post a pic? I'm not sure exactly where it is hitting.
I took material off in an arc to a maximum depth of about 1/4" or so and sprayed it with brown metal primer. Here are a couple of pics.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Skid Plates IMG_5142

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Skid Plates IMG_5143