Sponsored

Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that particular rabbits hole. The Metalcloak front cover doesn't play well with a lot of track bars.

Where are you headed to in November? I too am looking to hit the trails very soon. I've just been trying to complete a certain minimum of modifications before my off season begins and I can leave new york. I'm heading to Rausch creek and AAOA in PA.
Lol. Heading to Rausch Creek for two days. 101 on Sat 21 and 201 on Sunday 22! We were there two weeks ago for green guided! Lots of fun. Got a Badge of Honor for trail 11. Super fun.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Heading to Rausch Creek for two days. 101 on Sat 21 and 201 on Sunday 22! We were there two weeks ago for green guided! Lots of fun. Got a Badge of Honor for trail 11. Super fun.
NICE!!!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I just bought the rancho rock front diff skid plate for the dyna 44 Rubicon. I am installing it next week. The mechanic said that sometimes when you remove the 4 bolts on the cover, you can get leaks. I am hoping that this doesn't happen. From what little I know, if the cover starts to leak you have to drain the diff, remove and reseal, bolt it back up and refill the diff. Has anyone had this issue?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought the rancho rock front diff skid plate for the dyna 44 Rubicon. I am installing it next week. The mechanic said that sometimes when you remove the 4 bolts on the cover, you can get leaks. I am hoping that this doesn't happen. From what little I know, if the cover starts to leak you have to drain the diff, remove and reseal, bolt it back up and refill the diff. Has anyone had this issue?
I don't see why you'd need to drain it if it leaks a little when you remove those bolts. These axles use a reusable diff cover gasket. The old style was to use RTV to seal the diff cover, so in that case, yes you'd want to remove the cover as the RTV would not be sealing anymore.

With the re-usable gasket, just tighten it all back up when you get your diff skid on and top off the diff fluid. Chances are, it won't leak. Those gaskets seal pretty good and you usually have to knock the diff cover a few times with a mallet to break the seal.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see why you'd need to drain it if it leaks a little when you remove those bolts. These axles use a reusable diff cover gasket. The old style was to use RTV to seal the diff cover, so in that case, yes you'd want to remove the cover as the RTV would not be sealing anymore.

With the re-usable gasket, just tighten it all back up when you get your diff skid on and top off the diff fluid. Chances are, it won't leak. Those gaskets seal pretty good and you usually have to knock the diff cover a few times with a mallet to break the seal.
I recieved my Rancho front diff skid and all the bolts and brackets were missing. I don't need it till 11 21 and Northridge4x4 was super helpful and fast with helping. Shoukld have my parts this week.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I recieved my Rancho front diff skid and all the bolts and brackets were missing. I don't need it till 11 21 and Northridge4x4 was super helpful and fast with helping. Shoukld have my parts this week.
I was lucky. The bolts and brackets were in a separate bag. Now to get it installed.

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
Has anybody installed the metalcloak diff skid plate with the Dana Advantek cover on the rear? I wonder if there is an issue with the ribs hitting the skid plate.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Has anybody installed the metalcloak diff skid plate with the Dana Advantek cover on the rear? I wonder if there is an issue with the ribs hitting the skid plate.
I haven’t, but I saw a picture of it somewhere on the forum just yesterday. Sorry, I can’t remember who or which thread.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ARB diff covers, which are pretty thick, and still have plenty of clearance from the Metalcloak rear diff skid. The skid extends a decent amount rearward of the cover, before it angles up. You should be good.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? 20201116_093028

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
I have the ARB diff covers, which are pretty thick, and still have plenty of clearance from the Metalcloak rear diff skid. The skid extends a decent amount rearward of the cover, before it angles up. You should be good.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? 20201116_093028
Thank you. Pic was very useful.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Anyone have issues with the Metal Cloak front dif cover/skid combo and Rock Krawler suspension (aka the trackbar in this case)?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Anyone have issues with the Metal Cloak front dif cover/skid combo and Rock Krawler suspension (aka the trackbar in this case)?
I have that exact setup and no issues. I had the Metal Cloak cover powder coated and there is no visible marks on the cover or the trackbar from any type of contact. I really like the Cloak cover and skid as it is a minimalistic type of setup. I've hit the Cloak skid very hard plenty of times and it works perfectly. I have the Next Venture rear skid, but don't think the front Next Venture full coverage is needed.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered the metal cloak front diff cover & skid but now after reading I may have just made a mistake. I have the RC 2.5 spacer lift and hoped it’ll work. I see it won’t work with a stock lift but with a small spacer lift will it work without hitting the track bar? Or should I go a different route?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Nevermind on my question. Turns out it won’t even mount on a 21 model. I guess Jeep made a change on the casting so I’ll have to go a different route or wait for the update.

I will add, the customer service is awesome. They had no issues canceling my order. I have their rear diff skid and have been super happy with it.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Nevermind on my question. Turns out it won’t even mount on a 21 model. I guess Jeep made a change on the casting so I’ll have to go a different route or wait for the update.

I will add, the customer service is awesome. They had no issues canceling my order. I have their rear diff skid and have been super happy with it.
Interesting glad I saw this post I was not aware of that and also looking for a skid plate. I can not decide what to get. My diff has taken some hits and I need to get something on it ASAP.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Upgrade vs Diff Skids vs both? AD9CDDBC-FD1E-45DC-9387-1D74D9A60D5C
Sponsored