Sponsored

KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Those of you Cyclone rock lights, where did you mount them up front? I want to put together an 8 light kit and I found mounting locations for 6, but can't seem to find a location ahead of the front wheels. I don't have my lights yet so just trying to get a plan in place when I do order them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Those of you Cyclone rock lights, where did you mount them up front? I want to put together an 8 light kit and I found mounting locations for 6, but can't seem to find a location ahead of the front wheels. I don't have my lights yet so just trying to get a plan in place when I do order them.
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_4103

I am also about to install 8 cyclones as rock lights. The front is my hold up as well. I think I found a spot. I am going to mess around with it more this weekend. Here is my buddy John's JL, you can see his cyclone under his front fender here.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_4103

I am also about to install 8 cyclones as rock lights. The front is my hold up as well. I think I found a spot. I am going to mess around with it more this weekend. Here is my buddy John's JL, you can see his cyclone under his front fender here.
Thanks. That's probably the best picture I've seen for placement so far. I'm still rocking the stock fender liners so that's another hurdle. I was looking at the AAL front fender liners which should hopefully give me a few more accessible locations whenever I get around to ordering them.

I was able to get 3 lights in so far tonight. But I'm also making it harder on myself because I can't stand a rats nest of wires so I'm modifying the KC harnesses to run 2 lights each and running all the wires through the frame. That way I don't have to run 8 separate harnesses.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! 125562957_1798005327017986_2267366790145893199_n(1)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Hey everyone!! I installed the G34s in the rear bumper as back up lights and I wired them into the Aux wiring for easy activation.

However once I finished and tested the lights only one worked... I know the wiring harness came with a lot of wiring and including red, black and a yellow and a relay. I’m not a wiring expert but I cut the yellow wire with the relay and removed it form the harness to only use the red and black wire. I know using the Aux wiring, I just need the red wire to power it and black to ground. Am I missing something?

Has anyone installed these using the Aux switch in their JL? Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! 125562957_1798005327017986_2267366790145893199_n(1)
If you are using the Mopar Switches, all you need is the red and black wires from the harness. Black to solid ground buss or negative post on battery, and red to switch leg on Mopar wire leads. Then make sure that you match the fuse size from the harness to the switch leg. Never go up in size that factory installed, but you can go down in size.

If only one light is working, try swapping lights to see if the problem follows. If you have a meter, you can also check for voltage at the connectors. If you have roughly 12vDC at both connectors and the light not working follows to the working location, and the working one continues to work at the bad location, then it sounds like a bad light. Then you can submit at https://www.kchilites.com/help/returns/form

If the problem does not follow and one location is missing voltage, sounds like the crimp connection of the two reds or two blacks is loose or broken. There should be a 3 way split on the reds and blacks. 1 main going up then splitting to the two lights.
You can shoot me some pictures or DMs on Instagram if you need some more help for a faster response. I don't get on the forums as much as I would like.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That's probably the best picture I've seen for placement so far. I'm still rocking the stock fender liners so that's another hurdle. I was looking at the AAL front fender liners which should hopefully give me a few more accessible locations whenever I get around to ordering them.

I was able to get 3 lights in so far tonight. But I'm also making it harder on myself because I can't stand a rats nest of wires so I'm modifying the KC harnesses to run 2 lights each and running all the wires through the frame. That way I don't have to run 8 separate harnesses.
Did you ever get the front figured out? I ran into some other projects and never got to this one yet on my Jeep.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Did you ever get the front figured out? I ran into some other projects and never got to this one yet on my Jeep.
Yes and No. I have 6 of the 8 lights installed and wires ran. I know where I'm going to install the front lights just need to wait for my fender liners to come in so I have easier access to run the wires and mount it. But I need to head to my buddies shop to make a bracket for the front light and the terminal block to mount on the driver side firewall. Everything is just sort of ziptied up under the hold right now.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! 20201128_193639

Finally got all 8 lights done. It's about 90% complete. All the lights are in and wired but I need to make a mounting bracket for the terminal block and ground stud. And then I'll need to shorten all the wiresm harness because I don't want a rats nest under the hood. I wish KC would have left the ring terminals off each wire harness so each harness length could be cut to fit and then have us crimp on the ring terminals when it's all installed.

For the fronts, since I'm still rocking the factory liners, I took one of the bolts out from inside the liner and used a 5/8" spacer as a stand off so the light wasn't sitting against the liner. Drilled a hole in the liner right next to the light just big enough to feed the wires through.

20201128_193302.jpg

20201128_194436.jpg

20201128_194444.jpg

20201128_194451.jpg

20201128_194510.jpg

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! 20201128_194510

Finally got all 8 lights done. It's about 90% complete. All the lights are in and wired but I need to make a mounting bracket for the terminal block and ground stud. And then I'll need to shorten all the wiresm harness because I don't want a rats nest under the hood. I wish KC would have left the ring terminals off each wire harness so each harness length could be cut to fit and then have us crimp on the ring terminals when it's all installed.

For the fronts, since I'm still rocking the factory liners, I took one of the bolts out from inside the liner and used a 5/8" spacer as a stand off so the light wasn't sitting against the liner. Drilled a hole in the liner right next to the light just big enough to feed the wires through.

That came out great! Nice job. I was thinking the same idea for the front. Yeah I'll be cutting off the ring terminals also and adding in new ones to clean up the wiring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! 6D5F5CFD-7D77-4BF8-8330-69AAB4867889.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_8877.JPG

Little drive through Idaho Spring in Colorado. Beautiful out there. Gets you in the Christmas spirit.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_8938.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_8952.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_8953

Finished installing the KC Cyclone Universal Under the Hood Kit. These little lights really pack a punch.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR

Finished installing the KC Cyclone Universal Under the Hood Kit. These little lights really pack a punch.
That's probably my next move. I like where you mounted them. You didn't have to drill any holes did you? How did you get a nut behind it?

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
That's probably my next move. I like where you mounted them. You didn't have to drill any holes did you? How did you get a nut behind it?
I'll be making a install video, hopefully by the end of December. I did drill two 1/8" holes. If this was a JK, you could use magnets to hold them up. But the JL hood is aluminum.

I really like the location of them, the cross direction of them really cuts down on shadows when working.

So basically what I did was remove the push pin on the corner of the hood insulation. Ran my wires through the hole of the insulation to hide them. Drilled a small 1/8" hole right above the push pin hole in the hood. Screwed in the light with the provided sheet metal screw in the 1/8" hole.

I also modified their harness and added in a plug from their switch. Then extended the wires a bit to make a cleaner install.

The switch I grabbed a stainless steel nut, I think it was a M6x1.00 and added it to the ground post with the switch bracket. The bracket is basically sandwiched between existing nut, and new one. The kit comes with the bracket and switch. I just went to Lowes and grabbed the SS Nut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites - Pictures / Videos Post Here! IMG_8932

Here is the modified harness I made. Completely not needed, just me going above and beyond.
Sponsored