Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
The power sliding top will have removable quarter glass, but what about the rear? Talk about a giant parachute with a mostly open cabin, but the rear glass down!
I noticed the same thing. Possible it is one big piece of tarp, from windshield to the tailgate door, so no more removable back window? which is some ways to me would be preferable, because that would mean my belief that it will end up like the renegade, with a bunch of tarp sitting over the cargo area, would be less likely, and more likely that it would go all the way back and sit behind the cage, and you just slide out the side windows manually.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If they'd just make the 3 piece hard top a 5 piece... Or 6...

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
No, he’s not talkin about just side impact airbags,, which are indeed standard now an come out of a pod at the side ofnthe seat instead of from within the seat itself.

However, he’s talking about the more recent full side curtain airbags, which don’t really have a good mounting point in a Wrangler.
We were discussing this in the side-curtain thread, and while it would be nice, there are additional chalenges from a vehicle that takes the doors and roof off, thus limiting the options for mounting points.

I don’t doubt they will eventually arrive in the Wrangler, but for now just side airbags as standard is an improvement, and from there add the next improvement, etc. I suspects wee see them around the 2020 timeframe, once they’ve moved beyond the launch concerns.
Will be interesting to see how Jeep adds full side curtain airbags. I can only assume there will be more pod like attachments to the seats but perhaps engineers will find a way to add them to the B pillar or safety bars. We'll see! For now adding a thick pad to the B pillar may help. I do often think about what would happen if I was hit from the side and my head bouncing off the belt buckle adjustment knob...lol.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Good lord, don't start THAT conversation up again!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
But what if when they said 3 piece "top" they only meant "roof" and maybe... the sides are now considered part of the body. That way the wording of "3 piece hard top" would still be accurate? ~~~ sarcasm here ~~~

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
But what if when they said 3 piece "top" they only meant "roof" and maybe... the sides are now considered part of the body. That way the wording of "3 piece hard top" would still be accurate? ~~~ sarcasm here ~~~
Stop teasing me!!!;):computerrage:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am surprised people thought that it might be fully removable. that thought never crossed my mind. Of all the other convertibles out there, are there any other ones that are motorized that are completely removable? And that is not being asked sarcastically, I am truly wondering. I had a couple convertibles in my life, a mustang and a Camaro, and I was never able to disconnect those and take them off completely that I am aware of.
While I can't speak for others Chuck, perhaps people's thoughts on removablilty came from the MySky technology currently available on some models of the Jeep Renegade.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What’s your point in posting that?

First, it’s made not sold after May 1st 2018 , yet there will be no JK made after that, so there wil be NO N.Am. JKs with stock backup cameras, just the new JLs.

In fact not only has this been discussed many times before here and eslewhere that you could’ve searched this in depth, FCA already addressed it in their September press launches.

Again, no stock Backup Camera for JKs except exports which have had them for years, backup camera will be standard on all JLs.

This isn’t new and has been discussed extensively before.. as any quick search would reaveal.
The point was to explain to a poster that despite the JK/JKU being sold as a 2018 model, it won't have a rear view camera standard in the States precisely for the reasons you mention--production on the model expires before the US rear view camera mandate comes into being.

Blame those who ask questions without research, not those who know their stuff but repeat it out of courtesy to newcomers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What do you guys think of the front seatback recline strap? (Page 46 Owner's Manual). I guess it will work just fine, but really seems odd to pull a strap to adjust the seat rather than pulling a lever like the JK. Plus that strap seems like it might get in the way.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
What do you guys think of the front seatback recline strap? (Page 46 Owner's Manual). I guess it will work just fine, but really seems odd to pull a strap to adjust the seat rather than pulling a lever like the JK. Plus that strap seems like it might get in the way.
I would get so triggered if something caught the strap and I lost my recline setting again and again

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
so I have a question on the directions for lowering the soft top that are in the user guide, specifically the language on pages 49-50. Is the soft top described in the user manual the same as the current soft tops, other than the sliding windows as opposed to the zippers? The instructions are talking about sliding the top down on a track, and about pushing down it to lock and unlock, and about latches. I have a 2010 JK and the top is nothing like the way this one is described, so I am wondering if all this is new or a carry over from a more recent JK than mine.

From the look in the picture, something I don't like about it. I think it is the way the frame is not laying flat, seems to be practically standing up, guess because it is on this rail the instructions are describing.
The new soft tops, at least from the leaked photos, are in the style of the BestTop TrekTop NX Glide. Since BestTop is one of the OEM suppliers, it stands to reason that is where the technology went to. They use rails instead of zippers and locks into the door frames. This is a change from the velcro and zipper and should make cold weather installation that much more tricky.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Still hating the square roll rage. It may drive me to find an older low milage tj.
Heh, one of the reasons I went and bought a 98 TJ with 50k on it (also because it had a 5.7 Hemi swap).

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
While I can't speak for others Chuck, perhaps people's thoughts on removablilty came from the MySky technology currently available on some models of the Jeep Renegade.
Well if that's true that that one is a motorized one that is completely removable then that makes sense people would expect that as a possibility. Like I said I didn't know of any but I learn new stuff all the time on this forum.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
So does anyone believer the dash shown in the owners manual is the real thing? I have to think it's just something used for the manual to represent a generic dash.
Sponsored