Sponsored

MetalCloak plate relocation. Am I asking too much.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So I picked up the rear bumper and relocation kit during their last sale. I really liked the look of both.

the bumper seems solid. The instructions make no mention of the backup sensors (though there are cutouts for them) and no mention of what to do with the factory license plate light. I guess I’ll just cut it off then use a heat shrink on the end of the wire and zip tie it somewhere.

The license plate bracket is built solid and looks good but the wiring is a complete $%#* show. The third brake light and license plate light you have to cut off the connectors and butt splice a bunch of wires together. The main wire it came with is grey and doesn’t even match and was only 2 feet long. None of the connectors are waterproof.
I ended up buying a new black 10ft three wire cable, heat shrink butt connectors and black wraps, and a waterproof wire connector so I can disconnect the wire to change the spare.
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-license-plate-adapter.html
Take a peek at these instructions and tell me if I’m being unreasonable.
Am I crazy or for $150 is it insane that this was not all wired ahead of time with quality water tight connectors?
The instructions also made zero sense.
Again maybe I’m asking too much but I heard this company was really good. If my Rock slide Engineering step slides came with a spool of wire, some non-water tight butt connectors, and told me to do all the wiring I’d probably have sent it back.
I thought these looked nice and sending stuff back seemed more trouble than it was worth so spent the day with a heat gun fixing the wiring.

This is my work fixing the wiring with heat shrink butt connectors covered with black shrink to make it all match. Note the wires for the brake and license light have to have the neutrals connected but weren’t long enough so had to extend them. 7 connectors in all. Then used a waterproof three wire connector. I think it came out well but I feel like this is how it should be sent.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak plate relocation.  Am I asking too much. 90632B12-C5C3-4984-87B4-39892A288A99
Sponsored

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We love metalcloak but personally don’t like a spare tire license plate mount so made this one. I understand your frustration on that for sure

Brett

0543F5D9-10AA-4F1F-BDC1-DDBC12C32465.jpeg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The picture on their site clearly shows a bunch of splice connectors and no long harness - so it seems you got what they advertise.

But to be honest all the plate relocates are pretty crappy wiring setups that leave a bunch to DIY. My LOD setup was like that as well.

But I enjoy wiring and looming so to me it was not an issue as I would have thrown out whatever harness they included and built my own with proper Deutsch connectors and tefzel wire.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
The picture on their site clearly shows a bunch of splice connectors and no long harness - so it seems you got what they advertise.

But to be honest all the plate relocates are pretty crappy wiring setups that leave a bunch to DIY. My LOD setup was like that as well.

But I enjoy wiring and looming so to me it was not an issue as I would have thrown out whatever harness they included and built my own with proper Deutsch connectors and tefzel wire.
Yeah. I agree. MetalCloak had everything on their site and it is pretty close to as advertised. One hollow bolt wasn’t hollow so the way they wanted it wired isn’t possible.

I was mostly just wondering if I was asking too much. Sounds like all the mount wrings are crap.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah. I agree. MetalCloak had everything on their site and it is pretty close to as advertised. One hollow bolt wasn’t hollow so the way they wanted it wired isn’t possible.

I was mostly just wondering if I was asking too much. Sounds like all the mount wrings are crap.
It's easier to learn to wire than to fabricate/weld ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.

I actually had no clue what type of connectors and wire to use. I went with what I could find on amazon. Thanks for posting those brands. If my work fails (very possible) I’ll look into those.

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
We love metalcloak but personally don’t like a spare tire license plate mount so made this one. I understand your frustration on that for sure

Brett

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak plate relocation.  Am I asking too much. 0543F5D9-10AA-4F1F-BDC1-DDBC12C32465
I really like this option. Do you sell these through Texas metal works? If so would you make one thats side mount instead of bottom mount? I want to use this with a bumper delete kit from rustys Offroad.

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD

Brett

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak plate relocation.  Am I asking too much. 0543F5D9-10AA-4F1F-BDC1-DDBC12C32465
Just saw you had the metalcloak rear bumper, how are you liking it? How did it hold up to the trails? Any potential for it to damage the body?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like this option. Do you sell these through Texas metal works? If so would you make one thats side mount instead of bottom mount? I want to use this with a bumper delete kit from rustys Offroad.
TMW is owned by one of my closest friends and he helps me come up with solutions to problems we run into all the time. He also has some great Jeep products.

I’m sure we can accommodate just about anything, however, we have the bottom mount ones ready to ship. They are cut on a laser and then powder coated

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just saw you had the metalcloak rear bumper, how are you liking it? How did it hold up to the trails? Any potential for it to damage the body?
We absolutely love it. Held up to all kinds of abuse from Moab and rubicon trail all the way to windrock this year. It’s dented, dinged and scraped up but that’s what it’s designed for. The way they built it, I can’t see how it could cause any body damage. The outside wings have great supports and if we could have torn it up, we would've by now. One of my favorite features is how protected the trailer plug is with it too. Very well thought out all the way around and looks good too.

brett
Sponsored