First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
what is the torque rating in all electric mode ? Will it crawl better than gas mode?
Sponsored

TopDown2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Zero requirement/benefit for advertising on the vehicle. This is a relic myth from the 80s and does not make the vehicle "100% business usage". Business usage is typically deduced from the percentage of miles taken on bona fide business-related activities. The section also doesn't require 100% business usage, only 50% - but the deduction must be taken at the business use percentage. Combine this with Section 168 bonus depreciation and you are good to go.

It may not be that simple, but it's not all that difficult either.
if you utilize tax code 179 you're forfeiting mileage deductions in the subsequent filing years you keep the vehicle. 179 is also a high audit item and requires daily logs of mileage to justify the huge deduction. According to my CPA, unless you manage a fleet of vehicles and make in the excess of six figures after deductions this is not the way to go. Mileage deductions are generally more advantageous anyway.

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Does anyone care to guess how much of a premium this 4XE option will cost. I won't be able to write anything off and in Canada there likely won't be any federal grants or tax incentives. I would like to get the option though.

jessebkr87

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
If the Jeep is just sitting there, can you run heat and lights off of the lithium battery? Or is it draining the 12v?

In "Battery Charge" mode, does the engine charge the pack while you drive? This is a key feature if Jeep wants this thing to have usefulness on the trail and at the campsite.

Is there one-pedal drive? (Regen to a complete stop?) I'm assuming no, or you probably would have noticed and mentioned it since it feels very different than a gas car to those not used to EVs. This is one of my favorite EV features, was hoping for it here.
The 12v is powered off the 400v battery via a dc/dc buck converter 400v->12v. So when the vehicle is in Run mode the contactors close and the 400v battery will charge up the 12v battery via the buck converter. If in ACC mode it will run solely off the 12v and possible to deplete it.
There indeed is a one pedal regeneration drive but it needs to be enabled in the settings.

And yes you can absolutely charge the battery with the engine while driving.
This almost answers a question I've been having on whether you could plug in and do a sort of camp mode. It seems like you could plug in, set the ignition to run, turn off the lights and other unnecessary accessories, and leave it like this all night. Can anyone confirm or deny this line of thinking? Thanks!

TopDown2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Does anyone care to guess how much of a premium this 4XE option will cost. I won't be able to write anything off and in Canada there likely won't be any federal grants or tax incentives. I would like to get the option though.
My guess is $8000 US

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
what is the torque rating in all electric mode ? Will it crawl better than gas mode?
Interesting questions. I think the 4xe's control SW will dictate the answer.

The three power sources are individually rated:
P1 (ESS - at front of engine) 44HP 31LbFt
P2(Traction - inside trans) 134HP 181LbFt
2.0L Turbo IC gas engine 270HP 295LbFt

P1 & P2 provide maximum output at zero speed, but the 2.0L has to spool up over 2000RPM to develop its max. Jeep rates the combination at 375HP 470LbFt. Of course real world output will be some combination of the the three which will depend upon SW.

I'd really like to see the 4xe's dyno output in both hybrid and electric modes. Hopefully that will be available within the next two months.

edit: corrected typo 181LbFt not 18!

Last edited:

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Having had both the 2016 V-6 and the 2019 L4t for some time I was ok when the V-6 left the stable. Having also had both generations of Volts and being 100% solar powered at home and the COOLTOYS TV studio, I am very intrigued by the 4xe. Keep in mind that the 25 mile electric range is an epa standard based on the idea that the batteries fade over time. Initially you should be able to break that number quite easily, after 3-5 years that should be normal and it will be less after that.

The first Volt had a 33 mile range and in 3 years, I used 44 gallons of gas. Second gen volt I used 14 gallons in three years with the 60 mile range but I did drive it from HB to Santa Clarita a couple times a month.

Weekends to the mountains and up the coast were reserved for the Jeep so that isn't a fair number if the 4Xe is your only car.

Since Covid and losing the sponsor, the Jeep money comes out of my pocket now, so the V-6 is gone. I have to say the only thing making me thing of a new Jeep is the 4xe. The L-4t JLU Sahara is great.

I even made a mini me from an Axial 1/24 Crawler

Mini me.jpg

Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, there shouldn't be a Premium for this ; basically new technology that the buyer is testing, providing data for. Offer it at entry pricing, watch it take off .
I don't really think this is "new tech". I have the L-4t mild hybrid, and Fiat has been testing this on the europeans for years. We got it late because gas is half price here.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
How are you going to take an electric Wrangler with tons of batteries in the undercarriage water fording? I’m not trying to hate I’m just seriously confused. Unless this Jeep is made for that portion of Wrangler owners that don’t off-road, which I’ve never understood. An electric Grand Cherokee, I get it. An electric Wrangler, has no use to me.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
How are you going to take an electric Wrangler with tons of batteries in the undercarriage water fording? I’m not trying to hate I’m just seriously confused. Unless this Jeep is made for that portion of Wrangler owners that don’t off-road, which I’ve never understood. An electric Grand Cherokee, I get it. An electric Wrangler, has no use to me.
The battery pack is under the rear seat, not in the undercarriage.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep claims same fjording capabilities. Admittedly I made my first trek into water over a foot deep just this past year in the "mild hybrid" which also has a water tight battery tub. The V6 JKU and previous jeeps never went over a foot deep. Normally if I was going that far into the back country I took my SR5 or F150 (both are gone now). Given how much crawling I have done in Jeeps over the years, I could go another five years and never get more than a foot deep in water. With the 4xe, I can still get way deep in the back country without worry.

Funny part is I didn't even think about how deep I was until someone said "isn't that the new hybrid one?". Maybe the deep water offers better battery cooling? We won't know for sure until a few people try it. ;-)

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
The battery pack is under the rear seat, not in the undercarriage.
The battery must not be very large then. It must have a very short range. I apologize I haven’t been following the news on electric wrangler. I just assume if it’s electric there has to be a place to store significant amounts of batteries, unless the range on a charge is lackluster.
Sponsored