Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off of the phone with Keith at Jeep Wave. He is a shift supervisor and he was great to talk to. So couple things. First, he did say that there are dealers that will deny service due to aftermarket parts. I feel 20 times better even though my Jeep has been at the dealer for a week.

So as mentioned in a previsous post, in my case, I upgraded the Firestone Destination MT from the factory 255/75/17 to the same extact tire in a 295/70/17 (33.3") on the factory Moab wheel. I also have the Synergy 1.75" spacers. No suspension has been done and everything else is facotry.

The dealer (Tuttle Click Irvine) has denied me due to the wheel spacers. Keith is going to try to get them to do the work for me tomorrow. Keith did said that there is a new update to the TSB which is version 3 that came out this past Friday, October 23. Does anyone have the ability to post a copy of the 3rd version?

Fellow diesel owners, he did say that the note on their internal paperwork did say that there will be a separate steering gear for our Jeeps and he said the notes say that the part won't be available as late as January 2021.
Sponsored

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I have a 2020 and this is my first Wrangler. The steering has some play and doesn't re-center itself but not at a level that makes me feel unsafe or I can't drive.

Is it worth having the steering box replaced since I plan on owning it for a long time and if the new one is an improvement? Besides bad workmanship - any concerns doing it?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Keith did said that there is a new update to the TSB which is version 3 that came out this past Friday, October 23. Does anyone have the ability to post a copy of the 3rd version?

Fellow diesel owners, he did say that the note on their internal paperwork did say that there will be a separate steering gear for our Jeeps and he said the notes say that the part won't be available as late as January 2021.
From a reputable source - Rev.C (3rd) references part number for diesel.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 and this is my first Wrangler. The steering has some play and doesn't re-center itself but not at a level that makes me feel unsafe or I can't drive.

Is it worth having the steering box replaced since I plan on owning it for a long time and if the new one is an improvement? Besides bad workmanship - any concerns doing it?
If not bad you have plenty of time to get replaced under warranty.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic

I said I was going to wait as well since my steering wasn’t bad. Someone here told me to get it done quickly before it gets too hard to order parts. I followed his advice and I’m glad I did. I figure as more people learn about the tsb, FCA might get stingier with the parts and make it harder for people to get.

I thought my JL steered great, small dead spot but no problem until I started driving it long distance in the heat. An hour and a half into my drive on a hot day I was nervously trying to avoid side swiping cars on the curvy freeway. Every single time.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
The dealer (Tuttle Click Irvine) has denied me due to the wheel spacers. Keith is going to try to get them to do the work for me tomorrow. Keith did said that there is a new update to the TSB which is version 3 that came out this past Friday, October 23. Does anyone have the ability to post a copy of the 3rd version?
First, stay safe out there in Irvine.

Second, denial due to wheel spacers...cmon man. Did they explain their reasoning...wheels stick out more therefore causing increased stress on the axle...or not factory spec so unable to reproduce problem as reported by the TSB.

The issue is they just don’t want to do the work. Jeep will reimburse them easily, so it’s not a warranty issue. They don’t even report what mods are on the jeep when they send back the paperwork.

I’ve got aftermarket wheels on my Jeep that stick out about 3” more than the stock wheels. SA had no issues and even complemented me on my Jeep.

Can you take the spacers off and try another dealer...doubt the first dealer coded your Jeep or anything but I’m sure there’s notes in the system.

Hope Jeep Cares can take care of you.

Roadkill

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Freedom Edition

Jeff,

I was in your exact shoes and decide to have my local dealer order the parts for me anyway.

Findlay Jeep in Post Falls, Idaho took great care of me. They ordered the parts (all of them to include bolts), notified me about 2 weeks later of their arrival, scheduled an appointment and even paid for Enterprise to get me into a rental since all of the dealer rentals were unavailable.

As unhappy as I was for Enterprise to put me in a minivan, it actually served as a good comparison to something that drives dang near effortlessly.

When I picked the Jeep up later that day, it drove like the minivan! I am still shocked at how well it drives now, it's AMAZING.

To anyone thinking if you should do it or not, DO IT!

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
First, stay safe out there in Irvine.

Second, denial due to wheel spacers...cmon man. Did they explain their reasoning...wheels stick out more therefore causing increased stress on the axle...or not factory spec so unable to reproduce problem as reported by the TSB.

The issue is they just don’t want to do the work. Jeep will reimburse them easily, so it’s not a warranty issue. They don’t even report what mods are on the jeep when they send back the paperwork.

I’ve got aftermarket wheels on my Jeep that stick out about 3” more than the stock wheels. SA had no issues and even complemented me on my Jeep.

Can you take the spacers off and try another dealer...doubt the first dealer coded your Jeep or anything but I’m sure there’s notes in the system.

Hope Jeep Cares can take care of you.
Thanks Gene! You heard about the fires all the way out in MD? I work for the city of Lake Forest and my facility (Lake Forest Sports Park) was on call to be a evac center if needed. The fires were less than I mile from me. Super crazy scary. I worked 18 hours yesterday.

I think this dealer is one of those one that won't do the work if you have any after market anything on it. Its ok, I know CDJR in Tustin just down the road has completed the fix for a few people. I'll pull those spacers off in 15 minutes if thats what they need. Its a total joke. The Jeep Wave supervisor Keith was in my corner but he said he can't force a dealership to do the work because they are all indepedtly owned. Anyway, I'll know one way or another tomorrow. Will update you guys when I know more.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Thanks Gene! You heard about the fires all the way out in MD? I work for the city of Lake Forest and my facility (Lake Forest Sports Park) was on call to be a evac center if needed. The fires were less than I mile from me. Super crazy scary. I worked 18 hours yesterday.

I think this dealer is one of those one that won't do the work if you have any after market anything on it. Its ok, I know CDJR in Tustin just down the road has completed the fix for a few people. I'll pull those spacers off in 15 minutes if thats what they need. Its a total joke. The Jeep Wave supervisor Keith was in my corner but he said he can't force a dealership to do the work because they are all indepedtly owned. Anyway, I'll know one way or another tomorrow. Will update you guys when I know more.
Well, I’m in Colorado now...just updated that. I travel, well used to travel pre-COVID, every month to California so I keep tabs on things out there.

Just dropped my Jeep off at the dealer for the rear diff fix. They’re going to check on my steering as well...they did the TSB fox two weeks ago. Steering pump is a bit louder and it has the notch feeling on initial turn to the right. It drives straight now, so that’s a plus.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

Definite YES. There was some loose play before as shown in the vid. After the TSB the loose play firmed up and is now almost all eliminated. Do check that your fluid level has not dropped as our did. We will get that filled back up. Otherwise as long as the install is done correctly and nothing else is wrong with your components - your steering feel should be improved.

What was amazing was all the bs nonsense spread in other thread posts and vids saying that really crap steering was a “Jeep thing” and just get over it. This TSB plus the previous damper recall have so far done the job for us. JL steers dead straight with zero veering - hands off and tires filled to 37 psi. Really steers quite excellent now as shown.

Jeep is punished very heavily on deep potholed and deep rutted FSRs at full speed. Rubicon suspension allows you to easily haul ass on that as it floats beautifully when aired down to 18.

Last edited:

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

After a few weeks since having it done, I continue to be very pleased with the improvement the TSB has made to the steering on my 2019 JLS. I have been running the stock Goodyear Wranglers a little on the soft side, so today I tried a little experiment.

I aired up to the door sticker-recommended 36 PSI, at a cold ambient temp of about 55 degrees F. Later in the day, after several miles of driving, and an increase in the ambient temp to 75 degrees F, the tires were running about 41 PSI. My JLS continued to track straight and true, including a stint at about 70 mph.

The TSB has definitely improved my steering! :like:

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
I just picked my Jeep up yesterday evening after the dealership replaced the steering box. It honestly drives much better now. I know I’ve seen it mentioned before about people’s radio presets being reset afterwards. Mine were not. Is it possible that they didn’t update to the new software that goes along with the new box? Thanks guys!

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Hey guys! just received a call from the dealer that my steering box and parts are in and have an appointment tomorrow at 10:45 for install. Hope everything works out ok, and from what I have read it should. I"m also having the complete steersmarts (Track bar, tie rod, drag link and
stabilizer installed by Track and Trail in Ormand Beach. I will update after install and test drive.
Sponsored