Rollbar mounted cargo shelf

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Looking for a rear cargo shelf that mounts to the rollbar, I want something that you can leave in with the hardtop on or off. I looked at the vector but don't want to spend that much. What other options are out there that don't mount with the hardtop bolts?? Thanks.
Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
IMG_3854.jpg
IMG_3857.jpg
Looking for a rear cargo shelf that mounts to the rollbar, I want something that you can leave in with the hardtop on or off. I looked at the vector but don't want to spend that much. What other options are out there that don't mount with the hardtop bolts?? Thanks.
I've used this configuration in a TJ, JK, and JL and it works well in my 2DR with the back seat out. You should be able to configure to a 4dr easily. It's two wire shelf pieces 60" long zip tied together to make a 16" wide shelf, you can adjust any size from 12" to 24" if you like. Capped the ends with pipe insulation and supported the bottom with 2 shelf brackets zip tied in 4 locations underneath to prevent sagging; they are sold next to the shelving. Simple, sturdy, easily removed and or disassembled, adjustable. 60" fits snug with the pipe insulation. also large zip tied from the back for extra security. I lined it with tool box liner that is 16" wide for non slip surface. All your "stuff" can easily be secured via bungee cords to the front and back lips on the shelf-all for about $25

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
That’s looks interesting. How do you physically attach it to the Jeep? Or is it just sorta wedged in? Does it move around at all?

Last edited:

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
That’s looks interesting. How do you physically attach it to the Jeep? Or is it just sorta wedged in? Does it move around at all?
Keep the length to 60" and the pipe insulation will hold it snug. Since I use it off-road I also attached the back of the shelf to the roll bar (big wide white zip tie shown in photo) and if you want secure it to the hardtop bolt near the center of the shelf. I also used a small strip of pipe insulation at the rear where the shelf would touch the plastic near the seat belt. It's very stable-much more so if you use the brackets under the shelf to keep it from sagging. I have also done a version with the back seat installed set at about 12" wide and it works well also. Since it's adjustable from 12" to about 24" you can customize it to your specifications. With the seat out you can store a ton of stuff on and under the shelf and get to it from the front or back fairly easy. Also two Med sized suitcases will standup side by side behind the shelf and the glass and gate closes easily. I've been using this setup for more than 20 years from Ga cross country 2-3 times a year. Most of the time I just leave it in, but it comes out easily in about 5 min. Note: move the passenger seat all the way up with and the back tilted as if you were going to get into the back seat. This give you just enough room to put the shelves in from the rear (collapsed to 12"). once they are in you can adjust to your desired width and secure. Be careful not to scratch your back side windows if you don't have the foam on before the install. - Works easily with a soft or hard top.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
IMG_3854.jpg
IMG_3857.jpg

I've used this configuration in a TJ, JK, and JL and it works well in my 2DR with the back seat out. You should be able to configure to a 4dr easily. It's two wire shelf pieces 60" long zip tied together to make a 16" wide shelf, you can adjust any size from 12" to 24" if you like. Capped the ends with pipe insulation and supported the bottom with 2 shelf brackets zip tied in 4 locations underneath to prevent sagging; they are sold next to the shelving. Simple, sturdy, easily removed and or disassembled, adjustable. 60" fits snug with the pipe insulation. also large zip tied from the back for extra security. I lined it with tool box liner that is 16" wide for non slip surface. All your "stuff" can easily be secured via bungee cords to the front and back lips on the shelf-all for about $25

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg
That’s ingenious. Nice work.

Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
This is an old thread.....but I am also looking for a good cargo shelf that attaches to the Roll Bar. I have a Sky one touch.....and a few models say that it will not work with the Sky 1. I have seen two models made by DeeZee that have a nice bracket system to attach two deck options to those brackets. (the Brackets would be a good DIY option for a mount).

They have a very confusing website.....but the product looks pretty good. Can buy through Quadratec for less than their site. Also they will not ship to AZ? Still shopping.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
I bought a DeeZee cargo Shelf off a site on E-Bay. I wanted a roll bar mounted shelf that was removable for hauling bulky stuff. It shipped direct from DeeZee in IA (whom would not take an order from AZ on their site ??). I think it was cheaper via E-Bay than other places. I paid about $275 for this complete (with "free" shipping). A fair value when compared with others.

Kinda difficult to understand via their sales information......but after a time I came to understand their offering. You do need to buy the roll bar mount and the shelf affair under two different part numbers (as they evidently fit other models with the same set up). Anyway........I got the cargo shelf and correct bracket quite quickly and was quite impressed with the quality of this shelf. It's a bit cumbersome to assemble.....but it's quite straightforward and very versatile. I measured 20.5" gap under my shelf when it's installed.

It would be easy to remove this shelf in order to haul some bulky items. Now I have a spot to easily access my fold-up chairs, coats and other light gear which is stowed on top of this shelf. Quite happy with this affair. No loss of vision for me out the back window. My tools and trail gear fit nicely under the shelf......as well as my big cooler. Also safer with the shelf keeping some of the "heavies" from flying about should a bad happen. Wish I had a better pic for you. I'd buy this again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rollbar mounted cargo shelf DeeZee Shelf.JPG

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I bought a DeeZee cargo Shelf off a site on E-Bay. I wanted a roll bar mounted shelf that was removable for hauling bulky stuff. It shipped direct from DeeZee in IA (whom would not take an order from AZ on their site ??). I think it was cheaper via E-Bay than other places. I paid about $275 for this complete (with "free" shipping). A fair value when compared with others.

Kinda difficult to understand via their sales information......but after a time I came to understand their offering. You do need to buy the roll bar mount and the shelf affair under two different part numbers (as they evidently fit other models with the same set up). Anyway........I got the cargo shelf and correct bracket quite quickly and was quite impressed with the quality of this shelf. It's a bit cumbersome to assemble.....but it's quite straightforward and very versatile. I measured 20.5" gap under my shelf when it's installed.

It would be easy to remove this shelf in order to haul some bulky items. Now I have a spot to easily access my fold-up chairs, coats and other light gear which is stowed on top of this shelf. Quite happy with this affair. No loss of vision for me out the back window. My tools and trail gear fit nicely under the shelf......as well as my big cooler. Also safer with the shelf keeping some of the "heavies" from flying about should a bad happen. Wish I had a better pic for you. I'd buy this again.

sorry I missed this thread. For everyone that comes here for ideas, this is what we use!

Excellent all the way around

brett

https://texasmetalworks.com/product-category/jeep-accessories/

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport

Link or description?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Link or description?

Here you go.....but be sure to do the research and find the roll bar brackets for the JL. You will need two SKUs to have the complete deal. I think the brackets are about $40.....and actually they could be used alone with a sheet of plywood and a couple of stiffeners......and you could save some real dough......If your that kinda guy.

The DeeZee roll bar mounts are very clean and model specific. Remove two pieces of plastic trim from the roll bar.....attach bracket with provided screws, and I remounted the plastic trim after grinding the relief area from the trim on my abrasive grinder. Nice, very neat and not a buncha excess metal, etc. I think the shelf is rated to about 200 lbs......and my coolers and tools and totes will fit under the shelf. Lots to like for an affordable price. I'd buy this over the others I researched.

https://www.ebay.com/p/21037168027

Last edited:

Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When I was doing my research......I noted that a few brands did not work with the Sky One-Touch Roof - which I have on my rig. Hard to know why these racks would not be compatible with the Sky One Touch??? Others didnt work with soft stops. Do your homework.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Keep the length to 60" and the pipe insulation will hold it snug. Since I use it off-road I also attached the back of the shelf to the roll bar (big wide white zip tie shown in photo) and if you want secure it to the hardtop bolt near the center of the shelf. I also used a small strip of pipe insulation at the rear where the shelf would touch the plastic near the seat belt. It's very stable-much more so if you use the brackets under the shelf to keep it from sagging. I have also done a version with the back seat installed set at about 12" wide and it works well also. Since it's adjustable from 12" to about 24" you can customize it to your specifications. With the seat out you can store a ton of stuff on and under the shelf and get to it from the front or back fairly easy. Also two Med sized suitcases will standup side by side behind the shelf and the glass and gate closes easily. I've been using this setup for more than 20 years from Ga cross country 2-3 times a year. Most of the time I just leave it in, but it comes out easily in about 5 min. Note: move the passenger seat all the way up with and the back tilted as if you were going to get into the back seat. This give you just enough room to put the shelves in from the rear (collapsed to 12"). once they are in you can adjust to your desired width and secure. Be careful not to scratch your back side windows if you don't have the foam on before the install. - Works easily with a soft or hard top.

Awesome idea and design. Questions:
Can you be more specific about the shelf brackets that you used underneath to keep the structure from sagging?
Do they go all the way across?
Are they also supported by the side ridges where you have your T-nuts located?
Not sure what these 'shelf brackets' are ?
Thanks !!

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Awesome idea and design. Questions:
Can you be more specific about the shelf brackets that you used underneath to keep the structure from sagging?
Do they go all the way across?
Are they also supported by the side ridges where you have your T-nuts located?
Not sure what these 'shelf brackets' are ?
Thanks !!
I'm doing this from memory since I sold that Jeep and bought a 4dr so I can pull a camper...yep said I'd never buy a 4 dr...anyway....The brackets suppports are the shelf hanger pieces that you would screw into the wall to attach the "arms" to hold the shelves if you were installing shelving on a wall. They are U shaped about a half inch "tall" and won't bend so they keep the shelf in the Jeep from sagging with weight. I used one in the front and one in the back zip tied underneath the shelf every 4-5 inches. They are about an inch on each side short of the total length. As I recall the shelf sat on the edge next to the T-nuts and were secured the pipe insulation foam "caps" and fit snug enough that it wouldn't slide left or right. I may have ziptied it to a T-nut just in case. The support pieces underneath do not fit on that edge because the shelf wouldn't fit flat and are there only to keep it from sagging in the center. I also used one of those BIG zip ties to secure the rear of the shelf to the rollbar to keep the shelf from sliding forward in case of an abrupt stop. I hope this helps. It was one of those design as you go things and as I say, I'm doing this from memory. Also I remember I cut the shelf about an inch too short the first time and it wouldn't rest on the edge....I didn't measure twice (-: