Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've noticed an unusual behavior in my steering:

My steering wheel is perfectly centered, but it takes a while to "recenter" after a left turn. Let's say I make a 90 degree left turn. Once the Jeep is heading straight again, the steering wheel will stay at the 11am position for a while (like 100 yards +) before coming back to full center. Doesn't happen every time, but it does most of the time, and I haven't noticed the same behavior after right turns.
Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Mine does the same but for right hand turns. If I am not going slow, I have to manually pull it back to center to avoid driving up a curb. Does not happen on left hand turns. I plan on returning to the dealer to address.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
This is a characteristic of vehicles with low caster, and increasing the caster will help the self-centering effect. Check out the Mopar lift lower control arms for a factory style way to increase the caster.

Think of it like a refrigerator door: Geometry & gravity work together to bring the door shut. Caster & offset (actually scrub radius) have the same effect on centering the steering after turning.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I notice the same thing with left and right turns. Lots of 90 degree turns living in a city grid and sometimes I feel stupid because I oversteered going 10mph. Still takes getting used to.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This is a characteristic of vehicles with low caster, and increasing the caster will help the self-centering effect. Check out the Mopar lift lower control arms for a factory style way to increase the caster.

Think of it like a refrigerator door: Geometry & gravity work together to bring the door shut. Caster & offset (actually scrub radius) have the same effect on centering the steering after turning.
Just to be clear, the vehicle is tracking dead straight but the steering wheel takes 100s of yards to recenter itself. Happens every other left turn. Never on the right.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicons come out of the factory straddling the lower end of the happy caster range. Plenty have had positive results just by replacing the front lower control arms with a set of those that come with the Mopar lift kit. They are available separately for about $60-70.

Or better yet, an adjustable pair from a reputable manufacturer, like Metalcloak or Rock Krawler.
Sponsored