First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys, 2022 JL Willys Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hi everyone got a question about the rpm. Usually, I will gently release the clutch, not really fast. When I do the daily drive, I always let my RPM stays around 3,000 then shift, But I noticed that only from first gear to second gear the car would be shaking, and the RPM is around 1,400. I know that means the gear and rpm are not matched. But when I do the same on second to third, my Jeep is chill. Did I do something wrong like I should release the clutch faster? Or this is not normal. Willing to listen to every advice, thank you all.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i dont run a stick, but i'm guessing that 1st and 2nd are shorter / low gears. on the 8 spd auto the first 2 gears are quick in shifting.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This V6 loves to rev. Don’t be afraid to shift at higher RPM levels.

Regarding the rest, try different RPM points and clutch speeds until you learn this vehicle.

There are so many variables to it like how fast is your momentum going into each shift, etc. Just like every snowflake is different, It’s like each shift is unique to its set of variables and conditions.

If the car is shaking, I’d guess you are shifting too soon, or letting the clutch out too slow, or both, or something else entirely!

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This V6 loves to rev. Don’t be afraid to shift at higher RPM levels.

Regarding the rest, try different RPM points and clutch speeds until you learn this vehicle.

There are so many variables to it like how fast is your momentum going into each shift, etc. Just like every snowflake is different, It’s like each shift is unique to its set of variables and conditions.

If the car is shaking, I’d guess you are shifting too soon, or letting the clutch out too slow, or both, or something else entirely!
Thanks for sharing, but I got one question about release clutch, like I said, I released the clutch smoothly and gently, but someone told me: As long as you Jeep is on speed around 20mile, you can release the clutch faster. Is this correct or it's not suit for our Jeep.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I’ve noticed the spacing between gears 1-2-3 is a lot more significant than other manual cars I’ve owned in the past. I’m still getting used to the tall gearing myself. I do find me revving 1st out a bit more so the drop to 2nd is not so low. You might be better off taking 1st to 3500 or 4K before shifting to 2nd. Same with 2nd to 3rd.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Your concern about releasing the clutch quicker may be valid when the gearing is not so spread out. For smoother engagement between 1-2-3 I find releasing the clutch a little slower so that it can match engine revs easier since there is such a large drop in the lower gears.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I'll feather the clutch going into 1st. After that I work it like I'm trying to kill a spider; stomp, stomp, stomp.

If I'm cruising around, I'll shift without the clutch.

* JL not a stick but have had plenty. Driving a manual is like breathing.

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’ve noticed the spacing between gears 1-2-3 is a lot more significant than other manual cars I’ve owned in the past. I’m still getting used to the tall gearing myself. I do find me revving 1st out a bit more so the drop to 2nd is not so low. You might be better off taking 1st to 3500 or 4K before shifting to 2nd. Same with 2nd to 3rd.
Thanks man, I will try 3500~4000 hope my baby is not shaking ass again

albertvank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have been driving my JLUR 6 speed for a week now, my first Wrangler. I love everything about it but one thing, the shaking between 1 and 2 gear. I have driven manual cars for my entire life (I was born and raised in Italy, now live in Houston). I am at the point that I sort of regret going for a manual...

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I will take the RPMs up a bit more for 1st gear especially because the RPMs seem to drop faster in low gears. If you don't take the RPMs up enough, or take your time shifting between gears, the RPMs drop fast and you'll be letting the clutch out around 1000-1500 RPMs, which will cause the shaking you mentioned.

So I would say either run the RPMs up higher, or shift quicker.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Drop the clutch every gear... it's good for it. It may not seem like it but you want it to grab hard every shift. Anything else is decreasing the life of the clutch. Also, shifting at 3500rpm is nothing for this motor, it loves to rev.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The change in ratio is the highest between 1 and 2. You need to let the revs drop close to 1.3k before its matched to 2nd. If you shift at 3k rpm then when you are in second the rpm is clos to 1.5kish. You probably just need to wait longer to release the clutch from 1st to 2nd.

There is no shifting quick in this Jeep. I have 40k miles on this manual trans and you can definitely shift smooth through every gear. I literally just need to wait like over a second between 1st and 2nd gear.

shadyInCA

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S, Toyota MR2 Spyder, Kia Sorrento, Newmar Baystar Sport
When I was learning to drive in England, one of the most useful pieces of advice I was given, was to not look at the rev counter at all when changing gears. Just "feel it" - although that should probably be, "hear it"

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
When I was learning to drive in England, one of the most useful pieces of advice I was given, was to not look at the rev counter at all when changing gears. Just "feel it" - although that should probably be, "hear it"
The JL manual is geared much differently. The 6 speed in the jeep with a 4.10 rear gear is hard to use that analogy. The first to second shift is pretty extreme (thanks toyota/aisin). If they had more closer geared 1/2 and 2/3 with one less overdrive I'd be very happy. Would I ever give up the 5.13 first gear?? Hell no!!

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have been driving my JLUR 6 speed for a week now, my first Wrangler. I love everything about it but one thing, the shaking between 1 and 2 gear. I have driven manual cars for my entire life (I was born and raised in Italy, now live in Houston). I am at the point that I sort of regret going for a manual...
I feel the same buddy, that's why I am opening any suggestion to figure this out
Sponsored