Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I Google “Jeep Snobbery” this is the 3rd image that pops up!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1603718413892

It is like I’m staring straight into a mirror...

:surprised::lipssealed::angel:
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

tgsanford

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Much the same here. I’m 51 and never had a Jeep of any make or model. We became empty nesters and wanted a Wrangler. Did our homework and decided on a Sport. It was right for us and we love it. I don’t give two craps what others think. I paid cash for a brand new Sport and the wife and I love it. I also love the ‘community’ of fellow drivers.
I'm 58 & never had a Jeep (any model) bout to take delivery of a 21 sport. First snobbery I noticed was sharing with some of my friends, and none of them have ever had a Jeep either. "you should have gotten a Rubicon". I asked why & the response was "cause they are badass". I did my homework & got the right model for me & I'll likely never see anything more than snow & a gravel road with it.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of you folks that have experienced "snobbery" about your Jeep, been turned away from a trail run b/c you didn't have the "required" (I put it in quotes b/c often times the trail leader will dictate equipment) equipment?

Has anyone with a Rubicon been turned away for the same reason (usually someone requiring 1T axles and at least 39s)?

Just wondering.......
I have been on trail runs where someone showed up with no lockers, no LSD, no 31-inch tires or no clue, but never saw anyone be turned away.

We made sure to scorn the offender and allowed him to tag along with everyone watching that he didn't fall behind. Placing him in the middle of the line usually ensures that no one is left behind.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Here you go.

1603711571940.png

1603711600998.png

1603711622369.png

Thank you

Edit, sorry for the straight razor restart. I was out Jeeping for 4 days and did not realize that the thread had changed again.
the razor on top, the JR Torrey razor, with the green scales, is a usable razor in good enough shape to be honed and used. The one on the bottom is pretty worn out. It could be honed, but is more of a wall hanger.
I have several J.R.Torrey razors, and they are usually made well.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Seen people turned away....but never have done that as a trip leader.
A few years back this young guy shows up in a 35 year old Toyota pickup. He had paid $900 for it the week before. He wanted to see what the truck was capable of. He brought his gf along; she didn't look amused.

He kept telling us how he had replaced all the hoses and belts and the truck was running like new. In any event, later in the afternoon we go down this v-shaped chute where you need to straddle the walls with your tires. An older Jeeper goes in front to spot him. I never liked the lines he picked. This time I still didn't like the lines he was picking for the young Toyota driver but, hey, I wasn't doing the spotting so I kept quiet.

Sure enough, a few minutes go by, the driver side gets too high up the wall and the passenger side drops to the bottom of the v-shaped chute; the truck settles on its side. The driver side then lifts up in the air as if the Toyota is about to roll on its side. We all hold our breath as the Toyota hangs in the balance for a few seconds; gravity wins and the Toyota lands back on its wheels.

Turns out he forgot to replace the tires. The old, dried rubber didnt stand a chance and they gave in as the Toyota landed; all tires lose the little air they had and even came off their beads. He didn't bring a spare.

The gf had to crawl out the window; she went from pale to rage... but kept quiet.

After a few attempts to straighten the truck, we winched him out of on its side so the rest of us could get through. We tried in vain to remount the tires onto the rims. As it got dark, the old fellow who spotted him offered to load up the four wheels and tires into his Jeep, take the guy and his gf to the gas station several miles away at the base of the mountain, remount the tires and bring them back to mount the wheels back onto the Toyota. I had to head back home, but I heard they were there until midnight.

WTF happened?!?!
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1603766481007

Still early in the day and all smiles
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1603766340512

We winched the poor truck on its side; surprisingly it took little body damage
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 1603766383882

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just wait until Jeep introduces a Wrangler with 20-INCH WHEELS and LOW-PROFILE TIRES!

Oops! Never mind. Too late...

;) :LOL: :angel:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
They are limited in some aspects and excel in others...just like every other rig out there.
Yea, that's really what it comes down to. I love my 4-door doing oversand stuff. I'd probably feel a little more nervous in a 2-door doing deep sand, to be honest. I like having the longer wheelbase for that kind of stuff, though not sure if that's just my personal feelings or if it actually helps.

I don't get the snobbery in my local area, though. Most of the "offroading" directly around here is just mud pits and stuff like that - very little rock crawling. If you go a bit further, you get to Rausch Creek, which is obviously awesome and more accepting in general, but not directly local to me.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I don't look down on anyone for not buying a Rubicon. A different trim level is a better option for many people. I am however kinda snobby when I see a Rubicon with 20+" rims that wont ever leave pavement. I dont get why someone would spend the extra $$ and not use any of the features at all. Is it just for a decal and a cooler looking hood? To each his own though. Spend your money the way you want.

Have any of you folks that have experienced "snobbery" about your Jeep, been turned away from a trail run b/c you didn't have the "required" (I put it in quotes b/c often times the trail leader will dictate equipment) equipment?

Has anyone with a Rubicon been turned away for the same reason (usually someone requiring 1T axles and at least 39s)?

Just wondering.......
Some of the events I have done would not allow me to sign up online until I lied about tire size. My XJ has a 4.5" long arm and locker up front but the stock JK Rubi tire/wheel setup I had at the time was too small. Had to say they were 33s to sign up. Walked that thing up the toughest lines that the built JKs had a hard time with. Great wheelbase + lightweight + lots of clearance does wonders.

I get it though...If you are trying to get a large group of people down a tough trail, it gets annoying always having to wait on the same person to be winched up multiple obstacles or have to make repairs. Requiring large tires and/or axles for a trail just reduces the chance of that short trail run becoming an all day and night event.
Sponsored