First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
USAF Retired
Not sure if any of you have seen this it not. Happened in Colorado at Black Bear Pass about 11 days ago. The guy that filmed it was extremely lucky that he wasn’t right where the other Jeep came down the mountain. Some interesting info below the video for reading. Being able to communicate with others is a must when you out in the mountains. I believe that saved his life.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Wow, that is just a scary video.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was on the trail 3 days before this happened. I had more concern of a rockslide coming down one of the bare avalanche chutes than the tight switch back turns. Crazy seeing this video of a Wrangler tumbling down one. Blowns my mind.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
A short clip from this video made it on to the CBS Evening News last night (Saturday). They didn't mention the specific location (but I knew from this forum!).

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just because the rig is capable, doesn’t mean the driver is. Stay within your means. There is no way this should have happened. Period. That type of Jeep has done it thousands of times. That is sadly driver error and wheeling way beyond your means.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just because the rig is capable, doesn’t mean the driver is. Stay within your means. There is no way this should have happened. Period. That type of Jeep has done it thousands of times. That is sadly driver error and wheeling way beyond your means.
IMO, this isn’t a case of wheeling beyond your means. The driver exited his Jeep and set the parking brake. The brake gave way while he was going to spot another vehicle and began to roll. He attempted to get back in and stop the Jeep but was unsuccessful.

This is more an issue of ensuring your vehicle is operating as designed prior to hitting the trail (pre wheeling checks). Unfortunately, it doesn’t change the outcome but it doesn’t appear to be an error while wheeling. I suppose it’s semantics but, from what I’ve read, it was the rig that wasn’t capable.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In the Old Days, when I took my CJs off road, I carried a rubber wheel chock, with a light line attached. Exit vehicle, chock wheel. When ready to leave, move just enough to free chock, give a good yank, and it boated itself nicely.
After seeing that video, back to those Basics...

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
In the Old Days, when I took my CJs off road, I carried a rubber wheel chock, with a light line attached. Exit vehicle, chock wheel. When ready to leave, move just enough to free chock, give a good yank, and it boated itself nicely.
After seeing that video, back to those Basics...
I think ima get me a chock and a line thanks for the technique!!
Sponsored