Muffler delete...question

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Why pay a couple hundred for the pipe instead of just hacking off before the muffler and leaving it as that? It's turned down, it's opposite the gas tank. It's out of the way.

I must be missing something.
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
The exhaust exits under the body and could enter the passenger area while at idle or traveling at low speeds. It's much harder to gas yourself with the new low emission autos but still a possibility. BTW I really like my muffler delete.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Two reasons:
  1. I’d be concerned with drone. V6 engines are notorious for drone. I have no idea what the 2.0T sounds without a muffler, but I doubt it’d be pretty. Manufacturers spend a great deal of time and effort doing very precise testing to get the engine sound just right. You can make it louder, but you can also open a Pandora’s box in the process
  2. Fumes. Depending where you hack off the exhaust pipe, you could have fumes enter the cabin, with potentially terrible consequences

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The pipe is only $100, some don't care for the tone, I'm fine w/ it. If I had the 4dr I'd probably add that Magnaflow short muffler in between the resonator midpipe and the Dynomax.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The tone of the V6 is not the best. But it sounds a lot better than it did on JK. Or I should say: I can hear it less than I did on my JKs.

I still have to hear a mainstream V6 that sounds great, though.

I had a Mopar CAI on my JKs precisely to drown out the engine sound. I don’t have to do that with this JL, though; I can barely hear the engine as it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Gasses in cabin I hadn't considered. I knew there had to be something. Doesn't seem high risk for my situation...I may try it. I can always buy the delete pipe later.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I deleted the muffler and the sound with nothing added was nice, a little Civic-y, but nice. It had a lot of sound at the low end and the drone wasn't terrible. I got the 100$ pipe after I noticed how hot the rear cubby got and how much it vibrated the rear tub. My dogs HATED it in the back because of the noise, vibration, and heat. I felt bad and figured there was fumes in there as well. After adding the pipe, it removes a lot of the low end noise, but keeps a nice little pseudo civic exhaust sound that honestly sounds nice to me. The tub really doesn't vibrate much and the cubby isn't nearly as hot now.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I deleted the muffler and the sound with nothing added was nice, a little Civic-y, but nice. It had a lot of sound at the low end and the drone wasn't terrible. I got the 100$ pipe after I noticed how hot the rear cubby got and how much it vibrated the rear tub. My dogs HATED it in the back because of the noise, vibration, and heat. I felt bad and figured there was fumes in there as well. After adding the pipe, it removes a lot of the low end noise, but keeps a nice little pseudo civic exhaust sound that honestly sounds nice to me. The tub really doesn't vibrate much and the cubby isn't nearly as hot now.
Did you cut the pipe to leave a downturn, or have it going straight back?

I found this, similar to what I was thinking.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'm thinking at minimum a turn down is needed. The factory pipe flattens, so it's maybe not ideal. Buying a turndown and a clamp puts me too close to the $100 options...so I either cut, or go to the kits I guess. Short term it may not be bad like you did, but long term I would want it directed away.

Appreciate the comments, my question is solved. May as well drop for an axle back kit.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I still have to hear a mainstream V6 that sounds great, though.
The 3.7 VQ in the Infiniti G line and Nissan Z sound pretty smooth (not V8 great but deifintely a nice tone throughout the rpm range), especially w/ a quality catback.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
The 3.7 VQ in the Infiniti G line and Nissan Z sound pretty smooth (not V8 great but deifintely a nice tone throughout the rpm range), especially w/ a quality catback.

I traded my Z on the JLUR. It wasn't a bad sounding engine, but not a sound I want on the Jeep.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Just buy the Dynomax pipe, I know I've spent more on beer on a road trip.
Ordered it last night after the discussion. Big factor for me wasn't the cost, but if there was value. I decided it wasn't worth $100 to spend time dealing with it when I can buy something easy.