Sponsored

Picking a Wrangler...could use some help.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My advice would be to take your time, figure out what you truly want to do with your jeep, then research the options and pick the ones you want. Also, look at the various trim packages....a lot of what you want may fall into a certain trim and make it easier.
Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. Jeep 720 plate

Also, definitely choose wisely when it comes to the paint color. It gets kinda tribal around here! ;)
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Since I too went with the Willys package, I did my due diligence on researching its features. From my understanding, the Rubicon shocks do have more travel than the Sport. Here's a user's Sport build that he put Rubi shocks & springs on and got 1.5" of lift. You would only need a set of springs if you get the Willys to get some lift. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4low-photo-jlu-build.4490/
You may only get an 1" from the springs... supposedly the shocks sag less due to their higher gas charge and therefore settle less than sport shocks (giving like 1/2" perceived lift). Anyway, sounds like you are on the right track about researching your options. Things I liked about the Willys: HD brakes, LSD (preferred over lockers for conditions I'll see), Rubi shocks & rock rails (the rails give it a more finished look), LED front lights (with the halo rings too), Moab rims and MT tires, rubber floor mats (slight disappointed at the drain plug fitting from the mat to the floor plug though). And as you indicated, the Willys does now have the option for the Selec-Trac transfer case. I went with white because I really like the contrast of all the black accent (grill, rims, fenders, top) against the white body.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Would not limit yourself and say never on the lockers and such. Maybe you will not but if the bug bites you after going on a trail in your first Jeep, you may go further and further. If you can afford the Rubicon, go for it - worst case is you paid for a few features you did not use.

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You know, we went down the same road in 2014 and got a Sport S and then spent the next 6 years wishing we had gotten the Rubicon. We lifted it and put on bigger tires, but were never satisfied, so this year we traded it for a Rubicon and wonder why we waited so long to do it. Get what you really want; you are only putting 6k per year, you will have it for a long time. I really like the new Snazzberry color by the way, we got Hella Yella and really like it, but it's not for everyone.

This!:rock:. I did a similar research and I am glad I went Rubicon. Good luck and either way you go, it will be phenomenal since the JL platform is!

IMG_2792.jpg

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
This!:rock:. I did a similar research and I am glad I went Rubicon. Good luck and either way you go, it will be phenomenal since the JL platform is!

Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. IMG_2792
UGH now I am second guessing myself with all of these posts

Ruby is really high in my budget. Built out the 80th Anniversary with everything I wanted (Alpine, 8.4, LED, Cold, Conv Group, 2.0 Auto) vs a Ruby

Ruby priced about $50k vs the Anniversary at $44k. Was just going to add wheels, tires, lift, etc later

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Since I too went with the Willys package, I did my due diligence on researching its features. From my understanding, the Rubicon shocks do have more travel than the Sport. Here's a user's Sport build that he put Rubi shocks & springs on and got 1.5" of lift. You would only need a set of springs if you get the Willys to get some lift. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4low-photo-jlu-build.4490/
You may only get an 1" from the springs... supposedly the shocks sag less due to their higher gas charge and therefore settle less than sport shocks (giving like 1/2" perceived lift). Anyway, sounds like you are on the right track about researching your options. Things I liked about the Willys: HD brakes, LSD (preferred over lockers for conditions I'll see), Rubi shocks & rock rails (the rails give it a more finished look), LED front lights (with the halo rings too), Moab rims and MT tires, rubber floor mats (slight disappointed at the drain plug fitting from the mat to the floor plug though). And as you indicated, the Willys does now have the option for the Selec-Trac transfer case. I went with white because I really like the contrast of all the black accent (grill, rims, fenders, top) against the white body.

Yes, I agree with all of this, and thank you so much about the shock information. This damn forum is SO full of information, a lot of times I can't remember where I read something. I think the Willys gets it done, but it is something less than a Rubicon with so many little features that really add to its appeal. I hate to say this, but at 52, I find myself wanting the damn red dash and red stitching in the interior. And worst of all, I like the stupid Rubicon hood decals. That with the little red exterior accents really adds to its looks. Other packages seem too monochrome. Some have done things to solve this, but most not. I've even been trying to figure out something custom for the hood decal if I don't go Rubicon.

The Rubicon would be great, but I feel like the approximate $5,000 premium for a lot of things I just will likely never use is a waste. The only reason I'd want one is for the unnecessary stronger, wider axles for my needs, the 4.10 gears, and those interior accents. And I strongly would rather have the LSD over lockers. It may come down to what kind of a deal I can get.

I've seen a ton of pics and videos that make us want to go out to Colorado and drive some of the trails out there. The scenery is spectacular. We do plan to tow this Wrangler out there with the motorhome in a few years, but I will not do anything technical or risk even scuffing the bottom or sides! :) Sad, right?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
..., but I will not do anything technical or risk even scuffing the bottom or sides!
Famous last words from a first time Jeep owner. You will get out there and see what your little mountain goat can do and you will giggle and back over the obstacle. You will then try something harder. I take it easy when by myself but when I have a passenger or another, I go on trails knowing a high probability of winching out.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.015 worth.

All Wranglers are great.
The Rubicon has a lot of great features that really make it that much more enjoyable on and off road.
Go with the 3.6 engine and manual gear box (I am biased)
Even if you go with the automatic, stick with the 3.6.
Just a simpler motor (i.e., less to go wrong).

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Willys have the same shocks, to include part numbers as the Rubicon. But it has the shorted Sport springs. My plan is to use JLU hartop top tow pkg springs to get 1.5-2” of lift over stock.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Famous last words from a first time Jeep owner. You will get out there and see what your little mountain goat can do and you will giggle and back over the obstacle. You will then try something harder. I take it easy when by myself but when I have a passenger or another, I go on trails knowing a high probability of winching out.
I hope not!

My $0.015 worth.

All Wranglers are great.
The Rubicon has a lot of great features that really make it that much more enjoyable on and off road.
Go with the 3.6 engine and manual gear box (I am biased)
Even if you go with the automatic, stick with the 3.6.
Just a simpler motor (i.e., less to go wrong).
Going to drive a 3.6 and 2.0 this weekend. I'm trying to remain objective, but 2.0 turbo has my attention. Should be easy to tweak on in the future, but I promised my wife I wouldn't do those kinds of things anymore. It's just that these Wranglers seem to beg for modifications...

The Willys have the same shocks, to include part numbers as the Rubicon. But it has the shorted Sport springs. My plan is to use JLU hartop top tow pkg springs to get 1.5-2” of lift over stock.
I am partially through a very long thread discussing this stuff. I'm not going to rule out those same springs, but a spacer lift will yield me exactly what I put in while the springs are a bit of gamble. I will try to watch for your results.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Yes, I agree with all of this, and thank you so much about the shock information. This damn forum is SO full of information, a lot of times I can't remember where I read something. I think the Willys gets it done, but it is something less than a Rubicon with so many little features that really add to its appeal. I hate to say this, but at 52, I find myself wanting the damn red dash and red stitching in the interior. And worst of all, I like the stupid Rubicon hood decals. That with the little red exterior accents really adds to its looks. Other packages seem too monochrome. Some have done things to solve this, but most not. I've even been trying to figure out something custom for the hood decal if I don't go Rubicon.

The Rubicon would be great, but I feel like the approximate $5,000 premium for a lot of things I just will likely never use is a waste. The only reason I'd want one is for the unnecessary stronger, wider axles for my needs, the 4.10 gears, and those interior accents. And I strongly would rather have the LSD over lockers. It may come down to what kind of a deal I can get.

I've seen a ton of pics and videos that make us want to go out to Colorado and drive some of the trails out there. The scenery is spectacular. We do plan to tow this Wrangler out there with the motorhome in a few years, but I will not do anything technical or risk even scuffing the bottom or sides! :) Sad, right?
There‘s nothing wrong with wanting the Rubicon for the aesthetic differences.

But seriously...go to Colorado and take her off road! It’s aaahhhhhhmazing!
IMG_7965-X3.jpg

IMG_7975-X3.jpg

IMG_8263-X3.jpg

I can’t wait to go back.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I went with the JLU Sport S. Firecracker Red. I did add the Rubicon tires/wheels and suspension. It makes it look and stand right. Much improved off road. One of my main wants was the upgraded Alpine Stereo(worth every penny) . I went with the hardtop, because with the Houston heat and humidity, I dont ride with the top off a lot. I also dont park in the garage. If it was in the garage, I would have gone with the soft top.
The only regret was not going with the Limited slip Axle. But, I dont do any rock crawling, so I haven't been limited off-road yet.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I'm a little surprised I what I noticed today. I ran through a dealership with 9 different Wranglers all lined up. There were 4 80th Anniversary, 2 Sport, 2 Rubicon, and. 1 Willys. What was odd was that I looked across all the hoods, and they seemed absolutely identical in height. I thought the Rubicons sat higher? I should have taken a picture, but I didn't think of it...

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
No wrong choice when you are talking Jeep. For how you mention you plan to use it, I would go with Willy's. Looks cool, can get you most place you will want to go, will allow more money for mods as it sounds like you are going to mod anyway. I'm assuming the turbo will be a benefit at higher elevations (not sure where you are towing this thing to), but for me the 3.6 is great and doesn't require premium fuel. One suggestion, if you are going to tow your Jeep, check the forum notes. I've seen some threads that point out Jeeps can be finicky when you two them on all 4 wheels.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I purchased a Rubicon because I liked the way it looked. PERIOD.

I was absolutely positive that I didn’t need all of its features (like lockers). 100% sure that I didn’t need them but if I found myself in trouble, I knew that I could use them to help me out of trouble.

Then, today. jeep Jamboree in Moab. No trouble but a BIG Fin (Fins and things) to climb and lockers “required” by the trail guides or bypass. Well, what the hell? bypass? Nah. Flip the switch and climb the wall.

Very few people need a Rubicon. Many, like me, buy them for the looks. But every now and then, it’s a blast to flip the switch and climb that literal or figurative rock wall.
Sponsored

Last edited: