DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hello everyone.

How many people out there buy their Wrangler, drive it straight home, park it in the garage and start ripping it a part?

This will be our first and its my wife's vehicle. She said "I do not want see it or drive the vehicle until its complete." In fact, she wouldn't even go to the dealership and pick it up. So here comes the delivery guy!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! 4
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! 3
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! Box 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! Box 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! Box 3
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! Box 4
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
So let me get this straight. She will never drive it. We all know it will never be “complete”. Congrats on “your” new Jeep!!!!

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I had mine two weeks before I bought 37s. I am far more patient than you.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Could you please explain why you think the offset is wrong? Thanks.
A -12 mm offset pushes your wheels pretty far outward. This increases the scrub radius which is hard on your ball joints/steering. That being said, I don't know about "wrong", you can't go from a 7.5" wheel to a 9" wheel and larger tires without decreasing offset or they will rub at full lock/stuff.

Sponsored

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
Hello everyone.

How many people out there buy their Wrangler, drive it straight home, park it in the garage and start ripping it a part?

This will be our first and its my wife's vehicle. She said "I do not want see it or drive the vehicle until its complete." In fact, she wouldn't even go to the dealership and pick it up. So here comes the delivery guy!!!!
I am not sure if this is considered parked in a garage, but yes every control arm bracket was removed before I received my permanent license plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! 1603458515410

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A -12 mm offset pushes your wheels pretty far outward. This increases the scrub radius which is hard on your ball joints/steering. That being said, I don't know about "wrong", you can't go from a 7.5" wheel to a 9" wheel and larger tires without decreasing offset or they will rub at full lock/stuff.
Thanks for the reply.:like:

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-12 wheel pushes a 12.5” tire 2.1” out. As a comparison, a +12 mm is only 1.15” out from stock and the backside of the tire is only .13” closer to the inside.
FYI, I run a 8.5” wide AEV JL +25 wheel and 37” tall tire with a Mopar lift and stock fender liners without issue. My Mopar lift required adj. LCA’s for more Caster and they came with a dogleg in them for better tire turning clearance. I adjusted the steering stops out 1/4” and have zero front tire rub issues. In the back wheel the tire contacts the stock liner but only at a bump out and this bump out can be hair dryer heated and pushed flat. When tires load up with mud they do rub due to tire dia. increase. A taller lift(3.5) or stock fender liner removal would be better for mud running.
Noted and thanks for the explanation.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply.:like:
I wouldn't worry about your wheels. Thats only a 4.53" backspacing which is around what most people will choose. The person that commented above has been on a mission this week about AEV wheels being the only acceptable offset that exists. If you'd like to look through mine or his post history, we had a bit of an exchange about it yesterday.

Will 4.53" BS wheels put more stress on ball joints and the like than a 5.77" BS? Absolutely. Is 5.77" the right backspacing for everyone's setup and use case? Nope. In my case, I'd pop tires every month if I ran 5.77" BS. (I currently run 3.5" BS and previously had 5" BS which wasn't working well)

Enjoy your Jeep, and I agree with someone else above that they are never complete.

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about your wheels. Thats only a 4.53" backspacing which is around what most people will choose. The person that commented above has been on a mission this week about AEV wheels being the only acceptable offset that exists. If you'd like to look through mine or his post history, we had a bit of an exchange about it yesterday.

Will 4.53" BS wheels put more stress on ball joints and the like than a 5.77" BS? Absolutely. Is 5.77" the right backspacing for everyone's setup and use case? Nope. In my case, I'd pop tires every month if I ran 5.77" BS. (I currently run 3.5" BS and previously had 5" BS which wasn't working well)

Enjoy your Jeep, and I agree with someone else above that they are never complete.
Thanks for the reply. It does seem like everyone has their opinion on what is best and some people will never be satisfied with what other people do to their ride.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks for the reply. I does seem like everyone has their opinion on what is best and some people will never be satisfied with what other people do to their ride.
Don't forget that you can run less offset with larger diameter tires and still maintain the same scrub radius due to camber. I feel scrub radius is the important metric, not offset/backspace. You need to consider offset/backspace in conjunction with tire diameter, then make compromises for clearance.

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget that you can run less offset with larger diameter tires and still maintain the same scrub radius due to camber. I feel scrub radius is the important metric, not offset/backspace. You need to consider offset/backspace in conjunction with tire diameter, then make compromises for clearance.
10-4

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Good luck. Don’t want to rain on the parade, just know going in that the wife “may” not like the end result. I see an awful lot of heavily modded, very low mileage “used” Jeeps around here... I really sincerely hope your bride is happy with the end result, ‘cause Jeeps are definitely NOT for everybody.

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck. Don’t want to rain on the parade, just know going in that the wife “may” not like the end result. I see an awful lot of heavily modded, very low mileage “used” Jeeps around here... I really sincerely hope your bride is happy with the end result, ‘cause Jeeps are definitely NOT for everybody.
No rain in the forecast over here. She has been down this road before. Here are some pics of her last Wrangler.
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! C3343694-861F-4601-93D1-7B25F7A02861
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! EE97AE01-031D-4FB9-9D84-54B3DCE66DA8

OP
OP
DieselJ

DieselJ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received a few more boxes. Thanks Mr Delivery guy!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Brand New and Going Up! D5A63071-0C60-465F-8A06-2638799596D7
Sponsored