The 2022 GMC Hummer Is a 1000-HP, $112,595 Electric Monster Truck

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I put a reservation on a 3x. It will be available in two years (1 year after the first edition)
So I have plenty of time to see if it's actually worth to me getting one.
If it's not, i don't have to buy it.
If it is, I already saved a place in line.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had a range rover with this.. Never Ever Ever EVER again.
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems. One reason most luxury cars can get away with dozens of gizmos with questionable reliability is that the target market only keeps the vehicle for 2-5 years before trading it in on the next Lucas Electronics-esque abomination, and the cycle repeats

Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just to put this into perspective, a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S has a 0-60 of 3 seconds...and can’t leave the pavement. It’s $128K. A loaded Escalade is about $90K and they’re extremely popular.

This isn’t a truck for the backwoods “yokel” crowd. It’s a luxury vehicle with a specific market. $100K for this Hummer is far more deserved than $65K for a Jeep Wrangler.
I don't disagree at all its for that niche market. As for a $65K Jeep I know never though prices for loaded Jeep Wrangler would ever reach this point.

OP
OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems. One reason most luxury cars can get away with dozens of gizmos with questionable reliability is that the target market only keeps the vehicle for 2-5 years before trading it in on the next Lucas Electronics-esque abomination, and the cycle repeats
I had a co-worker who picked up an old Mercedes v12 biturbo. Fun car but when the air suspension went out it was a $2k+ expense. I suppose that’s not a significant obstacle for someone who can afford a >$100k “truck”.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just to put this into perspective, a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S has a 0-60 of 3 seconds...and can’t leave the pavement. It’s $128K. A loaded Escalade is about $90K and they’re extremely popular.

This isn’t a truck for the backwoods “yokel” crowd. It’s a luxury vehicle with a specific market. $100K for this Hummer is far more deserved than $65K for a Jeep Wrangler.
Your bigot is showing...

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems.
Allroads are the absolute worst. Everything goes to hell on them.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Didn’t realize this hummer came with never seen before tires and suspension. My mistake.
Deflection, you compared the reliability of appliances to an electric offroad vehicle, now you want to talk about tires. It's ok, I was just joking with you anyways.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
No deflection. The fear is all in the electronics, rock crawling isn’t going to tax the electronic system in any special way.
I think people are a little more worried about the effects vibration and impact shock will have on the electronic components. I guess only time will tell.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Allroads are the absolute worst. Everything goes to hell on them.
Haldex in general sucks. I've had issues with every car which had the systems. When they work, they work great. The pump has a nasty habbit of clogging up though.

Back on topic though.
I don't see the point of the Hummer at this price point.
The Rivian and the Tesla are cheaper. Plus the Tesla has a way higher range. 300+ vs 500+, I think the Rivian was saying 400+ on their truck.
They all seem to be trying to come off as "off road" trucks, but I am not sure any of them really fit the bill.
The hummer is just too damn huge. The Rivian could work, but who knows. Maybe having 1 motor per wheel could help offset the lack of solid axles.
For the Tesla.. Who in their right mind would take that off road. Stainless steel giant body panels, so even the slightest ding is a specialty repair? No thanks.
I will admit having a bias to Rivian though, having some friends who work there and having seen it in person.

Eventually everything will be electric, whether we want it or not. I still do not really think that batteries are the answer in a lot of use cases. I would be more inclined towards fuel cells using hydrogen generated onboard from ammonia via membrain tech. At least you can actually bring extra fuel with you in that case.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't think I like it. For whatever it's worth, I thought H1s and H2s were pretty cool, and totally would've bought one if they still made H2s lol. I'll own up to my bad taste! I love the bling bling tonka truck.

The new one? It's interesting. For sure, the best looking truck to come out of GM in a while. I dunno what they've been thinking lately with the really weird looking grilles and whatever they did to the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Just in general, if you look at a Cadillac now and take the grille off, it'd be easy to mistake it for a Kia. It's.. really weird.

The HEV looks solid by comparison. But it's more like, I dunno, Honda Ridgeline meets Silverado? With a hummer style grille? It kinda looks like a boat.

I guess we'll have to wait and see when they end up on the road.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is... how are the electric Hummer owners going to respond when you tell them a Nissan Leaf can wade through deeper water than their $100k+ off road machine?

24” vs 27.56” (700mm)

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9plRzRZ_PY
Sponsored